A different kind of Versys

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tonymorr, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ginnioz

ginnioz www.yourbit.com.au

Oddometer:
    looks like a great project - when do you expect it done? (can't wait :))
  2. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Thanks;

I expected it done a month ago:cry I going to get going on it again this week and really figure some things out. I suspect it won't be done when I start riding it. I'm thinking it will evolve into what I want.....slowly.
  3. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    I'm going back to using the WP forks. Machining my own triple clamps, using the stock stem and ignition switch location.
  4. Coelomate

Coelomate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome idea! I'd be tempted to do something simmilar, but the wheel and fork swaps would likely be way out of my mechanical range...
  5. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Well, I know it's been awhile. I've been busy with other things :-( The latest developement is that over the weekend I realized that the '08 KLR forks are 41mm, they will fit right in the triples of my Ninja. I have some on the way along with caliper, master, and axle. I'm still going to use the Vstrom 19" front wheel. Initial measurements are very promising. The weight of the naked Ninja is not too far off fromthe '08 KLR so spring rates should be close. I really wanted to use the WP forks but in the interest of time I'm going ot go a different (easier) route for now. Forks won't be here till early next week. I'm going to work on relocating the footpegs in the meantime. Also need to figure out which bend bars to get........

More info coming soon.
  6. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy Shite! :eek1 :eek1 :eek1

:thumb

So uhhhh... You'll be riding it to Cromag?? How "done" is it? Review! Review! :clap
  8. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    I'll report later today, gotta do this work thing. Argh! :cry
  9. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    WHAT HE SAID.. WOW!!! :clap:clap:clap
  10. Kynosis

Kynosis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow!! that looks awesome!!
  11. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work! I'd like to hear a ride review, and what extra tweaking may be needed. BTW, you are putting a silencer back on, right?
  12. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Nuh ah, loud pipes save lives baby! :csm

Yes, I am putting a silencer back on. I'm going to put the stocker back on for now so I can ride it. The stock can has got to weigh 20 lbs. I'm not kidding, it's crazy heavy. I want to get the exhaust out from underneath the bike. I was thinking a low, side exit carbon fiber two brothers. Anyone know a good custom exhaust shop? I also want to modify the oil pan so the drain plug isn't as low. I think it just sticks down like that so it's easier to drain when the plastics are on. Imagine a bike manufacturer making it easy to change the oil! I have a guy that can do the welding for me. He can weld anything. Will probably do all that stuff over the winter.

Sorry, that's all i have time for right now. I promise I will give more details and maybe a preliminary ride report before the weekend is over. I won't have a front rotor till early next week so the first ride might be interesting. Wish me luck:wink:
  13. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Thanks, keep the ideas comin. I'm heading out camping overnight but just checked in so here's a quick response. I'm thought about making a whole new peg bracket as I think I'm going to want the pegs lower and more forward. I'm going to leave the stock baracket because I'm going to be mounting Stormcases(Pelicans) and need something to hold the bottom of the bracket. I think I'm going to try these.... [​IMG]

The tail will be covered by the cases so you won't really see it much. I may just cut the plastic so the bags can fit in tight as possible.

Off to camp, more info tomorrow......
  14. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, it WAS a silly question....I assumed you'd tend to the exhaust, but was curious about how. I think the Versys/Ninja has two key areas that MUST be addressed prior to even considering dual sport duty.

You've done the front end/wheel, which is one. The low exhaust is another. That's probably easier to attack than the front wheel, because you have plenty of room to be creative. I imagine that an upswept exhaust pipe with a can on one side just behind a side panel would work best. The trick will be getting the pipe bent to the correct angles, and then getting a suitable silencer. Mounting the silencer will require welding at least one tab on the frame. Also, you might have to do without a side panel, which may be no biggie if you're planning using Pelican bags.

Frankly, I'm ambivalent about the passenger pegs. I do think a third issue to consider is lengthening the rear suspension. I don't know if the frame geometry would allow that, and then if it's possible to get a different shock setup that would work. The stock rear suspension wouldn't keep me away from riding it like a dual sport, but it would impact how I could ride it and to some extent, where.

Regarding the oil drain plug, wouldn't the Happy Trails skid plate protect that? I'd want a skid plate for dual sport use anyway, so if that does work I'd just declare victory and move on.

Anyway, congrats again for the great work. I look forward to the next update.

We'll look forward to your next update.
  15. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    So, I got all the loose ends tied up enough so I could ride last night about 9:30. Just rode it into Saratoga and then to a freinds house. Adjusted the bars and levers a few times. What a hoot! Here's some pics. Remember.....it's not done yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    What do you plan to do for the front brakes? Nice work.
  17. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow... I mean WOW!!! Someone at Kawasaki corporate really needs to see that bike. They have the parts literally in the bins to build it tomorrow.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  18. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Using the '08 KLR caliper. The KLR uses a 280mm rotor. I'm going to use an '03 SV650 rotor. It's 290mm so I may have to turn a little off the O.D. The offset (none) seems to be right. I found one, it's in the mail.

P.S. Yes I'm going with a single disc. It works on the KLR.
  19. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    Awesome work. This is what Kawi should be building.

Although with a high pipe and a recessed drain plug.

Keep it coming!
  20. lonewolf121

lonewolf121 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been watching the work you have done on your bike; but came to have a peak after your recent post in another forum. Man that thing is looking sweet! :nod