Great Ride through GS Heaven and Hell

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OZZY-DUCK, Sep 30, 2011.

1. OZZY-DUCK

OZZY-DUCK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Firstly please be patient everybody this is my first ride report so be kind.

Well we have been looking forward to this trip for a while.
    6 days of riding, camping and exploring the South Australian outback.

Three of us will be tackling this trip
    Dave on the R1200GSA (J-Lo)
    Pete on the R1150GS
    and me on the F800GS

We have all spent the last few months getting our bike's ready for the trip.
    To many of you guys this trip wont seem like much but to us it was a real adventure.

Day 1

After alot of stuffing around we finally got our shit together and left Dave's place at Point Point Pass about 8:30AM

[​IMG]

Dave made sure he didnt leave anything behind.:wink:

[​IMG]

We travelled North from Point Pass to Robertstown, Emu Downs, some great dirt roads to Burra, Booborowie, Canowie and in to Jamestown. From Jamestown we decide to take a turn off to Tarcowie and follow the road along the Narien Range to Orroroo. By the way we road past the Highest Wheat crop in the Southern Hemisphere above Tarcowie :huh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of our Goals for this trip was to find the Belton Cemetary and see some of Pete's relatives final resting place.
    On a previous trip up hear last year we had no luck. This was to be our next stop.
    The road to Belton from Orroroo is fantastic, passing through Johnburgh and Bendleby.

The Belton Post Office
    [​IMG]

Taking any vantage point to find the Cemetary proved Successful.
    [​IMG]

No significant track leading to the Cemetary but quite a well kept area. No signs at all. But we found Pete's Rellies after about an 1 and 1/2 hours of looking. Well worth it.:clap

[​IMG]

Next we planned on taking a Detour to check out the old Prince Alfred Mine about 20 klm North of Belton.
    After about and hour of riding through some Gates we came to a sign saying no Entry we decided to turn around and head back on our original Route. This track was fantastic though. It was so good none of use got any pics but if you are passing this way take the Detour, its worth it!

We contiued down the Baratta Road and turned down a track that follows the Siccus River and crosses it near Matt Whim Bore.

[​IMG]

This was our first Challenge and where Dave's Bike J-Lo got her name!

I was the first to Tackle this dry creek crossing! I had no idea on how deep and Loose this Gravel creek bed was. After crossing the track left to right twice I finally and luckily made it across. If I didn't have my steering dampener I think I would have been laying in that creek bed still.:muutt You can see my tracks in the foreground if you look closely.

[​IMG]

After watching me cross Dave and Pete crossed it with great trepidation.
    The following happend:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took three of us to get J-Lo's Fat ass out of the creek but it all happend
    Pete's bike got bogged too but for some reason no picture was taken.

[​IMG]

After this excitement we decided it would be a great time to find a camp spot for the night.
    After a few more tense moments on a freshly graded track we found a great spot to camp for the night near Halowiliena Homestead.
    Dave started to think about how J-Lo could lose some weight at this point.

[​IMG]

All in all a fantastic first day.

Day 2

We woke to a fantastic sunrise.

[​IMG]

We packed up camp and headed around Black Hill east of Hawker and followed the track along the back of Black range in to Hawker for fuel.

After the previous day's dry creek crossing Dave wasn't gonna let it happen again. After all he was probably tipping the scales at near 500kg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wind picked up to Gale force winds by the time we reached Hawker.
    We refueled and headed out on the main drag up to Blinman.

[​IMG]

Just passed Wilpena we turned off the Black top and took the Dirt all the way up to Arkaroola.
    We struggled with the wind all the way up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete getting a little sideways action in one of the creek beds on the way up to the Ark. To make maters worse the Grader was sweeping a nice nice layer of gravel over the road, this mixed with 100kph wind was a real struggle.

[​IMG]

A water stop before the wind sent us totally mad:huh
    [​IMG]

Still some great lookouts on the way up there :clap

[​IMG]

Arrived at the Arkaroola Village about 2pm and decided we would go a find a good camp spot to rest our weary bodies!

[​IMG]

I was pleased that the Mice had moved on since I was last up hear with the family in June.

Day 3

Packed up camp again and headed back out to the Copley road to start our trip through the Nantawarrina Indigenous protected area. We had previously paid the fee to access the grounds and we were instantly impressed.
    Fantastic tracks through some of the most beautiful landscape around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made our way to through some pretty savage bull dust holes which nearly got all of us at one point or another to Moro Gorge for a breather and a cuppa.

This place was like an Oasis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost forgot but as i pulled up I managed to drop my bike while standing still... it was time for a rest anyway.

[​IMG]

From Moro Gorge we made our way back towards Irish Well along a fantastic track along the base of the Stirrup Iron Range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This track was a real challenge in places, lots of Bull dust holes and made me realise why the Peg packers are a bad idea offroad.
    My Leg got caught under the packer twice and hurt like a bitch.
    They have since been removed from the Bike.

Once we got to Irish well we had a brief look around, and proceeded on in search of a great camp site.

