SMALL bike camping thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by RAZR, Dec 2, 2010.

1. FirstLight

FirstLight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the 180 Tack stove? I heard about it this week on The Survival Podcast (which is awesome BTW). It looks really sturdy and compact. Demo videos are on the site:

http://www.180tack.com/
  2. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Cool design, fairly similar to the emberlit. I'm planning on getting an emberlit as I can use it with a soda can stove, loose burning material, other stoves, etc.

http://www.emberlit.com/
  3. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    Another cool stove. He even sells stainless steel chopsticks on his web site!
  4. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check fire restrictions carefully for the wood stoves. There are a lot of places with strict regulations where you can't use those. I really like my esbit stove. Tiny, boils water quickly and you can just bring as many tablets as you know you'll need, don't have to estimate like for gas stoves and it always works! (I use a small windscreen with it, but you could just pile up some rocks)

However, everything I eat only requires hot water, no steaks! :cry:rofl
  5. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    That's the nice thing about some of these collapsible stoves that are more than a simple grill. They will function as a wood stove when needed and allowed, but will also make a fantastic windscreen and pot holder for using some other source of heat (soda can stove, penny, stove, whatever).
  6. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Hey fellas... I've been using one of these from Monoprice and it's worked very well. I keep it in my tank bag during the day & charge it off my Powerlet-to-USB adapter.. then at night in the tent I can hook my devices to it. Since I run several video/photo cams I always have multiple batteries ready, but don't have a backup iPhone or Sena headset, so I can charge these overnight. This thing is small, about the size of my iPhone, it will also charge my iPad if I have it for journaling or updating RRs on the trail.. (most of the time thats at home :)

[​IMG]

Thought I'd throw it out there..

Monoprice External Battery Pack
  7. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also bought something like this recently, the TeckNet model with 7000mA(7A) rating. Will be great for charging phone and using lights that run off or charge by USB.

8. mookybird

mookybird Gramps

Oddometer:
    I've often considered the Enduro Star Trail Stand but since I live in wooded country and carry a small folding saw I've always just cut a piece of wood to serve the purpose, now if someone was to figure a way to get the two sides pieces of that grill to also go together and make a trail stand I'm in.

Here's a homemade stove I made out of a sheet of titanium that uses a beer can pot, it all folds up and goes in the grey bag in the first photo. I've used this for years and it has a small piece of mesh that allows air under the fire which makes it work well on fuel that can be hard to burn. Obviously this is for use in the non fire season which we have a lot of here on the Olympic Peninsula.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. mookybird

mookybird Gramps

Oddometer:
    I've often considered the Enduro Star Trail Stand but since I live in wooded country and carry a small folding saw I've always just cut a piece of wood to serve the purpose, now if someone was to figure a way to get the two sides pieces of that grill to also go together and make a trail stand I'm in.

Here's a homemade stove I made out of a sheet of titanium that uses a beer can pot, it all folds up and goes in the grey bag in the first photo. I've used this for years and it has a small piece of mesh that allows air under the fire which makes it work well on fuel that can be hard to burn. Obviously this is for use in the non fire season which we have a lot of here on the Olympic Peninsula.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Spad

Spad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing about making that Grilliput work as a trail stand (especially since the grill holes would theoretically make it very adjustable). For that matter, the same could be done with one of the collapsible buck saws. Combine the three and I think there's a market here waiting to be tapped!

- Spad
  11. DCMC

DCMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the spirit of going smaller, I realized I don't even come close to using a full sale container of any of this on one short trip. These smaller bottles (REI; about $1 ea.) make my kit a little smaller and lighter, and I still have all I need for a trip.

Bug stuff, camp soap, sunscreen. It's hard to write on this little boogers:
    [​IMG]
  12. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good tip DCMC.

Just a reminder to put some duct tape over the tops of the ones with spouts. When they are packed sometimes the spout nubbins get pulled up and a lot of your soap gets ejected. Ask me how I know:D.
  13. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love all of the little bottles - I have a huge free collection from staying in hotels. I always put those in a ziplock bag. Sometimes I forget to label them, I once put lotion instead of condition in my hair.:rofl:rofl:rofl
  14. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

what team ftb said is true and has happened to me as well.

i use a long piece of electrical tape cuz you can take the tape off and tape it to the side of the bottle while at camp and then reuse it to tape the top down.

OR

THIS or THAT might be better than the 2 ones on the left in the pic(i see the Nalgene on the right).

i've tried all 3 and would say i like the Nalgene ones i posted the link to. the Go Toob is cool but i don't feel 100% about it spilling in my gear.

also, separate all your toiletry liquids in freezer or heavy duty ziplock bags, so if it does explode, it's not on your sleeping bag/clothing/etc.
  15. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread, skipped from page 17 but subscribed and will go back. Long ago avid backpacker so I have the basic camping stuff. Here is my deal. Doing a fly and ride out of Richmond Virginia back to New Mexico. Buying a KLR.

[​IMG]

So I have never been on road trip on a motorcycle. I owned a street bike a few years ago, but very limited road riding experience. My longest trip on a road bike was about 3 hours. :eek1

I have been riding moto trials for over 25 years, I am 51 years old. Over 100 nationals in all those years and been riding between and over trees and in the rocks all my life. Recently purchased a XR250R street legal so I am officially licensed and preparing for a large trip. Been having a blast riding forest roads and techy single track.

