Yet another KLRE650...

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Krasniewski, Jul 27, 2011.

1. BRE

BRE Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No decompression device shown in the parts catalog. I have not checked valve clearance on mine yet, so can't speak from experience.
  2. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    No
  3. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    Alrighty - sorry for the delay - Went out and did over 3k on the other bike last week up through CA, OR, and WA. :D

I couldn't check the spark timing earlier b/c the timing gun I have (borrowed) needs a spark plug wire. It doesn't work on my bike b/c there really isn't one, as the coil is a stick type to which the plug is directly connected. The wires are numbered, as are the plug holes, so no way to fuck that up, though I did switch them out just for kicks once (w/o success).

sanjoh is right - no auto decomp's.

Anyway, like I said, just came home - garage is a mess - I deploy soon and spent a lot on vacations these last 2 weeks, especially since the BMW broke down on the road and needed a fuel pump, so financially, this project won't be getting much else anytime soon. I'll mess with it later on, perhaps.
  4. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Id say trust it. I know its no fun to hear. but hey this was a few months ago anything new?
  5. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    The only thing I've done lately is checked the computer for codes - but no help there.

I've been super swamped with work, and I'm deploying in less than a month, so this will probably sit for a long time unless someone wants to take the reigns.

Thinking about it recently though, I think the rings are the culprit. I put it all back together already, but I think I need to pull it all back apart. The rings are basically fused in place - not loose as they should be. I was going to pull them off, but I couldn't even do that. They slid back into the cylinder with no compression at all. I don't know what I was thinking earlier - I should have looked into that more, but I guess I'm a moron, so I'll deal with it later.

New rings, and gaskets, and I think that'll do the trick.
  6. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    That'll do it

You'll be back on the road in no time now you've found the problem
  7. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Well, I got her to start today after new pistons/rings...

More to come.
  8. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Well - we're back in business! Looks like the piston rings seized into place and the lack of suction wasn't getting the air/fuel mixture into the cylinder, then not compressing. She's running well now... finally. :D

Thanks to all for the input and help over the last months.

The new intake makes her run better than before, though the fueling above 8k rpm still isn't perfect. A Dyno would fix that, but she honestly doesn't need it and I'm pretty much done with her now as I'm outta time!
  9. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Krasniewski

Oddometer:

Well, I'll show you what I have...

Taken from page 2, you have a pic of the spine and throttle bodies - one has a JB Weld stick putty to close the gap, (which is far from optimal as it doesn't allow for flex and vibration absorbtion)...

[​IMG]

...and the other has a 90 degree PVC bend wrapped in a long strip of rubber, so keep it air/water tight.

[​IMG]

Sorry - didn't take pics of the finished product.

Off the back I welded on a tube, and put a foam filter on the end. Ideally, it would be enclosed in an airbox so the back wheel wouldn't cover it in dirt.

[​IMG]
  11. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, we kinda let you down bud, sorry.

Looking back in hindsight, its obvious that the rings are stuck in the picture you posted. We should have caught that.

Glad its sorted now, be safe overseas and thanks!

12. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Not at all, man. It's so hard to diagnose something from a picture - hard to have any expectations really. The rings didn't look right to me at all - I should have pointed it out.

On the contrary - the only reason this actually got started, let alone finished, is thanks to the interest online.

Good times.

:freaky
  13. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    glad you got it.

and the pics are a dead give away. opps.
    :eek1
  14. JAFO

JAFO displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer:
    Any news on this? How's she doin?
  15. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Funny you should ask - just flew off the USS Abe Lincoln today - holed up in NM for the night - should get home tomorrow! So long as she fires up again, I'll keep working on her - I'll post updates as they come.

:D

I haven't been home since December, so I've got lots to catch up on!
  16. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    great news, glad you are back home!
  17. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Made it home yesterday safe and sound - it's nice to be back. :norton

Hit the starter today just for kicks and she fired right up! What a relief... :D

The first thing I want to do is replace the nipples on the small fuel pump tank. The ones I put on initially are brass; I used these b/c you can braze them on to steel easily with a very small torch (which is all I have) and they're available at the Home Despot (which is close). Anyway - the fuel leaks a little bit at the inlet for one or both of two reasons: (1) The fuel line is just a little too big, too old, might not even be designed for fuel, or something to that effect and (2) the fuel gets passed the barbs b/c they're not in so great 'a shape anymore. After being heated up a few times, the surface is a little potholed, and not quite smooth, like a quiet country road.

Solutions: New fuel line, BMW adjustable fuel line clamps perhaps (only ones I know of from past experience), and possibly reinstall new barbed nipples - stainless steel. While I was away a co-worker mentioned a sale on an Eastwood Tig welder, plasma cutter, and cart. He had good luck with Eastwood Mig that I got to try out briefly, so I couldn't say no... I've always wanted a Tig, so I figured this was 'a good 'a time as any. Anyway - rambling aside, SS nipples are now a possibility for me - though I'm not sure they're necessary yet.

Down the road - I want - but probably don't really need - to address is the fueling. It's not bad, but it backfires with a closed throttle in deccel sometimes - and the top end is choked out. I'd like to get a power commander in, more air filter (a bigger one or another one...), and a dyno run to customize the map.

:D

Way later, perhaps a big plastic desert tank, a better seat... moab shock couldn't hurt either, right? :evil I figure with the PC, shock, and seat at least there's a little resale there in case the bike explodes (or implodes).

EDIT: Looks like I may have a Sargent and a PC on the way... Last things first.
  18. JAFO

JAFO displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer:
    Sounds great...

I am in need of some brazing for a project I am working on as well- what kind of torch did you use? I tried a MAPP gas torch and it just wasn't happening.. I am looking at possibly going with oxy-propane...
  19. Krasniewski

Oddometer:

I have a little two-bottle setup from Lowe's or Home Depot and a Oxy-Mapp pairing works out well for thin steel - plenty hot. The only problem is that the oxygen bottles don't last for shit and the "regulator" isn't great, but it serves its purpose on small jobs and the price is right, so I don't regret it. It's been in use for a decade. :huh

Torch welding and brazing is by far my favorite, and I would love a nice oxy-acetylene setup... maybe one day. :norton
  20. Krasniewski

Oddometer:
    Didn't replace the nipples, and the BMW clamps were too big, but new fuel line and it looks ok for now. The bad news is that leak was actually from the tank. Speaking of brazing, I brazed up the right side of the tank after cutting off a little bit of the tank for clearance (long ago), and there's a pinhole I need to fix. The hole must have filled up with flux, b/c I didn't notice the leak when I left... I'm guessing the flux got eaten away by the gas over time and now leaks quite a bit. A nice, new, big plastic tank sounds nice right about now, but I'm worried about clearance again... I spent a bit of time beating in the stock metal tank to make her work.

The only thing that sucks is having to flush the tank, then either let it dry or keep draining out water.

On the plus side, I tried out the Tig today for a quick minute - so fun! :freaky Nice to have new toys. :1drink

I have a Power Commander ready for install, but I need to find someone who can put this beast on a Dyno and set her up for me (after I sort the whole fuel leak thing).