XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. badcooky

badcooky I see dumb people!

Oddometer:
    Just get a pumper carb any pumper carb the stock carb is a POS.
  2. TurboZX-14dragracer

TurboZX-14dragracer Banned

Oddometer:
    Whatever happened to the XR 650 R? Why did Honda do away with it in favor of the old school XL 600/650?:ear
  3. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda dropped the XR650R to make room for the CRF450 to run at
    Baja 1000.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Not really, it's a bit lean though but I purposely left it that way as I ran the stock carb on a recent ride up in the rockies, we hit upwards of 13,500 feet and it was starting perfectly the whole week. It was 2 kicks cold and one hot. I'm running a TM40 most of the time, it was untested at that alt so I swapped the stock carb back in for the ride. :thumb I always do a priming kick or 2 when cold, like a clearing kick, ign off and roll on the throttle as I kick it through, we got really low humidity here and the priming kick really helps.
  5. dirtyoffroad

dirtyoffroad Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    $300 very little use.
  6. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Or make sure everything is setup right, and one kick without priming or anything...so what is wrong with the stock carb. :D I will admit sometimes the bike will have a mind of its own though.

Method, sit on seat and push down, bike starts. Even if you have to do 10 kicks its not hard...now it is when you do 30 kicks, its 95 degrees outside and your tired and the bike is flooded...but once I got that down...clear it 1-2 kicks, and then start...or if I am on a hill go down and bump start.
  7. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Just a little update on my clutch squealing. I ran it a little low on oil the other day and I bought some pennzoil 10w40 from a gas station(all they had). I haven't been able to get the clutch to squeal since. So maybe the oil I was running is the problem(rotella 10w40, and castrol gtx 10w40 for the last 10 oil changes, I bought them in gallon jugs). I had switched to rotella right before heading to mexico and getting the bike hot, so that could be the issue. I'm still not sure.

I'll find out one way or the other. But for now, I'm switching back to honda oil and running it.
  8. badcooky

badcooky I see dumb people!

Oddometer:
    They weren't selling dude.
    Ya buy one every 10 years or so,so they were dropped.
  9. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I have an Edelbrock I'd sell to one of youse guys if your interested. It comes with the cables and throttle assembly, AND as an added bonus, grip heaters. I was too lazy to remove the one from the throttle tube. lol. I'm not actively trying to sell this thing, just thought I'd throw it out there to the XR650R thread community.
    I will only ship to the lower 48 states. PM me for details.
  10. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Pm sent.
  11. cdogg44

cdogg44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Michelin AC10's are shot and I'm fixing to order some Pirelli MT21's. Good call? I want something that's not scary on the street, won't wash out on gravel roads, and then from their I'll deal with the rest if they suck in the gnarly stuff.

Anyway, I'm having trouble with sizing. I am looking at the 130/90 rear and 90/90 front. How do those sizes compare to the 110/100 and 80/100 I'm currently running in AC10's? I'd like a little bit more meat up front and something wider to hook up better in the rear.

Thanks
  12. Burkey

Burkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im running MT21's 90/90 front and a 120 rear. The 130 will easily fit, I'll be trying this one next time

Sean
  13. tarzan30

tarzan30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a guru to help with some part issues. Is the front an rear rotors interchangeable? If not can someone help with a rear rotor part source?

Looking to replace my rear rotor it has a wave :D . The specs say they are both 240mm so i just want to make sure i can use the stock front on the rear if possible.

Thanks in advance!

If you have one lying around let me know too!
  14. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    different OEM part numbers
    different MSRP

cheapest I found was 100 for an EBC rear rotor
    had a search ad up for a while now, need both rear and oversized EBC-front, no offers so far,
    XR250 definitely does not fit
  15. tarzan30

tarzan30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    talked to a honda shop and the mech said it may just be a little thicker in the rear?
  16. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am using the mt 21 140 with no problems. Decent all around tire. Good on the street and good in hard dirt terrain-fair in sand or deep mud. I got 2400 miles on last one. The one I am using now will not go quite as far.
  17. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    I had to replace my rear rotor last year due to wave. The stock replacement was around $100. I found the rear disc for the Transalp would bolt up and was a little heavier than the stock rear rotor. I found one on feebay for $45 shipped. It's been working well for me on the street, 5,000+ miles so far.

-Joe
  18. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    PM if you are considering it! Looking to buy come February! Looking for low hours and like new condition! Hoping to find one that someone just hasn't found the time for.
  19. cdogg44

cdogg44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    130/90 and a 90/90 MT21 are on the way. Also some tire irons.

This will be my first tire change EVER. My buddies are begging me to take it to a shop. I've done everything else to the bike so far so how hard could it be, right? :D :D :D
  20. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Its not hard, just take your time and understand you will probably go through a couple tubes before you figure it out. I've done a bunch now, and its easy enough I find it relaxing actually. I have a beer, and toss a tire on nice and quick.