Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I've got a 3 gl IMS (just released) fuel tank on my TE510 with the fuel injection system. The tank does not appear to have any difference in fabrication to other oversized tanks I've had or seen other than the opening for mounting the fuel pump. Plus if you don't vent a plastic tank thru the fuel cap it will blow up like a ballon during high heat, OEM or aftermarket.

I'm sure it is just a matter of time before the R2 has an oversized tank available. What is the available range for R2 in dirt action? It could be worse, I'm happy getting 40-45 mpg in dual sport mode while limiting the motion of the right hand.

[​IMG]
  2. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get about a 100 miles on mine before the warning light goes on.

Not yet sure what the range is before you're sucking fumes when
    that happens, but have squeezed in another 10-12 miles before
    refilling.
  3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well ... truth be told I broke the stock mirror going down in the rough stuff in one of the MA state forests. I was looking for a replacement on eBay, and the styling of these caught my eye. Looks like the brand name is "Yong Sheng".
  4. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Don't push the "0% - 0 dn - 6 or 12 mo" deal too close to the end. I've known several people who sent the whole wad in a few days to a week before the end deal, and the processing delays at the finance companies pushed them beyond the deadline and they got slammed with the full 6mo or yr of HIGH 20-30%+ interest and couldn't get it reversed!! :eek1 Those credit 'suck you in specials' usually have a nasty side to them unless you are careful and really have the funds. I've done those 0% deals in the past, let my money gain interest and paid 3 weeks to 1 month before the end to not get slammed by the finance "delays" trickery scam. My .02
  5. Iceveign

Iceveign Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I have to say this is one of the best forums I've ever been on , lots of good advice from knowledgeable people.

Well I have read many threads on all types of bikes here the last week or so because I miss dirt riding and want to return to my roots. Currently I have a 07 Aprilia Tuono which is an awesome bike, but I do stupid things on it that I know better, so am seriously contemplating a dual purpose bike.

High Five, your write ups are great, and have caused me to consider a 250 cc bike when before I thought that a 600 cc bike was what I was looking for.

Currently I had narrowed my choices to the Husky te610, and Ktm 690 enduro, Yamaha wr450, and now the wr 250. I would assume that the 3 larger cc bike would all be fine on the highway, but the 250 would excel in tighter woodsy type terrain. I have pretty much eliminated the Ktm and the 450(thanks to your write up HF) so the question I have is what you guys opinions would be on the Husky vs the wr250, the weight and bike dimensions seem close, so if any of you have experience with the Husky I would value your opinion. Thx.

Also I live in the DFW area and If anyone could recommend a good Yamaha dealership in the area I would appreciate it.
  6. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to the info I've seen, Husky is "supposed" to be releasing
    a new TEC 310 for 2009.

Damn, it's supposed to weigh in at the 240-250 lb range, a good 30 lbs
    lighter then the WRR. This could be the perfect woods weapon and street
    legal to boot!

The downside will be the maintenance,,,,
  7. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Yep- big part of why I went with the WRR rather than hold out for a KTM.
    No husky dealers around here either.
  8. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Thanks Iceveign, glad you found it informative. I have no experience with any of the "modern" Husky's. I do have lots of experience with the REAL Huskys of yesteryear....i.e. the 70's. So, I know its shocking to all, but I have to pass on this question.

In referring to the Yama's, its important to know if you mean the R² or the WR250F....since you've left your descript vague. Just want to make sure you've clarified that.

Then, my 2 cents is: how comfortable do yo want to be...for how long a period of riding (at a time)....for how much FUN. Decide that FIRST, and it should really help your decision making as you sort it out, throw legs over bikes, test ride, etc. Kind of hard to know if its "the one" just looking on paper or sitting in the showroom. Frankly, that's why I "stepped up to the plate" as Krabill said....to settle things for myself. Probably why I had so many bikes in the garage....seeking "the One". A TE310 with FI sounds very appealing. Beyond that, I donno. Perception vs. Reality...?????

