Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. tvan

tvan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day Everyone,

Noticed of late when I go into "Where to" and pick an address that my GPS has trouble calculating and comes up with not enough memory.
    Looked in memory and it shows 1% , can't seem to figure this out, can anyone steer me in the right direction please
  2. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Atlas,,,walking away helped and can see in Basecamp the CNNA NT.
    BUT NOW where is "mapinstall"? is that something else I have to buy or download from somewhere?
    Is it on the CNNA NT CD?

In old topo mapsource, I could check the blocks of maps I'd like to install and topo would install.
    That tool that was shown on mapsource isn't shown on the Basecamp toolbar, so I'm assuming I must have the mapinstall thing.
    God this is hard.
    Is it possible to pack everything up in a box and send Montana and software to Garmin to put CNNA NT? Spent the whole day,,,,,,,,,almost 9 hours now looking and pressing buttons.

Help!

3. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is usually installed with BaseCamp. Are you PC or Mac?

Similar functionality is available with MapInstall.

The step by step information is available from the linked page for each method and for each OS version.

You must conquer this exercise yourself if you ever wish to master your Montana GPSr. Installing maps and data is the simple part. Making you Montana function as you desire will take even more patience.

But, you are getting closer, I can feel it.
  4. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Yep, we're getting closer.

I'm using a Pc. Was hoping with the CNNA nt in the map box, that by simply pressing the icon showing "arrow pointing at GPS", the maps of Canada and US would load to Montana.
    Instead,
    It goes to "Birdseye Imagery Device Activation"
    Then at progress bar begins with:
    Please wait while we contact Garmin servers to verify device activation.
    Followed by new pop-up error:
    "Error contacting Garmin servers. Would you like to try again?"

I'm of course not interested in Birdseye view.
    JUST simply want CNNA NT on the Montana.

Don't give up on my dumb ass!
    We're getting closer.:lol3

5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Madhouse, if you can see your CNNA map set in BaseCamp now, then it is easy to get it onto the Montana:

While you are in BaseCamp, with the map set you want selected in the drop-down menu at the top, right click on the destination in the GPS unit (the unit "internal storage" or the "User Data" folder on the card) and then right-click and tell it to install the maps. Example below, of loading maps onto a microSD card in the unit:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  6. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:

Not exactly what your specs were but this dosen't blow around at all. A quick loop and it's on or off.

[​IMG]
  7. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the way I roll.
  8. Boughton

Boughton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I have finally been able to download the CNNA DVD to my computer and push the maps to the GPS. However the CNNA I got is 2013.1 and now I need to upgrade to 2013.4.

When you download a map upgrade does it go to the montana directly? How do I know if I have enough space on the montana 600. Will I need to get a sd card to make the upgrade? I have tried multiple times with map updater and garmin express, but the download seizes up, could it be my internet speed that is not allowing it to download? I know it's a large file.

Thanks for all the help.
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only use MapUpdater, and I start the process in the evening before I go to bed, and it is finished when I wake up in the morning.

I have a 60meg internet connection, still takes 2~3 hrs to download CNNA updates.
  10. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    This icon?

Won't give up so long as you do not :)
  11. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Lifetime Map Updater is always running on my Mac and when there's an update available, it downloads automatically, then tells me when it's ready to update the gps. I find this much more reliable than Garmin Express which is defective, in so many ways, that it must be embarassing to Garmin.
  12. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lifetime updater quit working for me with the last two CNNA updates.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Now that you mention it, I recall I had to go looking for the map update file which had been downloaded to my computer and double click it to apply it, and complete the map update the last couple of times.

Express, on the other hand, is constantly telling me a map update is available even though it's already been applied. And it also says that vehicles and voices can't be used by the Montana, which is wrong.
  14. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Express is only useful for nuvi's. Works well with my 3790, but that's all. Tons of misinformation for all my 'On the trail' GPS units.

I don't even list Express in my wikis because I do not want to mislead anyone. (Hello, Garmin?)
  15. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    I am also having a similar problem installing from the DVD, and I have installed maps on countless GPSs in the past.

When installing the maps, it eventually gets to a screen where it gives three time estimates: one for downloading, one for preparing maps, and one for installing maps on GPS. The process never gets past the downloading phase. With about 5 minutes left of the download process, the text changes from downloading, to verifying files, and then suddenly jumps to the next screen where it says Your Maps are All Up To Date, skipping the Preparing Maps and Installing Maps phases. There is no new map on the Montana after it does this.

I have sent a message to Garmin Customer Service and will give them a call early this week.

Eric
  16. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

You CAN NOT INSTALL MAPS DIRECTLY TO YOUR GPSr FROM THE DVD.

Maps must FIRST be installed to your computer, THEN sent to your GPSr.

Read Here.
  17. APBlack

APBlack nOOb on a fly

Oddometer:
    Whoa... I have been so having the same problems with getting CNNA back on my Montana. Yep it was on there and working OK until the update map came out. I activated my nuvi lifetime update card and downloaded the new map. Fired up the GPS and got an error saying the map could not be unlocked. Checked it with Javawa and that show an error with duplicate maps or data. In the end I ended up deleting all the maps and both mapsource and basecamp and started over. I got basecamp only and the Topo 100k loaded and working OK but CNNA will not install. If I try to download from Garmin it only will do it with Garmin Express and it always ends in an error and if I try to reload it from the CD I bought it tells me my code on the big green sticker that is on the CD package is not the correct code yet its the one I used when I originally installed it.

I walked away from this last week. I needed a little longer time away from the computer. And this is windows 7

So today's question is why would the code for the CD not be correct today when it worked before.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I think the code's not working because your Lifetime Map Update has a new code for the map. Your original code is no longer of any use to you. I think you should log on to http://my.garmin.com and see what licence codes you can find there which apply to your maps.

This is the Maps tab on my account on http://my.garmin.com As you can see, each map has its own code.

[​IMG]

And if any of those of you having problems with an update which supposedly was downloaded and applied but your maps are still the previous version, and are using a Mac computer, check to see if the map update is still waiting to be applied.

[​IMG]

To apply the update on my computer I had to go to the location and double-click the file, and it then was applied.
  19. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone helping us get City Navigator on our Montana's.

I'm not there yet. I see the memory card F but right clicking on it does nothing.

Any more thoughts?
    Gotta leave for work and will continue tonight.
    Thanks again!

EDIT !
    Pressed on the Montana's internal space and THAT drop down box appeared. Went ahead and selected to place City Navigator there.
    Said it could take serveral hours.
    I pressed all the buttons neccassary and off it went.
    Will see if it works tonight when I get back home.
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Right click the line with the folder icon and User Data, not the line that says memory card.