Making of the "Oklahoma Adventure Trail"

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by OKlr, Oct 25, 2012.

1. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    i apologize for my lack of involvement in the tread lately. been trying to get my new house in order. See you guys soon.
  2. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    I rode the Perry to Salt Fork area portion Sunday. Came upon a couple of road closed and dead end signs.
    Of the three,only one required a reroute. On Eo340 heading west toi turn 156,right beforeN3020.
    Cool road though...A person with a smaller bike or bigger nads might be able to make it!!:eek1
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Looks like it's going around a creek about there? Were you on the Connie?

5. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    On the Versys,alone and there was a troll guarding the bridge.
    [​IMG]

Working on a ride report,not sure where to post it though?
  6. airdale7

Oddometer:
    I think you can post it on ADV in the day trips section. Then copy and paste the link address to your signature or just paste it in a reply in this thread.
  7. airdale7

Oddometer:
    What are the roads like in western OK now? snow?
  8. kiltedcrawford

kiltedcrawford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been in Colorado and am catching up. There's snow there.:clap

At the moment, I believe I-40 and north may have gotten some snow/ice.
    South of 40 we just got rain, so it's a little wet.

No new OAT reports, I see. I've got to find the time to go back and cross the North Fork of the Red properly, instead of on the highway.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Soon I hope to out riding some more of the OAT. Just day rides for the most part, I am going to wait for the snow to melt and dry up a little first though. :D

10. airdale7

Oddometer:

Did you post the RR ? Where?
  11. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
  12. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    Heading south on 81 from Eischens in Kingfisher I was finally on my way to the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. With a belly full of great fried okra and chicken thanks to Fixator I began to ask myself why camp out at all.
    Great question but I had a hefty head wind to deal with and the first real ride with the new DRZ 400. I had just spent the last month going from the front to rear wheel checking everything and finding that yes, they really scrimp on grease at Suzuki. Otherwise a better bike than my last ride.
    The carb re jetting seemed to be spot on, much better than stock. With my luggage full of camping gear, I see that the rear spring is going to be the next of just a few fixes needed to get the bike right.
    With my new 3.8 gallon gas tank I went onto reserve at 135 miles in Medicine park Oklahoma. After a tour thru town I headed off to the Doris campground in the wildlife refuge. They were full except for one spot in the primitive campground area. Spot number 20 the last one and supposedly a quarter mile from parking. I was going to get my exercise this afternoon. It turns out the area loops back around and my camping area was right next to the road, this is looking up.
    [​IMG]
    I was still wondering why I was camping? I set up my area and the weather was perfect.
    Across from me camped a couple in there 30’s. I dropped into my normal set of preconceptions about people. To be honest I was feeling a little better than they were as they bickered and seemed a little on edge. He had that look like some one who had done a few too many drugs and his body language was a little abrupt. I thought about one of my sons and then felt sad about my attitude.
    Another lady came by and I found myself being critical of her demeanor even though she was friendly.
    I continued my snooty attitude for a while and then wondered why I was thinking that way. Combination of stress and shittly thinking must be the cause.
    Ok I said to myself it is time for some attitude re adjustment.
    I finished some dinner comprised of a cup of soup. I was still reeling from all that chicken earlier and then took a quick spritz from my handy shower in a bag full of lake water. Invigorating to say the least.
    [​IMG]
    Feeling cleaned up I took an early retirement for the evening. The weather was just perfect and as I lay on a very comfortable air mattress listening to Lucinda Williams on my IPOD.
    [​IMG]
    All of the sudden I realized why I go camping. Getting away from work and life in general. I started to think about the couple across from me and I felt much more comfortable with them and about everything. I don’t know why, but getting into a grove on a basic level is just therapy for me. Good riddance shitty thinking! Things were looking up already.
    As the night slid by I made my way thru a number of great albums then ended up with some classical and off I went to sleep about 1:00 a.m. Hours had passed as I set there staring at the big dipper. Wow, I am easily amused.
    [​IMG]
    The next morning I slept in and after some great French press coffee got the DRZ packed and headed off to the start of the OAT Mount Scott loop.
    [​IMG]
    As I pulled up to the great mountain I said mumbled to myself that this isn’t a mountain it’s barely a hill.
    A few miles away from the great mount Scott I entered Meers. Interesting looking restaurant with a crowd of people going in. Signs ahead said road closed so I decided to have some breakfast and finish the morning time. It was already 11:00 a.m.
    [​IMG]
    The line inside wasn’t too bad but the wait seemed forever. Once I was seated I realized they served one thing only and that was a hamburger. It was nearly lunch so I ordered after a long wait. I started to read the menu and they boasted that they had the best burger in the country. Pretty strong statement for any dive in America. They even quoted the food network as the only burger place in the US that raises its own Angus beef. I thought I might be in for a treat since I ordered a burger and onion rings. The place was dimly lit and looked like some old mining joint you might visit in Colorado or even Idaho.
    [​IMG]
    After what seemed to be an eternity I finally got my meal. To be honest, I do think that was the best burger I have ever eaten. The bread seemed to be fresh and maybe home made. The bun wasn’t too thick and the fixings were perfect. Just the right amount of mustard, lettuce, tomato and pickle made this one fine meal.
    [​IMG]
    The side order was another story. Frozen onion rings fried in, what tasted like, rancid grease. The strong advice from me is to order two burgers, you wont be disappointed. Finally I made my way thru the crowd and outside, geeze it was 1:30. The line was crazy outside; it must have taken these folks the remainder of the day to get fed.
    [​IMG]
    Finally ready to tackle the OAT after a detour for about 6 miles around some construction.
    Nice curvy asphalt that quickly turned into a very premium dirt road. I think my average speed increased when I left the pavement.
    [​IMG]
    The gps info was spot on as I wound my way over to Quartz Mountain. I found one hiccup with the gps that was quickly figured out. In about two miles I came to a turn onto a section of grass that paralleled a waterway, this was a very neat detour for a few miles.
    [​IMG]
    Then I was off to Quartz Mountain and another small snafu with the gps that was quickly figured out. A turn down this gps routed road
    [​IMG]
    ended up here
    [​IMG]
    not a big problem and routed myself around the gate.
    Riding by lake Altus I noticed a number of nice camping areas. This looked like a great area to camp the next time I ride the southwestern OAT. North of the lake the route ended at a wooded area that was blocked by some construction equipment. I decided to attack this part of the route from the other side and made my way to this road that headed back east and south.
    [​IMG]
    Eventually I bumped into what I think was the North Fork of the Red River. I started to cross and was feeling the weather starting to change, I was alone and the river seemed to be flowing. Realizing this could end a badly I decided, while perched on the bank, to forgo this area. To end badly for me is to have boots full of water. I hate that.
    [​IMG]
    It was very soft sand so I got a 10-minute exercise routine horsing a fully loaded bike back up an embankment in soft sand. Wheels were axle deep for a few minutes.
    I remembered what we did in Idaho in deep snow. Oscilate the throttle and sure enough there was a sweet spot where the tire cleaned itself and pulled at the same time. I was out of the sand in no time.
    It was around 5:00 p.m. and I had been on the trail for about 3.5 hours. I could see that it was a pretty straight shot to Elk City so off I went. A quick hop on a four lane divided highway then back onto some great dirt roads that led me back into the south east side of Elk City about 5:30.
    [​IMG]
    Over all I like the OAT a lot.
    Great job is laying this out.
    [​IMG]
    It is a great way to spend an afternoon. I am not looking for super knurly terrain, just a great time. The dirt roads were partially covered in gravel but anything over 40 mph was very comfortable. 50 to 60 completely eliminated the baby ruts left from the last rain. I love to click off miles in the country like this and can’t wait for the next section.
  13. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
    Excellent!:clap

