Long term bike trips... HOW do you do it? (time/work/career)

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by MaxF, Jan 24, 2011.

1. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lets try this after 24 + almost 25 yrs service to the Queen , 5 tours in 3 war zones / conflicted areas.I am being released from the Canadian forces for medical reasons . I am still under 50 , rebuilding my life since the Ex left me but I am feeling good about life . I am leaving on a trip somewhere when they finally say good by but these will be the words I will go by in the future.

f I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen
    would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved
    by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more
    reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this
    advice now.
    Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You
    will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until
    they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at
    photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much
    possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You
    are not as fat as you imagine.
    Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying
    is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
    bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things
    that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you
    at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.
    Do one thing every day that scares you.
    Sing.
    Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with
    people who are reckless with yours.
    Floss.
    Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead,
    sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's
    only with yourself.
    Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you
    succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank
    statements.
    Stretch.
    Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with
    your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22
    what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most
    interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.
    Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them
    when they're gone.
    Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children,
    maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the
    funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do,
    don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either.
    Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.
    Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it
    or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument
    you'll ever own.
    Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living
    room.
    Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
    Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel
    ugly.
    Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone
    for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your
    past and the people most likely to stick with you in the
    future.
    Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you
    should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and
    lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people
    who knew you when you were young.
    Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
    Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you
    soft. Travel.
    Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians
    will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll
    fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable,
    politicians were noble and children respected their elders.
    Respect your elders.
    Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust
    fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when
    either one might run out.
    Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it
    will look 85.
    Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who
    supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of
    fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over
    the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.
    But trust me on the sunscreen.
  2. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    If that isn't bragging, I don't know what is. All you had to do was say "look for/devolop an internet-based skillset and start businesses with it that you can manage from afar." Instead, you embellished us with your accomplishments and resulting time & money for the rides they afford in pretty finite detail...well, all except a few links and examples of, for example exactly WHERE to find leads that want a presentation that nets us $10-12k per successful presentation, or HOW to run a business from an iPad. THOSE are the things that the OP was asking for, and that you seem to be withholding even when asked directly for them.

I would think it would be obvious to you that I wouldn't be in this thread reading, posting and watching if I wasn't looking around for some sort of scenario that would work for me to tellecommute from afar or on the road. I'm not complaining, I'm ASKING for useful tools(links, contacts, suggestions, etc.) - not more stories about your ubiquitous successes.

By your own admission, "that was a few years back"...and you obviously already hit the motherload by being good at something that was in demand at the RIGHT TIME. So, give timing, which I highly doubt was fully intentional, at least 50% of the credit there. Times are different now - ironically for your previous profession, largely in part due to over-generousity of banks with money that didn't exist - and you would be hard pressed to do that over again in this lifetime:

I would gladly seek out a position working for comission as an IP sales rep, if I KNEW where to look and what skillsets it demanded. You don't tell us either...just that he is one and how well it treats him. Obviously that's a pretty sweet deal, that isn't very common, otherwise we'd all be applying for it. Do you see the pattern here? Many other posters in this thread have divulged interesting links to writing jobs, self publishing, contract sites,...etc...you just talk about yourself and your wealthy friends, so far.

We all have talents - some are given, some are earned, some are both given and earned. Some are a lot more valuable than others because so few of us have them, whether given, earned or both. I'm not a coder either, and I struggle with business concepts, deductions, taxation, and a lot of the concepts that seem to come easy to most self-employed entrepreneurs. That's not an excuse, it's a fact and I only mention this because it's a LOT harder when you are a kinesthetic, spacial, creative person to master internet business and marketing practices...much less business practices in general. And as as easy as you make it sound to be successful through those means, it's just as easy to get completely ripped off and not even realize it until it's too late - especially so online, or from afar.

Capitol like ~$20k is also not in everyone's pocket, and I would suspect, not in the experimental investment range of most of the posters here. Maybe I could get a loan online from you for that? If only you wold actually show me WHERE, and not just blabber about how "easy" it is. And didn't you say you ran that cloud comuting business from your iPad? Maybe you should have said you ran it from your iPad + $20k software + whatever else you had into it the first time around - that would have been much more truthful.

It really sounds as if you are arrogant because money and freedom to earn it have come so easily to you. Your condescendence only reinforces my skepticism of your "advice." If I were to be angry at anything - frustrated is more the word, here, I think - it's that you are so far all talk and no answers. Telling anyone that is clearly HERE looking for a way out of the corporate 9-5 and accompanying sedintary fatalism that you have all of these successes through vague means that were so "easy" - but not what made them easy - and then saying they "don't want it bad enough" is like a couple that is trying to have children consulting a fertility doctor and being told they're "not trying hard enough" without even so much as a few preliminary tests.

