RallyBlitz - Rally iPhone App

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Do you classify that as destructive or nondestructive testing?
  2. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Hey we actually had to clean that toilet so no one would puke.

We really weren't going for destructive and used the new phone with no service, Derek didn't have any confidence so he passed on using his. Next we'll put in a real one and call it.

Have to get some work done though.

Best part is this app works great!

[​IMG]
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Shut up and take my money

Is it the intention for the case to handle daily removal. And is the clear portion intended to be UV resistant?

And why not just add some volume buttons? Surely something with some O rings would provide the necesary protection while allowing for the minimal Δ to actuate the buttons.
  4. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    There are a couple interesting things in that photo.
  5. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is what I thought.

the remote basically negates the need for compromising the case with volume adjustments.
  6. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Jeremy, I dont think there is a clear cover, the case seals against the iphone's screen via an Oring. That is, I think that's how it works.
  7. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Redundancy.

[​IMG]

slip fit for the button. The O ring allows for the .5mm axial movement and a cup on the inside positively captures the phone's button
  8. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great work, Paul.
    That case looks indestructible.

You've proved water resistance beyond any doubt.
    What about overheating of the phone? Being plugged in also adds heat because of the battery charging.
    How about leaving it under a 1kW halogen light bulb over night? :wink:

It's a shame that Apple changes the size of these phones every year.
    I use a Pelican case for similar actions.

[​IMG]
  9. beechum1

Oddometer:
    See if you can make the rear cover from two different materials. Finned alum near the battery to dissipate heat. If it doesn't interfere with the radios.
  10. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    I heard someone was working on a cable? :evil

While that would work Jeremy, it would be tough to cut for those itty bitty buttons. Using the remote I can do all I need til the cable gets here. The glass is exposed and you can use every app in there, speedo, map and almost phone, doesn't sound very clear.

This is a very good point and the last thing left to test, it doesn't overheat sitting on the desk charging, but does get warm. In direct sunlight in the desert could be way different, will start with a small shade and go bigger as needed. Might just need to dump water on it every once in a while. :rofl

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see what else Phil and Rich will be coming up with.
  11. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Wow...I am glad that the toilet was clean. It was a good excuse to scrub it down.

This is a very cool design for the phone. Apple changes their dimensions for sure, but at the least the hardware functions are pretty consistent.

A cable/black box for the switches is in process. I have a couple of options working and some of them may be DIY but I can list out the parts.

Rich is heads down on some new features and other projects we have. We love seeing pictures of the App in use, though toilet flushing videos are good too.

-Phil
  12. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    May be a watercooling kit is in order :lol3

I see some new handguards for the 'suspension' handlebars... You've been really busy Paul :happay
  13. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    Maybe add a Peltier cooler inside the box with some heatsink fins on the outside.
  14. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Cool idea. Thermo Electric coolers use a lot of juice though.
  15. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the app compatible with the iPhone 3G? I have an old one hiding in a drawer somewhere and it would be great to get my rally nav setup started for so little money!
  16. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    I am successfully running the app on an iPhone 3GS that us using ios 6.1.4

Rally blitz requires using ios 6 or newer and there is a small bug when used in ios6 but it isn't a deal breaker. Also, there is a smoking deal going on the MAGELLAN TOUGHCASE for the older iPhone/iPod touch right now on ebay.
  17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah that's to bad, iPhone 3G will run only upto iOS 4.3.1....
  18. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    NX250 - That bug will be fixed in the next update. We've restructured the design just a bit. Should be fine for IOS 6.

Bass - I'll let Rich chime in on this. I'm not sure the details with the 3G but I know Apple is lame about "encouraging" people to newer devices. There is a technical reason that Rich is using IOS6 and higher. I know that doesn't help you any, but if it is any consolation, 3GS's can be found on craigslist really cheap. Ugh - I just noticed you are in the UK. I know they are not that cheap over there. Sorry.

Speaking of the next update...does anyone think this item in the upper left will be of value?

[​IMG]

One other question...When I designed the App I wanted to keep the screen as clean and high contrast as possible, but we were wondering if we need some light background shapes to show where you need to tap (four areas: odo up/down, trip meter, setup). We would make it configurable so it could be turned off, but we don't want to waste the development cycles if no one will use it. For me it is easy to know where to tap, but that's because I've been using it from the beginning!
  19. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    A total hack job prototype, but it works.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rXXtHrCeeEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. Whatever Dood

Whatever Dood No title available

Oddometer:
    The general rule of thumb is to support the latest iOS release as well as the previous, which is why the app requires 6.1 or higher. Supporting older iOS versions is possible but it complicates the codebase because Apple adds and removes features with every major revision of iOS. That said, I'll add looking into supporting older iOS versions to the TODO list!