Garmin Mac Software

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by GarminMac, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    So do you have an Astrolabe for sale? :lol3
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    As you may know by now, your topo map is not auto-routable.

Cheers,
  3. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to transfer tracks that I made into an external hard drive as a back up. I plugged in the HD to my Mac,tried to drag the tracks into my HD,but there is no response? That's how I've transfered pictures & music-what am I missing? Thanks
  4. interactive3

interactive3 Odd cylinders only! 1 (KLX) 3 (Tiger) 5 (VW)

Oddometer:
    That should do it. You could try putting them in a folder or compressing them into an archive before moving them.
  5. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the tracks saved as gpx files outside of BaseCamp? If they are still in BaseCamp put them in a folder and export the folder either to directly to your external hard drive or to your Mac's internal drive and then drag them over from there in the normal way.

Or, even better open BaseCamp and either Backup or Export your MyCollection folder.
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Can you use this same method to transfer BC routes from one Mac to another? I create my routes on the big iMac screen and upload them to my Zumo 660. But on the road I occasionally want to change a route (say when a local gives me a better route), but those routes are not on my MacBook Pro.
  7. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Export to gpx or gdb (gdb is smaller) and then import on the laptop. Kind of a pain, but it works.
  8. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to drag them into a folder I created on the desk top,and it still did that same as before-it won't load into the folder.How do you compress them into an archive?
  9. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you save tracks as a gpx file outside of basecamp? I did try to drag into a folder,but that didn't work either??
  10. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Select the track then go to File, Export.
  11. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did that and it worked as you instructed,but when I drag one of the gps files from my mac desktop into my external hardrive-still NO go??!!!:baldy:baldy:baldy:baldy
    What am I missing???
  12. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you drag a "regular" to your external hard drive? Have you ever used this external hard drive with your Mac before? This does not sound like a Basecamp problem, especially if Basecamp successfully exported the file to your desktop.
  13. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the disk is NTFS-formatted, in which case windows can read/write to it but Mac mounts it read-only. There's tools to make it writeable.

Dunno if it's like Parallels, but i'd set up a shared folder that mounts like a network or mass storage drive, then export it to that.

Or export it to any FAT32-formatted disk (USB drive, etc).
  14. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    O'k,so I think I may have transferred pics and music from my mac into my external hard drive( I know I did it with my windows computer),but am not certain. I just successfully down loaded the gps tracks onto a cd disc and then tried to transfer these into my external hard drive-still no go. Any other ideas-thank you for your patience all.
  15. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Click once on the icon for your external drive. Hit CMD-I. A window will pop up with some info. In the "General" box will be a line that says

"Format: ???????".

What is the ??????? on your drive? Without knowing that we can't help you much.
  16. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect you transferred them with Windows and as SnowMule mentioned, the drive is formatted as NTFS, which cannot be written on a Mac without additional software. I'd second the suggestion to use a USB thumb drive between Windows and a Mac.
  17. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The format is: Windows NT File System (NTFS)
  18. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo. You cannot write to that disk format from a Mac without buying additional software. Ether reformat the drive as FAT32 or use a USB thumb drive.
  19. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, if you are only going to use the drive on a Mac, format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Keep in mind that you lose all information currently on the drive when you format. Back up anything you want to save, first. To format the drive run Disk Utility.
  20. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it simple enough to reformat the drive as FAT32,if I do that will that restrict me from only using it with my mac and not my computer with windows? If I do reformat it will I be able to view the rest of the info already on it from either my mac or PC? If I decide to leave that HD as is,I'd like to get another one for my mac,will that mean once I use it -it will then only work with my mac? In the mean time I'll certainly buy a thumb drive. Aside from the storage capacity-are they all pretty much equal? Thanks for all the help from everyone-lot's to learn with computers.