If you're ever in Arizona, PM me and we'll go riding. I'll loan you a spare bike. When you can't ride out of the canyon you rode down into, I'll stand at the top of the cliff and tell you that you don't want it bad enough, and that you sound angry because I was able to find the ability to get out of it and on my way to the rest of an awesome ride.
  3. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    this is not turning out so well...
  4. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
  5. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is gonna end badly with the thread locked or moved into "jo momma".
  6. Motomochila

Oddometer:
    To the OP. Please accept my apology for any detrimental actions taken by the moderator or others to you otherwise very good thread.

"The dream can become reality only if you work hard enough to make it come true. Your first step to turning your dream into reality was posting here and your affirmation of daily reading about those whom have gone before you on that very same quest. They will give you strength and vision to achieve what you desire."

Good luck with your dreams and in your travels. I am sure you will soon be posting pics and stories of your adventures.
  7. JGBrown

JGBrown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish somebody had told me that before I left.:deal

Will 10-15$ an hour put you on a new GS1200, with all the good bits added, cold beers and a nice hotel every day? Probably not. Defintely possible to travel for a year on it though. Check out Klous-1's trip report for how to do it on a real budget. I'd look at flying to SA if that's where you really want to be, buying a used bike off a leaving traveller, sell it when you leave.
  8. MarkGS

MarkGS No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer:
    Note my use of the word "probably" :D
  9. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    The text in blue above came through in the email I got from ADVrider.com and the subscription service...and now, I see your actual post has that edited out. To respond to that comment: I don't want a free paycheck at all. I've had my own income since I was 13 years old and know very well how to make my own money in the world as an employee. I'm very very willing to bust my ass to see projects through to completion and deadlines met and all the other things that go with it. Things I have started on the side have always been pretty successful, but just not scalable or long-term - this is what I've learned so far, from my mistakes. And they certainly have not been mobile just on account of my skillset then(and now, really). And, I'm in this thread and in many other places trying to learn how other people have managed to make a realistic income and still travel and perhaps simultaneously WITHOUT making as many mistakes as I would if I just cut loose and did it, because there's a good chance I would sink before I ever learned to swim.

Presently, I have a good job with good pay and great benefits but not nearly enough time off to enjoy any of them unless I quit entirely. Hence the desire to change that...even if I'm "not trying hard enough..."

So, let me get this straight....you "lost everything you owned" twice? If you lost it back to the bank, you didn't own it...you were operating on credit...it wasn't yours. This admission takes your credibility to an even lower level in my eyes...You've been "on top of the food chain, twice," and yet lost it all to simple economic shifts? Seems like if you had not lived beyond your means(even if they shrank to zero for a while) in the first place - as many of the previous posters have said was an important factor to traveling on a bike when you are young and haven't found their niche yet - you could have started this "lifestyle" much sooner. NOW you come out and say you have all of this experience and yet you can't relate to us WHERE you learned "cloud computing" in one simple link, sentence or succinct description? Did you read a book? - If so, WHAT book?

The Lost Dutchman mine doesn't exist...that's why no one has found it yet. And yes, on every occasion that I have discovered something that I see someone else can use - be it knowledge, tools, or wisdom - I pass it on in full and as best as I can. You seem to like to taunt us and covet your "easy income" streams...at least throw us a bone or a link or someplace to get STARTED finding our online-earning niche?

Since you seem to take free license to be arrogant, I'll ante up: you can't hang with me riding, period, any more than I can hang with you in somehow making money at "cloud computing" from a remote location. And since you won't share, I won't either.
  10. Motomochila

Oddometer:
  11. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    FINALLY, an answer and not another glory-story! And an impressive one to boot! And far, far better than Google gave me...the real nittygritty! Especially that first one...I have some reading to do...

Truely helpful, thankyou! - all but the condescendence.
  12. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    What exactly is your skillset? I have seen remote job listing for almost every skillset at sites like:
    http://www.guru.com
    http://www.elance.com

Ofcourse you are competing with people overseas who r willing to do a job for way less than what you would like - but then life is all about choice right...

I think Motomochilla was simply sharing that travel doesnt necessarily mean giving up on a nice lifestyle - both can be achieved. Some folks have better luck/skill at this than others. However, i am sure there is no "easy" way to make money and if Motmochilla has met with success, it must have been through hard work for which he is reaping the benefits now.

