GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  2. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  4. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys. I have a new Hero 3 Black. If you purchase the new skeleton case, it has openings in the side so you can run external power to the gopro. With mine, I have a large battery, called a "Morphie" inside one of my jacket pockets. I run a cable from it up to the GoPro on top of my helmet. With arrangement, I can run the GoPro all day long and not worry about battery life. I know it may seem weird, but it really is not. I use the remote to turn the camera on/off and change setting as I ride.
  5. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might get a Silver edition tomorrow from Cabela's. I have almost $200 in free points from them and they are offering another 10% back in points. It seems that people have less problems with the silver edition over the black. I also am one of the few that does not have a smart phone so the Bluetooth app doesn't matter to me.
  6. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Good info! Thanks for posting that!
  7. alaninsea

alaninsea Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info on running power. Planning on long rides so external power will help a bunch.

Alan
  8. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size memory cards are guy using now? I searched this thread but most of the ones that talk about memory cards are almost 2 years old. Best Buy has a 32GB class 10 on sale for $25.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I looked for a skeleton case on the GP website for the H3 but didn't see one, Are you talking about the frame . I considered it for ext power but the cam is too exposed for my use in the dirt, I've already replaced the lens cover on the supplied case due to a chip from a roost. I'd hate to expose a naked cam to the abuse the case gets, falls, trees etc... I'm thinking about drilling my stock case for a usb connection.

I checked out the Morphie, all day filming is great battery life. Which model are you using? I saw a 2500MAH and a 4000MAH, I'm getting about an hour per GP battery (1050MAH) I'd like to find something that will give me about 6hrs. We just finished a 3 day unsupported DS ride and I charged the batteries off the bike but it's slow and doesn't keep up with the filming. (3hrs to charge - 1 hr to deplete) :cry
  10. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/hero3-skeleton-housing
  11. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I did a test with a new Hero3 White yesterday. With an original battery pacpac it will last all day. I did ~180 miles in about 8 hours, and still had two bars left on the battery when I got home. With the old style bacpac the battery is removable so if I bring an extra battery I'm definitely covered.

I also played around with running two GoPros at once. My editing is a little rough, I hadn't done more than one camera before.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0cqOwZGBbik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
  13. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    How does that work? Isn't the Original Battery BacPac bigger than the Hero3?
  14. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The original battery is bigger, but the bacpacs are the same size.
  15. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I really don't understand now. I thought the Hero 3 is smaller than the Hero 2. So, is the Original battery bacpac an accessory that's made specifically for the Hero 3? I was assuming, from the name and it's location in the menu on the GoPro website, that it was made for an older model camera than the Hero 3.
  16. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    The Hero 3 is the same height and width as the original and Hero 2, just smaller front to back.
  17. anotherflyer

anotherflyer n00b

Oddometer:
    Got 64gb at best buy for 40. Nice for long trips. No need to download too frequently.
  18. Foo'bar

Foo'bar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before purchasing a 64 GB memory card make sure that your card reader/PC/laptop (whatever you use to copy the files on) can handle it. I prefer 2 x 32 GB rather.
  19. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    What about a waterproof case for this combo?
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It takes a different back cover, there's 2 open and waterproof and they're included with the backpack.