The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    The primary reason for the secondary shaft is to reduce the torque effect of the inline crankshaft. The shaft was left out of the HP2's and the difference in smoothness between the two is negligible. The torque effect difference is NOT negligible...
  2. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    ...and look much better to me than those "special Wunderlich's" :D

[​IMG]
  3. simoneau

simoneau Biker/Adventurer/Retired Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the wet clutch we finally have a single oil crancase for the engine, transmission and alternator with the subsequent minimum number of shaft oil/air seals involved (actually ony one-the output shaft of the transmission, down from 6) similiar to any modern engine/transmission now available. Reliability should likely rise in accordance.

The engine crankshaft appears to be at the same height in the chassis as the 1200 ADV model, the bottom of the engine is approx 2 in. higher due to the lack of a finned oil pan. This accomplishes mass centralization about the roll axis. The fuel is carried farther aft and lower than the 1200, which is good. The battery is aft of the trans and lower than the 1200. Light airbox is high.

There is very little water onboard since only the heads are cooled by water. The cylinders, except for a little below the head gasket, are air cooled. The extra oil pump and cooling circuit formally used to cool the exhaust is absent. We can only hope the interior alternator is of the same type as Triumph used in their Explorer and not the continuously full power-on variety of the F800/700 series.

I think they got a lot right about this version and if they run more compression as allowed by the better cooling I think 95 ft-lbs torque is achievable with the 4% displacement increase and 120-135 hp depending on the revs allowed.

My $.02. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  4. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good and well informed post! And worth much more than $0.02....

As far as I can see the "Light airbox is high" is THE sole reason why they rotated the heads by 90 degrees.
    In this new arrangement the headers are actually on a tighter bends than before but having the intakes to point straight up allows the air box to be high up close to the steering head.
    This is the modern way of doing things and BMW is clearly following suit, good for them.

--
    Mikko
  5. ytsiwt

ytsiwt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Doesn't pass the common sense test.
    <o:p></o:p>

If that was the case the balance shaft would be just a balanced rotating mass not a shaft with off-setting weights. Those off-setting weights match the rocking couple . (if you look you can see the shaft is purposely off balanced).<o:p></o:p>
    To counter the rotating crankshaft the rotating mass would also have to be much greater nearing the rotational mass of the crankshaft. Is isn't as the balance shaft is just a small diameter shaft with off-set weighting on each end. <o:p></o:p>
    That balance shaft is also timed to crankshaft, be no need to time a simple rotating counter mass but there is a great need to time a balance shaft.
  6. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see some pictures at last. I really hope they paint the engine black as on my 2012 Triple Black. I had a 30th Anniversary 12GS with the silver engine, and it didn't look as nice as the black engine on the TC, and was a PITA to keep clean.
  7. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    Yes..but very few (Woodies) can repair and adjust them, I know I had to have woodies straighten mine out (dealer tried 3 new ones that were worse then the ones I had). The new ones look to have a conventional pattern which should be easier to work on. Of course, these photos may not really show the new bike.

Joe
  8. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the volume of water is low doesn't that mitigate it's cooling effects as a heat exchanger? And is water (and coolant) necessarily a better medium than oil for said cooling? I guess we assume water is better for cooling than oil because that's what everything uses, but most things that are liquid cooled seem to have a relatively high volume of water as compared to the size of the engine. A liquid cooled 450cc dirt bike has quite a volume of water to cool a relatively small displacement.
  9. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    The camshafts also run in line with the valves with the new araingment. This means they don't have to bend the motion of the cam to the valve with horrible shaped rockers/followers. It also means if they wanted to they could use direct bucket and shim for vastly reduced valve check intervals or even use hydraulic buckets so no check needed. It would have been impossible to do this with air cooling as one exhaust valve wouldn't have had any cooling. Either way it's a far more efficient design for the valve gear and IMHO far more important than having the air box up high.
  10. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:

I stand corrected. Thank you.
    I read the false figures on another site, found them surprising and foolishly did not take the time to check them.

Still, I would like to know if any one has seen info the wasser boxer will be lighter, have a better c of g than the current R--GS...
    Any indication of variable valve timing?
  11. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The contender Tiger Explorer XC 2013
    [​IMG]
    Triumph’s shaft-driven 1215 cc triple. Producing 135 bhp with 89 ft. lbs. of torque.

[​IMG]
    I'll take the blonde :evil
  12. simoneau

Oddometer:
    Water is a better medium for heat transfer and the quantity of water is not relavent as long as sufficient flow and radiator capacity dissipates the heat in the water prior to the next heating event in the head. The specific heat of oil and water are directly proportional to their heat dissipation abilities. Water has approx 4.2 where oil has less than 1.7. Low water quantity reduces system weight. The high volume of water represented in most engines surrounds the cylinders and in this engine that is not present.
  13. simoneau

Oddometer:
    After analyzing the head photos released earlier, I conclude the cams will again be of the tapered variety and the valves radially splayed just as the vales in the cam heads presently. The difference is both intake cam lobes are on the top cam and both exhaust lobes or on the bottom cam. As for the variable valve timing, there appears to be some extra room in the cam chain gallery, but I wouldn't count on it until later, if ever.
  14. simoneau

Oddometer:
    I like what I see in the spoked wheels. The rim is so much easier to clean and the spokes are straight rather than right angle variety used by Triumph and Yamaha. Straight spokes are much stronger and not prone to fatigue or break.
  15. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    if it's getting hard to clean just use a toothbrush. That way you show your wife that you love your bike more than her. At least that's what my Gf told me the last time she saw me doing that :lol3
  16. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    What is the story with these pics? Are they leaks from Wunderlich? Or just some photoshop nonsense. I'm sure Wunderlich has seen the bike so it these are leaks, this very well may be the bike in it's final form, along with Wunderlich bits.

g-
  17. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are photoshopped from wunderlich per their Facebook
  18. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    fxd
  19. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Except for the crash bars I really like these pictures. Anyway in exactly 28 days we'll see the final version :eek:)
  20. razcob

razcob Dromedary

Oddometer:
    BMW probably came out with a liquid cooled engine after they developed a proprietary antifreeze/coolant that they can sell for three times the cost of anything else. And, it will void your warranty if you use anything else.