But you also said that thing you started on the side have been successful. If you feel that you struggle with business concepts, perhaps you should consider getting a partner or an employee who can help you with these things. in this day and age, you can get professionals to help you with specific tasks without putting them on permanent payrolls (for example an accountant to keep your books and do your taxes, a business consultant to help you with business development etc). Now before you say that you can't afford them, some of them will be willing to work with you as your business grows. You will have to show them your skillset and enthusiasm and make them believe in you.

You said its not an excuse and its a lot harder. Then don't use it as an excuse and do the hard work and learn the concepts and practices. I hate doing some of the grunt work for my business - but i have to - i whine and make a face but i still have to do it - because i value the results more than the hard work i put in right now.

True and not every business needs it anyway. Especially if you are saying you have a more creative skillset.
    Also take a look at publications like the ones below for idea. There are even many franchises that can be had for much less than that.
    Plus - perhaps your goal will not be to make a large sum of money but instead just enough to finance your travels and a moderate lifestyle

http://www.entrepreneur.com/
    http://www.inc.com/
    http://www.sbomag.com/

Take a look at Simon & Lisa:
    http://2ridetheworld.com/
    They travel on a shoe string budget and make ends meet by writing articles, selling shirts and some freelance assignments.

If you go and and actually do some serious tours -you will get some cred and companies may be even willing to sponsor bits and pieces of your trip (like provide some free gear).

To be honest Motomochilla's story is not uncommon. In our local riding club there are many folks in similar situations.

The links and resources pointed above are just starting points. There are probably also several books on similar topics - like how to start a business - how to get a job of your choice - how to understand business concepts - blah blah. But they also will just contain basic pointers and few ideas. No book can provide you with the exact instructions on guaranteed ways to make money - all the pointers and hints you are looking for are actually already mentioned in the 13 pages of this thread for example:

• Work hard and save - then quit and travel - then come back and work again when money is finished
    • Try to get a job that you can do remotely
    • Start a business
    • Work hard and retire early
    • Change your skill set to something more suitable for remote work (like computer programming).

These are the type of things a book/magazine/link/article can tell you. It is up to you how you pursue some of these ideas. Make a list of priorities and see what you come up with.

This message is not meant to be harsh one. you said that no links/pointers were provided so i have given you some links to get u started and explore possibilities. But no link/person/book will give you the exact answer you seem to be looking for.

-----

as an answer to the OP - i am also in my late 20s.
    As a flip side to some of the opinions expressed on this thread - i am happily married and my wife is usually even more excited about our motorcycle trips than i am.
  13. City Man

City Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have read most of this thread, some good advice, some not so good, some earnest people telling what they know and what might help others, some not so. Still enjoy the thoughts given.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    In a couple of months I am about to retire, will I be able to take off on a long tour riding into the sunset each day, no, do I want to and have I planned on doing so, of course I do and have.
    I am not bitter about it all, after all I can afford to do so, in that way I am truly lucky. I know that in order to succeed a person needs to apply themselves and work hard at it, I have done that. In order to succeed there is also an element of luck, right timing, right place, knowing the right people, etc&#8230;&#8230;. All of that has magically fallen into place for me.
    The reason I will not embark on a major trip, I am married to my soul mate, so I am truly lucky there. My soul mate of course would kiss me goodbye with her blessing and wishing me a safe voyage. Unfortunately my soul mates health is not nearly as good as my health. I take care of her, would be wrong not to. I conceder this to be my honor and privilege to do so. We never truly know what the cards that are dealt to us are until we play the game, then we must make the best out of the cards dealt each one of us. What works for me may not work for you and visa-a-versa. I mention this not to make a big deal of this but to say that throughout each of our lives the quest for adventure is always with us, be that a huge adventure or a small adventure, the thirst is a never ending thirst no matter if our glass is half full or half empty, the quest and thirst is just part of our inner souls. I tell all of you just play along with the cards that you have, improve your hand whenever you can. Enjoy each and every adventure that crosses your path, drink from the glass and enjoy others adventures but never, never waddle, sputter, and feel bitter because someone has a better hand then what you think is the hand of cards that you have. <o:p></o:p>
    Do what you can, when you can, enjoy what you have, life is short and yet long. For all of you that can not do a huge adventure, enjoy all of the mini adventures that you can, if you do this you will find that all of those little adventures add up to one heck of a huge adventure, the experience will help shape you throughout your life.
    I have no true words of wisdom to give, who amongst us truly does? We all find our own wisdom, some we can share, some is just what we are and have become. Though I do know that there are going to be a heck of a lot of mini adventure in the future for me and I am sure for all of you, live in the moment, live for today, plan for tomorrow and weave the dreams done yesterday with the dream unfolding in front of you today. Life is a never ending adventure in itself, enjoy the moment.
    As the old song goes, Dream on, Dream on, Dream on until your dreams come true. :nod<o:p></o:p>
  14. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat as you OP. I look at it this way, plan some short trips per year and see the world bit by bit and do well at your job, build yourself up in your company so you start making more cash (pay your dues), dont stay in the same spot hoping for the best, that's the old mentality, jump ship when more money, opportunity and better overall environment is offered, DONT SHORTSELF YOURSELF, learn and work harder, keep doing that until you finally make enough cash a year to sack enough away to not have to worry about bike payments, parts, etc... I look at it from the long term perspective, right now im content doing trackdays and renting bikes when I travel abroad, while I build my base, then afterwards I can hit 45 and kiss this corporate world goodbye.

