What makes the R1200R such a poor seller?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Snapping Twig, May 9, 2012.

1. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most "R" buyers are going to put on a windscreen and bags, plus a bunch of other farkles (gps, etc) and at that point the GS makes for a much better touring platform, is more comfortable, and has some real all-road capability. Resale on the GS is also very good, and it sucks on the R. The R does everything pretty well, but doesn't really stand out in any way. The GS has evolved into practically it's own brand, and BMW has done a brilliant job of marketing the adventure-rider lifestyle of the GS. The R just falls between the cracks in the BMW lineup, and definitely doesn't have the drama of a Speed Triple or a Monster. This isn't a knock on R buyers, but it just seems to me that many of them are guys who are simply too short or small to feel comfortable on a GS, or it's the "wife bike." In fairness, other than the other two bikes I mentioned, naked bikes are not big seller here in the U.S., and I saw quite a few R's in Europe.
  2. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    If I had another $4-5K or so I would have bought one instead of the 800R.
  3. Thnks4alltheFsh

Thnks4alltheFsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here, except I bought a used R1100s instead. If there were a decent R around when I bought the S, I would have seriously considered it (though I do love my S). I really like the looks. In fact, many non-riders think it is one of the better looking bikes (at least the people I asked when I was in the market). I don't mean to offend anyone who owns one, but to me the RT is the funny looker of the bunch. The fairing just makes the bike look too big for its wheels, almost like a giant scooter in proportions.
    I think part of it is a lack of promotion of the bike on BMW's part, which is sad because the R is the closest to classic BMWs in my opinion.
    Most buyers of this category tend to be younger, and are less concerned with the overall ride and more easily distracted by other factors, price being one of them.
  4. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love mine... but then most everyone here loves their bike of choice. Snapping Twig - if you haven't checked out www.r1150.net you should. Good group with some good info on the R

What sold me on the R was the comfort, looks, and ability to do what I wanted it to do well. Lot's of folks tried to get me into the GS - but I simply don't like the way they look and I didn't find it as comfortable. I don't ride trails or off-road. Dirt and gravel is no problem ... check out threads by LostRider and see what he's put his R through :lol3

Face it - lots of people buy whats "cool" and the GS is cool. Why are there so many Wranglers on the "road" and in city/urban areas ... it sure ain't the gas mileage! Once you add in a screen, luggage, lights, handguards, crashbars, etc... you're likely better off going with a GS (or RT if you prefer tarmac) but that doesn't diminish the capability of the R.

So why don't they sell? People buy what people see. Plus they are a lot more $ for what you (can) get compared to other nakeds.

I really like my bike - 10k miles so far and still am impressed. Bone stock, just the flyscreen and no intentions of changing anything yet. If you like the R, then it is a great choice. Ride on
  5. smashomatic

smashomatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I can get financing I'll walk into the dealer and buy the R1200R Classic, until then I'll keep hoping for a used one at a good price.

I rode an R1150R and an R1100RT years ago. The RT was a good ride but seemed boring to me. My father put around 30,000 miles on it. The R model I rode had a fly screen and hard bags. I was impressed and have wanted one since.
  6. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    I had that R1150R, never should have got rid of it.
  7. RottVet

RottVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm alot of the blather on this site, I owned one. Great bike, fast, excellent slab runner, but not as good in the twisties as I felt it should be. Too cramped for me, my knees and the down/forward pushing seating position made me trade it for a GS. MUCH more comfortable for me and superior handling to boot, at least in my hands! I still think the R is the best looking boxer made! YMMV!
  8. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I sat on one once. Way too short. I'm 6'4".
  9. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the price point camp...expensive for what you get.

(I've owned the R, GS, and RT)
  10. Oldbutslow

Oldbutslow Log Cabin Poet

Oddometer:
    It strikes me as an imitation UJM at premium price. ,BK
  11. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    This thread is hilarious! :lol3

So many expert opinions on a bike they never owned.

Personally I very much like the fact the BMW doesn't sell too many R1200R's in the US, in general most American riders have real bad taste in bikes anyways IMO, and there's already good insights here as to why this bike doesn't fit the fantasy role as well as others.