I was told that all you need to ride around the world cheaply is a KLR and a milk crate.

I don’t think I will be packing as light as you guys but my intent is to go with essentials and a few perks. I will be riding for over 3 weeks. I may do the TAT through Arkansas. Gonna stop at my Mothers home in Kentucky.

I will likely start a ride report, but not sure yet and if so, I will link you inmates. Wish me luck and any advice or suggestions is appreciated. A very long journey starts with the first step right? In this case, the first twist of the throttle, mileage ZERO.
  16. mookybird

mookybird Gramps

Oddometer:
    Thats a great looking KLR, I bought an 04 about a year ago and put 17K on it before selling it in July. I spent many 6 to 800 mile days on it and found it comfortable and honest. I had a lot of fun riding sportsman level trials events in southern california a few years back, great group of guys and I would still do it if I lived in the same area.

Enjoy your trip and if you need to borrow some gear for it let me know, I've done some buy n fly's and they are great fun but it can be a challenge to gear up for a bike you don't have yet. I have lots of xl jackets and pants, some heated gear and a giant loop coyote that your welcome to if needed. Heck I think I have a wolfman tank bag stored away as well. I recently returned from a 5K ride on my xr400 and don't have any more long trips on the immediate horizon so your welcome to borrow what you need and mail it back when you get home. Denny
  17. russellkt

russellkt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This little piggy is headed to the ozarks for three days...

[​IMG]

Feel too heavy but rain and lows in 30s forced a last minute change to a 20F synthetic sleeping bag which occupies almost the entire drybag

Right Tank Pannier - ATV tank bag with grommets to add straps
    Folding Saw
    0.5L Oil in Fuel Bottle
    0.5L Water

Left Tank Pannier - ATV tank bag with grommets to add straps
    Tool Kit
    Slime Air Compressor
    Valve Stem Tool
    Vice Grips
    Duct Tape
    Electrical tape
    Rags

Headlight Bag - Mountainsmith hip pack wrapped around forks underneath headlight
    21” Front Tube
    Tube Repair Kit
    Tube Patch Kit
    2 Tire Irons
    Extra pair of protective glasses

Giant Poop Pants Bag

Right Leg
    15 L Sea to Summit Dry Bag
    Silk Long Johns
    Terramar Silk/Wool Long Johns
    700 Fill Down Jacket
    Merino Wool Long Sleeve Tshirt
    Merino Wool Insulated Zip
    SmartWool Skiing Socks
    Beanie
    Lightweight Gloves
    Hammock
    Hammock Straps

Left Leg
    Tyvek Envelope
    6 Tent Stakes
    2.5 mm line
    Bug Net
    Machete
    10x10 Tarp

Overland Drybag
    Compression Sack
    6 packages of wild planet sardines in marinara
    3 packages wild planet tuna
    Kimchi
    20F Synthetic Sleeping Bag(way bigger than I’d like)
    4L Wine Bladder

Underneath Bag
    Lightweight Camp Shoes
    Fire Glove

Stock Toolkit

CamelBak Backpack
    3 L water
    First Aid Kit
    TP
    Camp Soap
    Kelty triptease line
    Emergency Blanket
    Rubber Gloves
    Maps/Waypoints Printed
    Almonds

Riding Gear
    Scorpion Helmet
    Scott Goggles
    Fox MX Boots
    Cortech Jacket(pads removed)
    Camera
    Old garmin etrex for emergency use
    SixSixOne Compression Suit
    Shift Recon Over the Boot Pants
    2 pair thin quick dry socks
    Capilene 1 Long Sleeve Tshirt
    Leather Gloves

I'm way heavier than I wanna be so will update when I get back.
  18. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Nice, have fun! I've got two days to ride next week, also considering heading to the Ozarks as I can get out there and back fairly easily.
  19. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

I have been using Go Toobs for years in my travels both on a bike and while on tour traveling worldwide. Mine get a lot of use, very handy to be able to carry under the 3 oz limit for carry on baggage when flying, and that amount is enough for most of my rides too.
    Never had one leak yet and really think it's a great product.
  20. DCMC

DCMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been nerding hard :type here at the command center to show you the packing list v2, now with more farkles! It started when I went car camping with a friend and provided 90% of the equipment. To stay organized I used the moto list and added some color coding, a status column, and name coloring to make it easier for me to pack.

The car camping list
    [​IMG]

The food; life is sweet with a double wall tent and a big cooler.
    [​IMG]

The company
    [​IMG]

and Winelamp! (improvised from the wine and a bicycle headlight)
    [​IMG]

After all that excitement, I came home and updated my packing list: The packing list v2. The actual gear in the list is pretty much a mess, as it's in between trips, but hey—it's an example :fitz One thing I realized from the pie chart is that I have a big opportunity to decrease weight by carefully going over my toolkit, as it's 18% of the weight.
    [​IMG]

And in keeping with small bikes bit of this thread, I passed a yellow air-cooled 250 while I was riding through georgetown the other day. I was walking along Mass Ave. later that day and saw it parked, so I have a picture. What year would you say it is?

[​IMG]