The best part is, when you jump ship you can tell them you want to start a few weeks later (process takes a few weeks anyway) and you would be surprised how easy it goes with the new HR department during the onboarding process. During your late twenties you have gained enough experience (hopefully) to push back a bit with certain things compared to when you first graduate you are a nobody and have not proven or learned anything.

Will I follow my own advice? I have already, but I have a feeling ill definitely own my own business WAAYYYY before retirement and make a work day harder and more satisfying than anything else by working for myself.
  15. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does this help?

If you aren't capable of teaching yourself then this is not the industry for you. All I was sharing was a particular area of self employment that is quite an effective way for making an income on the road. The complexity of web marketing could not be explained in a 500 page book, let alone one forum post. Also if I did have some sort of 'magic' strategy to success then I would never share it because then everyone would start doing it and there's only so much money in the market to go around.

I think there is an important lesson for you in all of these replies and that's that you need to be inventive and creative of your own accord, not reliant on others - this is the nature of capitalising with success. If you have to rely on others to make your money for you then you will always be the employee and never the employer.
  16. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    weird....I can't get to the next page of this thread....kind of like ground hog day. :huh
  17. Lee C

Lee C Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are on the next page :wink: I also had the same problem:1drink
  18. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    I suspect someone posted, which added a page, then they deleted the post and the BBS didn't know what to do so it waited. Makes sense to me but it is 5AM...
  19. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe how mush s*it attitude wondered into this thread.

Instead of flaming this thread with your great idea that people should "become .01% of web marketers who actually make money", maybe you can spend some time reading excerpts below and hopefully fall back into reality from your high horse, instead of belittling everyone in the pretense of giving advice.

You and the other guy are just trolling the same old catch phases everyone has heard a million times and they are as useless as you can get in terms of meaningful and actionable advice. Two of them are described below:

The rest of this article is a funny read as well.
  20. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that post - you've resumed the stream of good places to start that this thread has kept me coming back to for reference and for new content...already logged on to one of those sites now, and there is indeed a major variety of people on there. That's a great set of links and advice, THANKYOU! Your reply hit the nail on the head without apparently trying to make me(us?) feel like we're either never going to be able to get where we want to be or that it's too late and we've missed all the opportunities, OR, implying that if we had to ask we're obviously too stupid to teach ourselves:

...and weren't worth bothering to help with so much as a general proverbial compass heading.

When I said my small things were successful, I knew going into them that they had a minimum of possible expansion and scalability, but they were valuable lessons. I personally haven't found the right circumstance for others that are scalable and also low-maintenance, but I'm looking in places I never thought I would, on account of the generosity of you & many people like yourself.

There is no element of harshness at all there - at least, not that I detect. I didn't think I was ever asking for anything more than the type of replies already on the previous pages to the OP...just a guideline, a place to start, from Motomochila. Only in the end did he stop hiding behind epic tales of the independently wealthy and trendy buzzwords and actually deliver a little bit of insight. That was after he called his experience of making it that far "easy," and then when questioned, expected us to respect the truth that it took him two major personal financial/credit disasters in addition to years of low-yield study and 15-hour days to get to "easy."

THAT is an awesome serving of humble pie for these pious snoots - both your words and the article! I can identify with a lot of the points in there, and it's a delightfully multifaceted and articulate way of relating what I was trying to say before about how skills in high demand at the right time that come easy to some of us and not to others, or not quickly enough. Among a ton of other awesome points...