Regaining confidence by means of scooter?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by King_Panther13, Sep 18, 2010.

1. lowbuckrider

lowbuckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All things being equal I would rank them; 1. 250 Elite, 2. 150 Elite & 3. 180 Riva. the Rivas are hard to get parts for.
  2. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been on the 150 but the 250 had a tendency to continue to bounce after hitting a bump. That, and you have very little suspension travel. Most suggest changing out the stock rear setup with a set of cb350 shocks.
  3. King_Panther13

King_Panther13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard that they have horrible auto choke problems as well, but the one that I'm looking at seems like it was very well taken care of (the Riva I mean).

I'm poking around for 250 Elites but they're all a bit out of my price range...the 150s seem decently priced. I dunno, guess I gotta just keep poking my head around.
  4. King_Panther13

Oddometer:
    Found a 250 elite for 650 bucks. Asked the guy the condition of the bike. This is his response:

"This CH250 is a good example for someone that wants to get from point A to point B on a budget. Cosmetically, front turn signal lenses need replaced (a few bucks) and the left side rubber floor mat is missing. Paint is fair but a few small blemishes. Seat is excellent.

Mechanically, it runs great, but takes a little throttle to get it started. My mechanic says the carb just needs to be cleaned. Rear tire is pretty worn but I still ride it occasionally. Not on the interstate anymore though.

$650 is very fair given it's condition. Will not take any less."

Carb maybe needing clean=yellow flag. Needing a new rear tire=yellow flag. Do you guys think 650 is worth it with those problems? It'd be over 700 I'd spend after getting the new rear tire (This is 60 miles away, and I have no trailer. So it's a 60 mile ride back home.) Then lens covers I don't think really matter, nor do I think they cost more than five bucks a pop.

As stated, at the moment my budget is really in the 500 area, and I don't want to be blowing too much money on something that I'd like to buy that I expect to be reliable.
  5. CDNbiker

CDNbiker Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I had not ridden a bike since a friends dirt bike in high school in 1976. Then I bought a Yamaha Vino 50 about 5 years ago. This spring I got bored with it and bought a Suzuki TU 250 but decided to kept the scoot. I love the TU but riding the scoot is a still a blast around town. I find it's just twist and go and it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow as they say. I think I really enjoy the scooter more now that I have the motorcycle. I tend to ride the scooter to the max - I'd recommend one.
  6. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    An Elite 250 in that kind of shape is typical of what you can get for 500~700 bucks. If it's running and legally drivable, I'd say it's not a bad deal.

Lenses, tires, and floor mats are cheap..
  7. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    yep that about right. a single carb is an easy clean and the tire is 30 bucks to buy. changing it's easy. change the fuilds at home including the gear oil and your set. they go over 50 000 miles if you do that.
  8. King_Panther13

Oddometer:
    Well, as much as I enjoy the practicality of those scooters, I don't think I'm ready to be paying that much (It isn't much at all, but I'm a college student in between jobs) nor are they as appealing to me as they always were, as I'm getting my bike back together.

However, I found this little gem: http://lakeland.craigslist.org/mcy/1993946125.html . I love those little things, and I think it'd be perfect for tearing up all....three or four twisty roads we have here in Fl to help me regain some confidence.

What do you guys think? Also, what about that price? Looks to me like the seat needs work, the guy says new lights and battery, and fuel line which means it may have carb problems. I think I can blow up to 300 before having to live off of ramen, do you think that that'd be a fair offer to this guy?
  9. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I would be willing to bet if you got yourself a good used Kymco scooter you would think twice about the the practiclity of the scooter for a student. There are several listed in your Criagslist at different prices, some slightly higher than what you were looking at. I know you will get a realiable scoot that will get you to class and work on time with a minimal of problems or challenges.

I am confident you could ride one of these Kymcos for a season or two until you get your CB running but I am willing to bet you won't want to give it up once you get the CB running and you keep a little Kymco for grocery getting and campus running while you keep the bigger shifting bike for longer freeway trips.
  10. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Frankly, you should use your money to get the Honda working properly. After that spend the money on an Experienced Rider Course. What you learn there will teach or reinforce all the basic skills you need. Learning low speed handling, including leaning and proper braking will be the biggest boost to your confidence.
    Blowing $$$ on a smaller scooter with maintenance that may be worse than what you had on your Honda won't do you any good. You still have to lean to get around a corner.
    Oh, and stop trying to ride that Honda with rear brake only. Not fair to put the rest of the motoring public at risk for your lack of responsibility! Man Up!