Creation of the 950 SuperAdvMoDuke-the path of craziness

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Head2Wind, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    argh... wtf is up with embedding youtube? f'n technology any ways... :p
  2. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Damn, I knew you had said earlier it was a family emergency but hate to hear it was like that.

Glad everything is going better.
  3. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Glad to hear that family is home and recovering. Bike experiments always take a hit when family priorities are respected!
  4. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    progress has been slow at best, can't seem to say no to working on other riders bikes cool LC8 p0Rn :D
  5. Chinookmark

Chinookmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another :lurker subscribed...
  6. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

First start is a GO! :D

and it sounds good without a muffler too :evil

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KqWDNdELpTY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. Keith

Keith Slabbing it

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

What did you use to mount the throttle bodies to the heads with? When I set them on my 950, there was a big difference in diameter, the heads being noticeably smaller in diameter.

The ID, I mean.
  8. Bafazane

Bafazane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Yes it does!
  9. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH congrats. That is such a good feeling.

:freaky
  10. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    The rubber manifolds and throttle bodies are from a 07 990 Adventure. The head manifold OD is the same between the 990 and the 950, but the ID of the port is smaller on the 950 head. I used my die grinder with a aluminum cutting bit to open it up to the ID of the throttle bodies and then blended it into the port. I might have some pictures somewhere....

Things on the list to get it completed soon:

1. Gather up some tubing so I can get the muffler/s connected up
    2. Fabricate and Mount the battery box
    3. Finish the wire harness modification/clean up
    4. Fix broken headlight or build a custom headlight
    5. Put all the body work back on it and do a shake down ride
    6. Make the fairing more like a GS :rofl
    7. Start planning the IBA 1k24 ride with SASR (he is riding his HP2) :huh
  11. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    Hung most of the plastic on the bike, need to make the decision to go 2 into 1 into 2 or into 1 muffler..... I am leaning toward 2-1-2 for several reasons. One being that if I make it 2-1-2, if I decide to put the ADV exhaust back on the bike, then the mufflers will bolt right up, and that might be a reality depending on what I want to ride.

The low pipe is going to get a skid plate, but for now the major issue is the muffler configuration.

More video fun

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-_agj20DxtQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Sweet!!! :clap

Any info on the external FP/fpr? :D:D:freaky
  13. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    I'm running a SD pump in the ADV tank right now. Basically the same thing other than the lower adapter. Its still on my list of to-do. I really want to keep the pump in tank (cooling, and room on bike... bla bla..) but move the FPR and filter external. I found a Bosch FPR that is adjustable so it can be set at the factory 51psi where most off the shelf FPR are set at 45-47psi. I also found a nice Bosch inline high pressure filter that is rated a 5-7 micron.... just need to find time to make it all happen. With the bike running and getting closer to being completed the FP/FPR/Filter project will come soon after.

I still have a 950 SE that needs most of my attention to complete by the end of this month and then a ADV that needs major service to be completed by mid/late June. Once these are done and out the door then I will have more time..... There is a 500 exc service job in the wings and a KZ1000 transmission rebuild somewhere in late June too.... :huh

At the very latest, my goal is to have the bike ready for the KTM rally this year. The ride to the rally just might be one leg of the IBA 1k24... boarding on a 1500 in 24 hour ride. We will see how that goes with Mrs H2W.:deal
  14. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    You busy man :D

I agree about the fuel pump staying in the tank.
    I'm on the road, so I can't help much but I look forward to a practical solution.
    Cheers!:clap
  15. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    I thrashed on it last night until 11PM to get it together so I could ride it to work and also have it for the weekend since the weather is supposed to be half way decent for a while. I still need to finish up the battery box, reg and start solenoid mount, then fab a skid plate..... Oh and it needs the forks gone through with stiffer springs too. I have a set of .64s that are going to go into the forks. Need to replace the brake pads up front, going to slide a set of Galfer Greens (on the shelf). I am also going to put a 'double' screen setup on it, with a few extra mods to hopefully help the slip stream/flow over my head, will have to see how it all works out.

Here is the video of it on the lift. I'm going to try to find a decent mount for the camera and shoot some riding video too, been brain storming a few ideas about do a couple microphones on the exhaust and intake to get the 'full effect' in the video....maybe. :)

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/OSC5SMovYtI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/OSC5SMovYtI?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  16. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats great!
    Would you reckon that the superduke headers will work with stock 950 cams?
    Would they fit straight on an SE?
  17. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    I don't see a reason why the 950 ADV cams and the SD header would not get along. The SD header will not directly fit a SE without moving the oil tank and cutting the center stand tabs off the frame as well as cutting the rear mount points for the skid plat off to provide clearance for the header to pass through the space.
  18. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd rather had the bad news first :lol3
    Anyway, at least I asked, since there are lots of them around at a good price.
  19. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    If you really want to run a low pipe on the SE, I _think_ that you could run a oil tank from the SM or SMT and the SM or SMT header. You will still need to cut the center stand tabs off and clip the lower section off of the bottom of the engine mount tabs in the back.

On any of the 990 headers applied to the 950 engine you have to reduce the size of the head port flange of the header so that it will fit inside the 950 port. Everything else fits the engine though.

I just modified my tune after several different attempts I think I got it pretty good. The only issue is the map has the O2 sensors turned off..... which will probably mean that MPG will suck. I'm going to keep working on the O2 enabled map, but use the one that I have in there now as a "it runs!" map. :clap

I needed something to do last night so I got out the polishing and wax compounds to knock off some of the nasty. Looks pretty nice so far, but its hard to polish out getting hit by a car in a alley :eek1
  20. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eventually I will run a low header exhaust to get rid of the heat, but I will have it custom made since I need the center stand.
    Many thanks.