[​IMG]

The pose shot in front of the Natawarrina Tank

[​IMG]

This was a great camp spot near Pinda Springs and another great day in the bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Day 4

We left our camp at Pinda Springs on another fantastic morning and came across the old Pinda Springs Mine.
    Some interesting old bits of equipment out here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete having a look to see if this old Austin can get up and running to carry some of our shit.:rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made our way out of the Jubilee Range and to the main road back to Blinman. Couldn't get the smiles of our faces:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made our way to Blinman and went Via Glass Gorge to Parachilna Gorge and on to the Prairie Hotel for Lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a big feed we rode back up the Parachilna Gorge and to the Angorichina Village for Fuel, Booze and a chat with the owner.
    He informed us about the dramas that unfolded only a couple of days earlier with the GS Safari. Felt really bad for those guys but very happy we were doing our own thing.
    I filled up one pannier with beer and scotch and travelled about 5 klm down the gorge to find a great camp spot with some water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pics reminds me of one of those old fuzzy shots of Bigfoot walkng through the forrest...:wink:

[​IMG]

The Booze has started to work. Pete and Dave struggling to get across the water without falling in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was interesting at the time.:huh

[​IMG]

Another great day down.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Day 5

Packed out gear and headed out first thing.
    We rode out of Parachilna Gorge down the main drag and back in to Brachina Gorge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then went down Bunyeroo Gorge Scenic drive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to the main road to Hawker again rode down a little further and took the Moralana Scenic drive back through the ranges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We blasted down the blacktop for about 30 klm and turned off at Wonoka with a plan to take the road less travelled to Warren Gorge 20 klm out of Quorn.

Came to some interesting sites
    Wild Dog Glen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just past here Peter had a big off in a creek on Bobby Creek Road.

[​IMG]

We got there to help him and he was walking around in circles a little stunned. He had sprained his ankle.
    After a few minutes to gather his thoughts and rest we decided to make our way to Quorn to the Transcontinental Hotel for a drink and a feed before finding a camp spot. The Bike was fine.

After lunch we made our way to Warren Gorge and found a great camp spot and settled in for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Day 6

Today was the day we would be travelling home.
    Spent the morning looking at Petes fat ankle from the fall and packing our crap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode back to Quorn and took the Old Gunyah road to Wilmington. What a fantastic road. We had a blast but were soon craving a pie and a coffee.

[​IMG]

We ended up riding down the Main North road to Melrose in search of a bakery that was open.

It wasnt until Laura that we found somewhere that we could sit down and have a feed and a drink.

No more pics taken for the remainder of the ride as we were on the Blacktop all the way home.
    Dave turned off to home at Auburn and Pete and I continued until I got to Tarlee and Pete continued on to Adelaide.

Well I hope everybody reading this enjoyed the pics.
    Once again its my first ride report and it is harder than it looks thats for sure.

Hope to see you all on the road at some point.:clap
  5. Gateshutter

Gateshutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great photos

"Pete getting a little sideways action in one of the creek beds on the way up to the Ark. To make maters worse the Grader was sweeping a nice nice layer of gravel over the road, this mixed with 100kph wind was a real struggle."

the photo below this comment looks like the wash out that the Two lads on KLRs had a bit of a spill at on the way to Arkaroola
  6. FuTAnT

FuTAnT KTM 990ADV

Oddometer:
    Nice work. Yep, always takes more time and effort than you think to put up a ride report. Looks like you had fun. Stand up and give it a handful in the sand / loose, then you just float over it! :thumb
  7. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Great report, thanks for sharing. :clap

Not so sure I'd like to be riding the 'battleships' you guys had though.

Cheers
    :beer
  8. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top Ride report :clap:clap

Thank you for taking the time to post.Some nice photos there.

Cheers Ian.
  9. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Top ride report with good pics.
    Cheers.
  10. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.
    I was OK on the 800 but the 1200 will be going on a diet before it does it again that's for sure.
  11. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    I hope your future reports are as great as this one!
  12. koenig

koenig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You done good, and it was alot of fun. As an addendum (nice word). J Lo has undergone radical surgery and lost about 60 kilos. I don't know what I was thinking when I packed all that crap.:confused Peg Packers gone. Why would I need to carry extra fuel on a bike with 600km range anyway? I know you guys had to wait for me a lot, but I will still only travel within my comfort zone. J Lo became much more manageable on fairly flat tyres, (20psi F& 25psi R), but she is still a handfull in rough country. Tall first gear, 100hp and half a ton in weight makes for "entertaining" moments. Thanks guys I had a ball (and didn't fall over:clap)Where to next?:happay
  13. coosabarr

coosabarr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. The pictures are very goog.
  14. CDillard

CDillard Old Bass Player Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like an outstanding ride! :deal Great pics. What strikes me the most is the vasts amounts of open space :eek1 and the beauty!

Thanks for taking us along.
  15. rj72

rj72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good report. Fantastic pics.
  16. Arek Kontrol

Arek Kontrol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ex-pat Poles in Adelaide Hills, South Australia
    Epic.
  17. Darnum Dingo

Darnum Dingo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent Ride Report. Was there on the BMW Sfaari and Blinman, Parchina, Wilipenia Pound, Barachina Gorge were just amazing a great riding. Keel up the good work.

Cheers
    GS
  18. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Good ride report, well done & I love the photos from up there...My problem is I won't stop for photos, might slow down In my old age & take more.

Cheers Terry
  19. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    That's usually my problem, this time I made myself slow down and take some shots for a change. Glad you enjoyed them.
  20. TCAdventure

TCAdventure Been here forever ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report. Glad you took the time to take the pictures and share the story.