Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Have you tried a 1/4 fairing? I put one on and couldn't be more happy with it. Pulls the "weight" off of your chest,no buffeting and small enough that when you are in city traffic it lets enough wind around it to keep you cool.
  2. zataomm

zataomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What 1/4 fairing do you have? I'm needing something to take the wind off at 70 - 75 mph but still be comfortable in the summer down here.
  3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I picked up the Maier plastics sport fairing. It has a couple of idiosyncrasies that are more aesthetic than anything. It is made for a 7 inch headlight and has the cutouts for fork mounted signals. For $100 bucks I'm not going to bitch. I have filled in the space around the headlight since this pic and have plans to put some axillary lights in the signal cutouts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. NYP797

NYP797 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this frontal photo. I like the oem HD quick release 1/4 fairing but not the plexiglass shield in front of the headlight. The Maier has nice lines, and the lower cutouts could be filled shut or as you say some type of auxilliary lights adapted. The lower inverted valanced lip is a nice design touch. Can ya let in on who carries it. Thanks; btw I like that the windshield portion isn't too high. How's the wind buffeting at speed?
  5. Mr Natural

Mr Natural Really tired

Oddometer:
    Monterey, CA/San Felipe, Baja,MX/Iowa City, IA
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I would just do a a quick search for "Maier sport fairing". I believe that mine is the small due to the windshield being shorter than the ones typically pictured. I picked mine up at a local indy so I don't really have anywhere I could recommend. I'm 5' 10" and don't notice any buffeting. I built brackets that allow me to adjust the angle of the fairing. The main reasons that I wanted a fairing were to take some of the pressure off of my body at freeway speds and to block some of the summertime bugs down here in FL and it works great for what I wanted it for.
  7. Nitro Circus

Nitro Circus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant video Bloodwieser!
  8. Nitro Circus

Nitro Circus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can pick up a wheel for a 3/4" axel and just swap out the bearings.
  9. Nitro Circus

Nitro Circus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    600 miles two-up with my GF several times, we're still sane. 1k in a day solo too with no issues...
    skypeace likes this.
  10. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:

Get yer priorities right, Rider, the next bar is just fine.
    Or: to put it another way:
    I have a tank that goes 2 hours and a bladder that goes 1 hour...
    skypeace likes this.
  11. Nitro Circus

Nitro Circus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never had an issue with it, and to be honest, not sure how it can just fly off...the lower part of the cover is hinged so it can only just swing down if it pops out of the clips. Mine's an '09, maybe they added the hinge later?
  12. Nitro Circus

Nitro Circus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The pins can get stuck/stiff that can cause drag especially when trying to wiggle the wheel back in. When changing tires or pads it's always good to give 'em a thorough check.

I rarely use my rear brakes enough to get them too hot to touch, just a bit for balancing, trail healing and parking. Front is always too hot to touch though. And the Lyndall Z Plus pads are a good upgrade.
  13. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's another fairing option for the Sportster - the Rifle Roadster. It has a smaller opening to fit the Sportster headlight and is available with various windshields.

http://rifle.com/Roadster-Fairing-P1955C74.aspx
  14. Nitro Circus

Nitro Circus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike VMO, you got any more pics?
  15. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Oh - so I imagined it? Dealers stock them?

Mount was changed on FI bikes 07+.
  16. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats really sharp, especially for the money. Id sell the forwards and the wheel and buy mids and a wheel and pocket some cash.
  17. Aaron from Texas

Aaron from Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it's not about how often you are stopping, but how often you are able to get gasoline. There are several areas in Texas to the West of me that do not have gas stations close enough for a 3.3 gallon tank.
  18. Nitro Circus

Nitro Circus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't pissing on ya mate. Was suggesting they added/changed the hinge later.
  19. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:

It does look nice though. I test rode a 2007 XL883C where the PO had replaced the forwards with mids. It really transformed the bike for the better to me.
  20. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
    True, but still doable. I tour with my Sporty, and as necessary carry extra petrol (OK, gasoline!) in 5 ltr containers.
    As long as I am touring, I will be carrying panniers, tent etc. Not so difficult to find space for the containers. Then I dump them when I don't need them any more.
    I've crossed all the long boring dry roads in Australia like this - including the Nullabor. Then when I get to my destination, I drop off the bags and boxes and; presto! My camel becomes a racehorse again!
    Rob

Attached Files:

skypeace likes this.