My 07' R1200R has 75,000 miles on it, never done a thing to it besides normal service, never been in a shop.
    Not even once for repairs. Only been out of service for rebuilding the Ohlins'. That fact alone gives this bike tremendous value both in convenience, trust and no cash out of pocket for me in 5 years.
    Maybe people don't see the value in it due to other BMW bike's mechanical problems and assume it will be the same for an 12R and that contributes to low sales....

As for comparing the R to other BMW's.... I've been places where very few 1200GS riders with their much heavier bike probably wouldn't go, and still can give most brand/type bikes a good run for their money in the SoCal canyons on my R1200R.
    In between that I can pop on the panniers in 10 seconds and travel/camp two up in total comfort for both of us, with up to a 230 mile range with the OEM 5.5 gallon fuel tank.

I love this bike.
    Everyone should buy a bike that really does it for THEM, a bike that fits them physically and emotionally.... we should all be passionate about the bike we own or what's the point?
    For me, the R1200R is the perfect motorcycle capable of anything I ask of it, and so much more.

Poor seller? Good.
    I hope it stays that way, let the masses move on to other bikes that are better marketed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Thnks4alltheFsh

Thnks4alltheFsh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lostrider, Can I just say, Holy Sh*t! Your post should be a BMW add for the R1200R. If I had seen this before I bought my current bike, I might have shelled out the extra.
  13. Snapping Twig

Snapping Twig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The more I read, the more I ride it, I understand how right this bike is for me.

I added the Wonderlich mirror extenders and got to try them out. If your mirrors vibrate, this stops that completely. I bought them to see behind better by moving the mirrors out, but the buzz stopped too, what an excellent and unexpected by-product!

Ordered 'the plug' too, so that should smooth out the surging at low speed in first and second gears.

[​IMG]

Gonna ride this bike for a looong time.
  14. dmcd

dmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to the dealer to buy a GS but I simply preferred the Rr. I do however think that part of my motivation was that GS's are too common, and where I live, a single tank of fuel and a ferry journey can take me to four different countries so I don't need 400 miles at a time ability.

[​IMG]

I copied this from a Google search, I'm sure most of you will have seen it before.

"As far as model go, the BMW R1200GS series still reigns supreme, accounting for 28,866 units in total worldwide (18,413 units for the R1200GS, 10,453 for the R1200GS Adventure). The GS dominance continues with the F800GS selling 9,829 units worldwide, and was followed closely by the BMW R1200RT (9,540 units) & BMW S1000RR (9,044 units). Meanwhile, the recently launched K1600GT/GTL accounted for 8,019 units, while the rest of the line-up broke down as follows; F800R (7,986 units), R1200R (7,310 units), and the F650GS (6,145 units). "
  15. matapo

matapo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R1200R is in my opinion the best looking boxer.
    I really wanted one but couldnt afford one at a time.

No regrets though. I love my GS.

If I could turn back time I would have waited to find an R on my budget.
  16. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's it. You're snotty omniscience is the only market BMW has for the bike. The rest of we unwashed masses are not only not smart enough to buy a bike like this but also unworthy of it even if we could muster the frontal lobes to make a good decision.
    The Proletariat shouldn't be on a bike this good. :freaky

I hate this bike every time I ride it. It does not give me wood. I do not fall in love with it ever.
    Alas that I had your class and weren't a rotten American with bad taste, unable to make my own decisions. :lol3

FYYFF:deal

Why is it that you finding a bike you love that doesn't sell in big numbers means that I'm a dumb American for not buying, but I should "buy the machine I love"?
    Just like your bike and be happy, dude.
  17. Woland

Woland Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a well known fact in the R1200R community that we are better than you ;)

BTW, what does float your boat?
  18. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl At least you're an honest bunch. :deal

When it comes to BMW, I'm all about the turbine-like power of the K Bike line and the S1k.
    I never was able to like the boxers, and I've wrenched on and ridden a lot of them.
    But, I respect that a lot of people love them like peppered bacon.
  19. CvFactor

CvFactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The maintenance is too expensive. Eventually you'll have to replace the cylinder heads when they become ground down to nubs.
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't have an R1200R, but I've put a lot of miles on a R1150R. I like the bike a lot. I wouldn't buy a 1200 unless something happened to the 1150.