Anyone ride big (>250) scooter?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by drecian, May 4, 2006.

1. drecian

drecian token asian guy

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I'm considering getting a big scooter to commute and just to play around on. I would get a bike, but the storage compartments on a scooter make them seem so much more practical to me.

So anyway, had anyone had any experience with the Honda NSS250 Forza/Reflex scooter? This is what i'm mailnly looking at as I like the sharp lines. If anyone could chime in with any experience on Yamaha T-Max it'd be cool as it is my main other choice, albeit a little pricier. These are my two main options (buying used) due to pricing and availability where I am.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

:1drink
  2. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Big Ruckus and a Piaggio BV500. Both are great fun and awsome commuters. The Pig will run up to 95, and does so in a hurry. If I'm not in as much of a hurry, it's BR time. Of course, the Bug Ruckus looks much cooler...:1drink
  3. ketchup57

ketchup57 Fundamentally Weird

Oddometer:
    I ride the Yamaha Majesty as does my Father - fun ride, even done some dirt roads - Dad rides the Majesty as his commuter about a 40-50mi round trip 5 days a week. Lots of storage and weather protection, even added hand gaurds and grip heaters to his ride for the winter riding...
  4. leapfrog

leapfrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride Suzuki Burgman 400, did maybe 500 miles around southwest Ca this weekend. Today I went to the store on it and bought milk and garbage bags- it has a great trunk :ricky

"d"
  5. Jonniedee

Jonniedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    80 mile work RT daily on a Burggie 650 -
    you can speed battle the cars on the super slab and pass 'em on the tight inner city streets NO PROBLEM :clap
  6. alyef

alyef Bikeless

Oddometer:
    How difficult is it to do the maintanence of the Burgman 400?
  7. leapfrog

leapfrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My husband does all the basic maintenance. The only thing he has done so far is change the oil. But he does all the maintenance on his Vstrom also, except change his tires. Seems easy for him :rofl
  8. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this should be how hard is it to change the belt and how often.
  9. Oops409

Oops409 Tom

Oddometer:
    I have a 2001 Reflex scooter. Bought it for the wife used in October 2004 ($2,500 with 2,200 miles on it). I use it more than she and usually commute to work on it daily (7 miles round trip), except when there is rain or snow. It now has almost 6,000 miles on it. I love it and get more compliments on it than from any other bike I have. Maintenance is very easy including the belt change. I have not needed to change the belt but did remove it to take out the second gear rollers. This greatly increases the 35-50mph performance and many owners seem to do it. Top speed on a flat area is just over 80mph. I get between 70 and 100mpg but ususlly 70 as I drive it hard - wore out the rear tire at 4,500 miles. I love this little machine.:D
  10. flipr

flipr Scofflaw

Oddometer:
    Day to day maintenance/checks are very easy, oil/filter change easy. Valve adjust is easy once you gain access... serious tupperware removal required for access. Check/service drive-belt, rear-drive, all filters... change sparkplug anytime tupperware is removed for valve adjust/check. Body panel removal is time consuming... use service manual to prevent problems.

OT: Big Ruckus Valve Adjust is easy and requires minimal removal of tupperware for access.
  11. leapfrog

leapfrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    found this post on a different site-

"Well after 20,000 miles I finally got around to replacing the drive belt. I found a wonderful strap wrench at the local ACE hardware store that did a great job of holding the clutch housing and crank shaft fan still while I removed their 24mm nuts with my impact wrench set on low. The hardest part was removing the cover under the platic cover because of the locating pins and the tight fit over the bearing on the end of the rear axel. Using two L shaped brake tools and gentel wiggiling teased it out. Once the two nuts were off you only have to slide the clutch out a little to change belt. The belt was still withing Suzuki's tolerance for width, and I found no evidence of cracking or glazing. The clutch shoes in the housing also look hardly worn. Probably because I do mostly long distance communting, and hardly ever get caught in traffic. " :deal