KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been utterly flawless, the best motorcycle I've ever owned.

[​IMG]
    Former National Enduro winner David Lykke on my bike, he loved it too!

When I bought it, I threw on the steering damper, tank, and Renazco seat I saved from my 08. Since then I've basically done nothing but ride it. I did rejet and change one intake shim a single size at 30ish hours... but overall I'm so happy with it I don't know what I'd do differently. I absolutely love the suspension, and I've done nothing at all to it.

Saturday, I rode 180 miles of singletrack in the high country. I thought about taking my 300, but the 530 is so comfortable and so easy to ride, I decided against it... and I didn't regret that decision once, not even on the loose and steep descent of Matchless Mountain or crossing the Taylor River wading with the bike, technical situations that you would think reward a lighter 2-stroke.

:ricky
  2. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi Ned,
    Any chance you've ridden a Husaberg 570 and could give us a comparison between it and your '09 530?

ktm950se
  3. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not, but David (Lykke, pictured above, 2nd in National Enduro 2004) did, and we chatted about it at length.

He said the Husaberg had a bit more power and handled a bit better, but that the 530 was a close 2nd in both areas... and that he'd be happy with either one.

To me, it comes down to street legality and price... and that 530's are available and well priced, and 570s are rare and cost a few thousand bucks more on the street.

BTW, my understanding is that KTM will be bringing in far fewer bikes next year, so if you're sitting on the fence, go get one of the good deals around now, rather than waiting for a 2010 bike (and paying a lot more).
  4. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have visited a few dealers looking at 450EXCs

Sun in Thorton = Willing to meet any price I found..
    Fay Meyers = "Willing to deal" on a 2009 or 2010
    KTM of Aspen.. $1000 off MSRP without haggling...
    Gunnison $700 off MSRP on 2009... Bike did not look that fresh, plastics were slightly scuffed from test rides...

Trying to buy a used bike though, Financing is tough to find, even with good credit.

I was looking for 450s till I read this thread...Maybe a 530 is what I need to be looking at...
  5. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks!

ktm950se
  6. Redline

Redline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ned, that's great to read. My 530 (still in transit from the east coast) will be replacing a 640A, which wasn't an easy decision to make. Two very different motorcycles, but I'm ready for something relatively light weight compared to the super tanker.

Thanks for documenting everything here. :thumb
  7. thanosktm620

thanosktm620 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any new update on the '09 neduro?
  8. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Not to take anything from this thread. The 09 570s are a bit over stocked right now. I think that Gunnison motorsports were kicking them out the door at $8900.00.

I think that by far the biggest issue witht these bike is fuel capacity and fuel range. Typically a 570 has a range of 70 to 80 miles. But I have heard many stories of range down as low as 50 miles. The aftermarket tanks are just now starting to showup. Most of them are designed for rally riding. Which is not my cup of tea. I'm hoping for a nice Clark tank that is well intergrated. That might not be in the cards. Something to do with having the FI pump in the tank.
  9. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a very informative thread and it is making me jealous! I have been looking at the pros and cons of an 08 or an 09. Now I found a local 2007 525 for a great price (with many farkles - 7000 km and 113 hours)... what to do? A new 09 (skidplate, barkbusters) will cost about $9400 all in (CDN) out the door. (I live in Canada where it seems our prices are inflated...)

I am going to use the EXC primarily for my "dirt bike" to do double track trail riding in the Rocky Mountains - the street legal part will keep the LEO's satisfied as I link trails together via some gravel / minimal pavement. Also, if I take it on holidays to Colorado and Utah, etc, I imagine the street legality will help me stay on the right side of the law.

I am 225 lbs, 6 feet tall, 36" inseam, been riding for 35+ years; prefer a more relaxed to medium pace (thank you Adam Sandler!) My racing days are behind me and I tend to be more cautious the older I get and the more kids I have!

Currently on an 07 640 Adventure (I plan on riding the 640 on the Continental Divide Route / TAT next year.) Once I get a 'new' EXC-R, I will put more street friendly tires on my 640 to use it for gravel / street.

Your suggestions? 07 / 08 / 09?

PS Couldn't find any threads on here that detailed the diffs between the 07 / 08 / 09's to any degree. Can anybody point some out for me (diffs or applicable threads?)

Many thanks!

Dean
  10. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    07 was the RFS motor in the old chassis. Great bike, but definitely a step back in both departments.

