how is the f700 gs on dirt

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by rockycraig, Feb 1, 2013.

1. rockycraig

rockycraig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just curious how the f700 gs is on dirt trails. any info would help, thinking about getting one but not sure how the cast rims on the f700gs will work on tough trails also the suspension.
  2. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    2 of the reasons I bought a lowered GS800.......
  3. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    I am a complete rookie and still have much to learn, but so far it has served me well and has been fun as hell! Taking it to Quartzsite AZ in a few weeks, then Death Valley at the end of March. I need some real tires though, the stock BattleWings gotta go.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853509
  4. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    How it is on dirt depends on what you mean by dirt.

I have a 2010 F650GS which almost identical. It is very good on dirt roads...in my mind equal to the F800 as you do not need the extra ground clearance.

On two track jeep trails it is again equal to the F800 up to the point where you are going over stones, ruts, that need the extra clearance.

If you are going over desert or jeep trails, etc at high speeds where you are jumping the bike, the longer (and lightly better) front suspension gives you more travel when you land before bottoming.

the cast wheels are stronger but not as tough as spoke wheels. ie the spoke wheels bend/deflect energy, and the rims are steel (i think??) again so the bend before breaking. cast wheels are stiff...but break when high by high impact.

The cast wheels track better on spriited riding on pavement (ie don't flex) and are tubeless....which is much easier to fix on the road than pulling tire and patching a tube.

because the F700 is lower it handles the twisties better because of the lower center of gravity and flick between corner easier for the same reason.

Of course the F800 looks more macho.....except when you are tip toeing around the parking lot because your feet don't fully touch the ground.

Doing the alaskan dempster or dalton roads or the trans labrador on the F700 or similar long remote dirt roads is just fine.

If you are truely going off road...get the F800 or better yet a KTM or some lighter bike

hope this helps

ps the F650 gets noticably better gas milage.(regular gas) ...not sure about the F700
  5. rockycraig

Oddometer:
    great response vtbob, just the kind of info I was looking for. I want tubeless tires, period, I don't want to have to pull a tire off to repair a tube. I have a r1200 gs now and do love it but getting tired of wrestling it around. I got it for long distance touring and after a trip cross country last year realize that's not my thing but want something stable on road to get to my offloading dirt and gravel and some jeep trails riding. I think cast wheels will be ok. I had a klx 250 and love that offroad but what a pain on road. seems like I'm looking for a bike that doesn't exist, 400 lbs, tubeless tires half decent suspension and fuel injected.
  6. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    seems like I'm looking for a bike that doesn't exist, 400 lbs, tubeless tires half decent suspension and fuel injected.

This is my 700, at least for me.

But if you are going to beat the ever lovin' crap outta something and ride like its Dakar, it probably won't work for you. We went through what I thought was some pretty gnarly stuff a couple weeks back without issues. Did it on the stock street tires too. Like I said though, I am a rookie.
  7. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    IMO and this is just MO. The 700 is great for forest service roads and unmaintained roads but up in the northwest our jeep trails tend to get pretty chewed up. I have bottomed out my 800 countless time and the 19 inch front wheel on the 700 would be more difficult going over things. If your looking at something that's under 400 lbs maybe you should look at the KTM 690, under 400 lbs and has the suspension for nasty roads.
  8. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    That KTM 690 is EXACTLY what I was thinking, almost posted a link. It has tubed tires though and I don't know if its fuel injected, didnt bother to look.
  9. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    Yes the 690 is fuel injected.

But, compared to the F650 or F700GS, the 690 is really less comfortable, burn more gas to make 100km and the tank is only 12l. Seat height is 91cm too...

You can avoid having a passenger too...
  10. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:

I have my F650GS set up for long distance "road" adventure touring. this past summer I and two friends did the alaska trip from vermont. One had a brand new R1200GSA nice bike but BIG..he is 6 4 and young so it is ok. I'm old and 5 9 so the f650 fits me fine. 10,000 miles, crused across the candian plains at 75 to 85...several 500 +mile days.
    I did put on K60s for this trip so it would be better on slick mud with the alaskan rain...yep we had some!
    I have the Aeroflow touring wind screen and other aeroflow bits, Jesse bags, etc etc....this give me almost as much weather a fatigue protection as my old RT fairing.

