2012 Score Baja 1000 Point to Point race

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Baja Dad, Aug 23, 2012.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    word on the streets is El Chapparal could be the only crossing headed south at San Y. Probably just rumors. it's hard to get answers that mean anything from the messicans.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    There was more than one southbound crossing at San Y before??? Except for the hairpin turn just in front of the old crossing, the new one looks fine to me. Is there a problem? Eventually the Gringos will modify their side so we will go straight into the new crossing and it will be just as simple as before......right?
  3. beechum1

Oddometer:
    I mention because of the turn that, as the news articles have put it, bottleneck the flow the traffic. It goes from 10 lanes to 2 to 4 to the crossing. And if most of you don't know how mexicans drive, lanes and waiting turns and respect and courtesy mean nothing to most (that you will encounter in border towns). If the old gate is closed, and one arrives during any kind of rush hour, it will be an infuriating exercise in trying to understand how they can act like no one else exists.

Minute 3 of that video is just a speck of what to expect when there is traffic.
  4. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Copy that! Nothing like a bunch of TJ locals going from a bunch of lanes down to one! Jajajajajaja! A free for all to say the least! Imagine doing that at rush hour with a race car on a trailer!
  5. beechum1

Oddometer:
    No thanks buddy. That's why I cross with a bike everyday. F that S. I did that for a few years, and learned my lessons in messican civility the hard way. Now that i think of it, so did some of them.... :jomomma
  6. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa there tonto.

I think you might want to check some facts. They are measured lumen. As an engineered product the lupine is still ahead of what bd are doing.

My post was an example of where MTb racing lights are relative to what BD are doing.

I think bd are actually applying a lupine like standard to building LEDs now which can only be a good thing.
  7. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow that looked remarkably easy. What am I missing?

Were those bays inspection bays? I thought the crossing was all heavily armed us soldiers?

Or because it's southbound it's the easy way?

I couldn't believe the ease how he did it. Who checks your passport ?
  8. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    MTB light technology, when it comes to desert racing, is meaningless. What is important to us is how far out the light projects. A mountainbiker does not worry about this because it is rare (and often fatal) that a mtb rider exceed 80mph. Todays LED's are pleanty bright (measurement of Lumens, right?) but to get the light far enough so as to not outrun your vision and to avoid a hot spot(s) in the pattern are the concerns I see as important (in addition to reliability/handling characteristics/ease of mounting/weight). That is why you see a the KTM factory bike with HID and LED.
  9. beechum1

Oddometer:
    You're missing about 5000 other cars trying to do the same thing.

First was the border crossing, the lights and the gates. Then the inspection area yes. Headed south, that's the "primary" inspection, and the "secondary" inspection is where you get told to go if you have something that someone may be able to "tax" as an import.

Going north, the "primary" inspection is where the first guard is, and "secondary" is where you're sent if you're suspected of having contraband.

occasionally, there will be US BP and ICE checking southbound cars. usually on friday afternoon and saturday mornings and randomly throughout the rest of the week.

Passport doesn't get checked headed south. They don't care about that, only your "taxable" items.

It WAS easy. as I mentioned, because there was very little traffic. If you've driven in LA et al, you'll be accustomed to the level of traffic, but now just imagine it's a free for all, on the shoulder, shooting gaps, getting to the front... and then add assholes like me on a Goldwing doing the same thing. Coming back after the race will be heavy traffic headed north too. If you don't already, get your passport card. Expedite it. pay whatever it takes. The difference in line could possibly be hours. And I mean, the quick line (ready lane, RFID) could be 2 hours, the slow line (non RFID) could be 5 hours. I wouldn't doubt it.
  10. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MTb racing lights are where dirt bike tech is getting its ideas from. That is very clear. Lupine has ditched hid as its primary light 2-3 years ago. Look at the Cree u3 LEDs they're using.

MTb tech is very relevant as desert lights adopt to the better light output of LEDs. The driver is weight and light output which are both important for dirt bikes and mtbs.

These German made lights are extreme - at over $1100 for one set they are expensive too.

5 of these lights configured into 1 would be measured 18000 lumens. And about $6000 after fitting.
  11. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:

You totally missed my point, but whatev's.:freaky
  12. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    BTDT :huh

Cinco horas coming back through Otay from the 500
  13. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Yo Tambien. But at least there was pleanty of food and shopping!:lol3
  14. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just checked the SCORE 1000 site - the GPX file that I downloaded only has 390 waypoints when I opened it up in Mapsource - which should load no problem for a 60 i would think.

http://www.score-international.com/..._FOR_RACE_INFORMATION/2012.aspx#downloads_tab
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    An hour and a half yesterday at 07:30 through San Y.
  16. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    DO NOT GET THE PASSPORT CARD ALONE. YOU CAN NOT FLY USING THE PASSPORT CARD. If injured it will slow things down, take your passport. Yes, the Ready Line is somewhat better, but EVERYONE in the vehicle must have either the passport card or an RFID passport. Do not try to get in the SENTRI lane with out the specific SENTRI pass, SENTRI lane is not Ready lane. You will be sent to the end of the regular line!!!!
  17. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Ready lane or regular?
  18. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Regular!
  19. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    TIC Tic TIC !!!!!!
    I cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This race is going to be a BLAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap
  20. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just arrived in escondido tonight. One more sleep till Xmas!
    Pick up lights at bd tomorrow and then I'm headed over the border and prerunning till the race!