That North Fork crossing was bone dry in early December; I'd wondered what it looks like now. I didn't have the experience/confidence/desire to do it then, but I'm guessing you'd have had no trouble.

I'm glad you enjoyed SW OK. Nice report.
  14. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good ride. Thanks for the RR and pics.
    I hope to get out and ride more of the OAT soon, looks like a two day ride is a good length and fun.

15. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    I just got word that the "Oklahoma Adventure Trail" is going have an article wrote about it over on www.rideok.com I'm really looking forward to seing it over on that website. If you have not been on rideok, i sugest you go there and check out the news and upcoming events sections. I will post up a link to the article once its finished..... :clap
  16. airdale7

Oddometer:
    thats great! Now if we could get some decent weather :wink:
  17. zekester63

zekester63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just posted a few pics from a recent ride where I caught about 11 miles of the OAT, east of Keystone Lake. Thanks for your work on the tracks!

[thread=881009]Frog Rock Ride[/thread]

Happy Riding!
  18. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple of inmates and I are going to ride the Oklahoma Adventure Trail on June 14th, 15th and 16th (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

The goal is to try and ride the eastern half of the trail, until we have to head home to go to work on Monday.

Will be camping along the way, but because i don't know where we will be at the end of the day, I can't say where… but Oklahoma has no shortage of state parks.
    We will ride at a steady pace not racing, i don't think the roads will be challenging except maybe in the far eastern section…
    Will probably just eat out of stores or restaurants, but you are welcome to do what ever… a person could probably even stay in a hotel and meet up in the morning…

The plan is to meet at Lake McMurtry at the campgrounds on the west side of the lake Thursday evening after work or Friday morning if you live near by. Then we will hit the section starting at Perry and work our way east.

EVERY ONE is welcome to come along…

We will ride at a steady pace not racing, i don't think the roads will be challenging except maybe in the far eastern section…

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Link

Who all is coming?

Originally posted this in the OKC Metro Thread, might want to reply there. (Post 908)

If you have any questions PM me…

Also, if you can't start on Friday, you can always meet up with us on which ever day you can.
  19. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    Great to see a group heading out. Good luck. I know you will be in a hurry, but stop and take pictures whenever you can.
  20. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to a party out in the country this weekend... out east of Stillwater by Glenco...

anyway... on the way there i crossed over the OAT and drove the river road down by the Graffiti Wall.... looked like a fun road, people camping and fishing. Can't wait until June...