Let us know what you decide
  11. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Did the K60's make the whole trip? How are they on the highway?
  12. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    You can ride 10k km (6k + miles) with the K60s... But the rear will wear in square.

Good in highway, a little more vibrations but that's normal for a tire like that...

The tire is very robust so it won't be affraid of all your ADV equipment. But in the rain it is less good, due to its robustness.
  13. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yep the k60 easily made the whole trip. I took them off after 12000 miles, the front is 1/2 worn and the rear 2/3 worn. To me worn out means no tread left in the center. My friend had them on his R1200GSA for a while. That bike wore them out much faster, the rear would not have made the trip. interesting as we both rode together...same roads same speeds.

They are much better than the typical Tourances/anakees etc on dirt / gravel and especially mud. they do have some bite where the other turn in to slicks.

On the pavement they are slippery on wet roads...as compared to tourances which I normal use. They are very hard rubber to get the high miles. I do not doing aggressive riding in the twiesties evan on dry pavement with them.

Yes they vibrate at some speeds....ie semi knobbiest ...duh!

I had them up to 100 a couple of times....no problems.
    My friend on the GSA..got into a mild tank slapper (bad head shake)...which he controlled...but he took them off right after that!! Note these tires were pretty well worn at that time.
  14. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it is as good as an F650GS twin, it will be fine.

See roads below

Cofre de Perote, Mexico

[​IMG]

More dirt

[​IMG]

Some more high road dirt

[​IMG]

Good to go on dirt upwards of 4,300 meters without too many problems. Biggest issue is tire choice. I have dinged 3 rims to the point of needing replacement. This is what they can look like and still be rideable. It'll shake quite a bit above 60mph but you'll still make it home. Worst part is how unnerving the tire distortion gets.

[​IMG]

Not sure how the suspension and traction electronics of the F700 will react, but the F650GS, when used within the limits of its suspension, is fine. It'll be more about tires than anything else.
  15. rockycraig

Oddometer:
    just curious if in first gear slowing picking way through some pretty rough stuff will the cast wheels hold up. I noticed the ding in the last post and wondered if that was from speed in bad conditions. I am a slow first gear rider in rough jeep trail two track, I like to take it easy. maybe cast wheels at slow speed will do me just fine.
  16. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    the cast wheels are not glass!

Often the problem with off road is that the riders let air out of the tires for better traction....so when you hit somthing hard the tire collapses and the rock/whatever hits the rim. If you keep the tire pressure up you have to hit something hard enough to collapses the tire...ie much less likely.

You will note in the picture above...the tire is also badly damaged...from that collapsing

If you ride in 1st gear it is unlikely you will damage your cast wheels...or your tires.

get out there and do it ....have fun

If you find you ride hard enough to damage your tires and wheel, you can always upgrade to after market wire wheel ...which are evan tougher than the BMW factory wire wheels.
  17. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go back and take a look at the roads in the pics above.
    My three dinged rims have happened at speed on rough surfaces, they will do fine at slow speeds.
  18. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, it was still on the rim and got me home over 100 miles in temps above 90f so hey, it wasnt all that bad. LOL!
    The wobble over 60 mph was a pain in the arse.
  19. mostro900

mostro900 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2008 650GS, which spends quite a bit of time on dirt - in company with a F800GS, Yamaha Tenere & a KTM 640. I would consider it the least 'dirt' capable of the lot, but it easily holds its own. I've put Ricor Intimators(sp?) in the front forks and I have also put a F800 rear shock on, just for some extra ground clearance. I run TKC80's on the front and a Pirelli Scorpion something on the rear.
  20. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    The problem with the cast wheels is that if you do screw them up, you have to buy a whole new wheel.
    If you screw up a wire wheel, it can be fixed using the original hub. Much cheaper.
    It was one of the reasons I bought a lowered 800 instead of the 700...