I've now owned an 08 530 EXCR, an 09, and currently have a 2010 (I sold my 09 to cvestal, my neighbor and friend, when a sweet deal on a new one came along).

The differences 08 to 09 are substantial- improved parts in the motor, and much improved suspension on the 09. I would spend whatever it cost to make that jump.

The difference 09 to 10 is not substantial. The EXCR does not get the new frame and 22mm clamps, but I've ridden an XCW that did back to back with my EXCR, and honestly, I could take it or leave it. In the conditions I rode it, I did not find it to be advantageous- a bit different, yes, but not really much if any better. I found my bike to be more predictable and stay on line better, and the XCW to turn a bit easier with the drawback of being a bit less stable.

Whichever version you get, they sure are fun to ride!

[​IMG]
  11. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    I got a screaming deal on an '09 530EXC. A guy spent $20k on that an a 450 for his girlfriend, and then decided they weren't dirt riders - traded them for street bikes.

The 530 had 250 miles on it, and I got it for $6k.

In the last two weeks, I've done the first service, removed the exhaust baffle, checked that the cannisterexctomy was done right, and added a JD Jetting kit. It really runs well now, and I'm thrilled with the bike.

I need a steering dampener, and heated grips, but no super rush on those.

Anyway, love the info on this thread, keep it coming!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Terlingua

Terlingua Terlingua

Oddometer:
    The billet top clamp on my 09 450 XC-W say 18-20. Now dose that mean that they are adjustable? I've look in the owner's manual and I now have them a part and I'm not seeing any thing that appear to be adjustable. So dose Any one know about this? Are they adjustable?

And what is the gas range on this bike stock tank. And the bigger ones I'm trying to see witch one to go with. I haven't got to do a long ride yet so any help would be good.

Thanks BCK
  13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    They could be adjustable but are not. There is an eccentric stem available that offsets the bearing centers by 1mm (thus, 18mm or 20mm offset), which you can order from an SX model a few years ago... but what is installed is a straight thru stem which is 19mm offset.

So, in fact I mispoke above, my bike has 19mm offset as well.
  15. Terlingua

Terlingua Terlingua

Oddometer:
    Neduro your right I had seen that they were set to 19 in the parts look up. If they are set at 19mm I thank it would be hard to see any real deference in 1mm.

I am still looking for gas range ya'll are getting out of the stock and bigger tanks?

BCK
  16. Redline

Redline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ned, couple of questions for you.
    1) With your '09 530, did you experience any of the oil usage issues some owners have? I got 600cc out of the engine side on my 09 the first oil change and I put 600cc back in. Next change I got 550cc out and put the same in. Next one was 450cc out. No smoking or problems with the bike, but I'm adding between 50 and 75cc of oil every couple hundred miles.
    2) The 2010 rings are updated and supercede the 09 rings, which makes me wonder if there's an issue with the 09s. Is your oil level stable and are you getting consistent amounts out when you drain the engine?

Thanks.
  17. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    on the adding of 50-100 cc of oil every couple hours... 2009 530EXC.
  18. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    I'm the same on my 08' 450EXC. I first noticed it while only a few hundred km on it, so took it in and had a Leakdown Test performed. They found it was in the top 3% (3% leak), or in other words perfect - so not to worry - so I just pay attention to it and add a bit here and there as needed.

I now have 11000km on mine and am thinking it might be time for a top end rebuild - so plan on another leakdown test to see if it is really necessary. The plan it to do this tomorrow (either make a Leakdown tester or take it in) so we'll see what comes of it.

D
  19. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just in case others from Aus read this thread occasionally, like I do, the '09 EXC's over here come with the adjustable triple clamps from the shop floor. Top clamp stamped 18-20 and the offset stem that you rotate in the bottom clamp to change between the two options by lining up, or not, a mark with a dot.
  20. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

Out of curiosity, does the bottom clamp have 2 bolts or 3?

In the US, the uppers are all the same as far as I can tell. The lower clamps on XC-W and EXC are 2 bolts, and have a 19mm stem installed. The lowers on XCs and SXs (everything with twin chamber suspension) are 3 bolts and have the 1mm offset stem.

When I was in Mexico this spring I offered to help someone with their 990... and it was completely different than an American one. Turns out Mexico gets AU bikes, it's interesting how they mix spec for different countries.