Montesa 315R vs Beta Rev 3?????

Discussion in 'Trials' started by GrayEagleRider, Dec 5, 2012.

1. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some feedback from inmates with experience on the Montesa 315 and Beta Rev 3 around the 2003 model year.

I am looking at making my first trials bike purchase and considering the two bikes to get started on. I have talked to a number of people and now have the opinion that the Montesa is the overall better bike, my question is by what size margin.

Thoughts:ear
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should have correct years if you want real feed back. The 315 started in `97 -2005. The beta from 2000-2008. Lot`s of beta parts are still used today.
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Depends on whether you want to work on it (Beta) or ride it (Montesa)! :deal

:lol3

That should get lineaway fired up!

:hide
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    All right Curtis, I`ll bite. Both bikes were considered the better built at the time. You do not have a Montesa following, just a bunch of guys saying honda is better. Both bikes had flaws. The montesa had quite a following of after maket parts to `fix the weak points`. Honda riders hate to mention defects. (Most of the 315 trick parts are gone)
    The Beta is what I prefered, but that was a personal choice. Like I said before years did matter! I`d ride them both. I always felt cramped on the 315. If I remember the 315 tank was small, suspension great, power on the soft side. If you could find a real clean `04 or `05 315 even this Beta guy would say buy it. If you are comparing a `99 315 to a 2004 beta, the beta hands down.
    P.S. Curtis I was trying to be realistic!
  5. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    Both bikes I am considering are 2003 year models.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You asked and here it is. I liked every year of the rev3`s, except the yellow `03. That year of Beta was terrible. The handling and weight ratio to F and R was all messed up . Power was all wrong. I sure hope that Montesa treats you good!
  7. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    The Montesa is very clean and well maintained. Met the owner and rode the bike... felt very good. Probably going to buy it.

My delema is that while I am getting the funds/transportation lined up for the purchase a Beta of the same year has become available for a good deal less (about $500 which is roughtly about 20% of total cost of Montesa). Just trying to do a cost-benefit analysis to justify the extra cost of Montesa.
  8. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That's about all the nudge I need to go with the Montesa. I've always been fond of Hondas anyway.
  9. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I know you love your Betas and I love my Hondas...I was just pickin' on you! :deal

:lol3
  10. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    When are we going to pick it up?! :D

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
  11. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    ASAP:beer
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    So what would you consider a good price on a 06 Rev3? Low use, but not "as new". I see $3,500 as a common asking price. While I want to pay closer to $2,500. I only paid $1,000 for my Techno. So, it's hard to beleive an 06 is going to 3x more better.

What price would you jump on a nice 06 for?
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    An `06 should be bringing 3600 with the price of new bikes! But there not. The 06 is ten years newer, way lighter, actually has rear brakes, handles much better and might make you a better rider or not. That is a good honest answer!:D
    We just had a few sell here that were clean enough and sold around 2500.
  15. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I actualy got the rear brake working pretty good on my Techno. As long as you are not comming out of a deep water crossing. Then it don't work too good.

Looks like the seller is firm at $3,500. Today a Sherco 290 was listed for $2,400. Looks like new. He did not list the year, looks like 2003 from the graphics.

Any big issues with the Sherco? Is an 03 Sherco a good deal better than a Techno? 06 Rev3 woth $1,000 more?
  16. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW: You can get 11's for $4k right now. Thats half price for a 2 year old bike. Good time to buy.
  17. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    Where?:ear
  18. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.jackscycles.com/used.html

$4k would get that 11 Beta at the top of the page. (bike is in very good shape) Shipping would add around $300 if your near a forward air terminal. Seller just took delivery of a new 13 Beta and is motivated to sell the 11. (was asking $4500)
  19. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. The owner would not ship.
  20. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont think he knew that his dealer will crate and ship it for him for a reasonable price and may have changed his tune on the no shipping part. Hope you can work things out - if not, still a good time of year to buy. The new betas are in and they are sexy beasts, so many are jumping up.