For me, I've found it. R²R²R²R²R² ALL THE WAY! :deal

HF

p.s I'm having a freaking blast on R² all the time, everywhere! That's all I know for certain. BTW, I finally jumped on the KLR yesterday to take a spin. Wouldn't start.....the battery was DEAD! :huh Didn't realize it had been that long since I rode it. :cry Wow...another Revelation!
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    The TE250 has been street legal since '06. Curb weight (everything except gas) on the '06 was 244 lbs. I think it was like 33 hp at the wheel. The TE250 is damn close to the perfect woods weapon that's street legal to boot already, 310 would be even better. However, neither will be the street bike that the WR-R is.
    Husky maintenance isn't bad (valve checks are very easy), would be more than the Yam though. Tranny ratios are SUPER close, maybe they will change it on the '09. No dealer nearby is pretty much a non-issue, parts are easily available mail order.

I stepped down from an '06 TE250 to my modded '07 KLX250. TE was too much bike for my riding, too tall and short geared. There's hardly any off road riding in my area. My right arm/shoulder are less than 50% strength/range of motion so I just needed a more mellow bike.
    I do miss the Husky though:cry
  10. MiamiMotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Just noticed that Thumper talk calls the bike W2R.
    Gotta say I like R² better.

That is all, carry on.:D
  11. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
  12. boognish

boognish n00b

Oddometer:
    I want to put turn signals on my wr250. can anyone suggest a brand that would work well and how to do it.
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That's 400 meters which is .248 miles. Pretty much a 1/4 mile and about 81mph. Pretty respectable for a 250 single.
  14. MiamiMotorcyclist

Oddometer:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/
  15. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to go the LED route ... DRC makes a great tail light kit and Zeta has hand guards with integrated blinkers. wheelingcyclesupply.com has DRC, Zeta and other WR250R/X aftermarket products. There are a number of "how to" threads on this topic over at the Yamaha Dual Sport forum on thumpertalk.
  16. Iceveign

Iceveign Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes High Five, I was referring to the r2, as ya'll call it. I want a bike that I can ride 2 -4 hours on occasion in one direction on the street to get to some trails and camp site, then be able to rip it up a bit on the dirt and do some exploring. Although long, long rides on the highway is not a must, since in reality if I'm going that far from home I would probably haul it to my destination for safety and peace of mind. I just want a dual sport that will ride on the highway at 70-80 without feeling like it's being pushed to hard, I have no concerns about dirt riding with the r2. I want a bike that ways around 300lbs. or less, so bikes like the klr650 and the dr650 I have eliminated.

That's why I was considering the Husky te610, because it weighs around 309lbs. The dealer(15 miles from my house)told me the engine was different from the other te's, less maintenance and gear'd more for the road. But since reading HF's comments about the wr450 maybe having to much power on the dirt I can see how the same thing might be true with any 600cc bike.

This little 250 by Yamaha is starting to look more and more like the wisest choice, it's really growing on me.
  17. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Ok...that helps a bunch. First, I don't care what you ride...really, I don't. So, there's no "persuasion" intended here at all. R ² is a very comfortable 65 - 70mph ride on the highway. It'll make 80 ok, but I don't think I'll ever be running long stretches at that speed. I'd need a "cruise-lock" to keep the throttle pegged that long. Very close to top limit of bike.

Again, can't speak for the Husky. But that seat looks suspiciously similar to my (ex) WR450F....which was a 2x4 with vinyl. Those were made that way because the enduro bikes are intended to have riders "standing" on the pegs most of the time. Just saying....

If you ever get a field test on R ² don't be deceived by your initial (wimpy) impressions. This baby will rip it in the woods if you stay on the revs hard. Most people don't ride bikes like that. But sounds like you do. If so, I think you'd have a big fat grin on your face. Then, when you dismount....you'll look back and wonder "that's a 250 street bike...?"

Its not earth shattering, heart stopping, unbelievable power. Nope! Just maybe the most darn FUN I've ever had with a true dualsport machine. I finally quit trying to figure out why. Now, I just RIDE! :wink:

And, all my other bikes are getting neglected....really bad! :cry

HF
  18. NashvegasNeal

NashvegasNeal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you ever get a field test on R ² don't be deceived by your initial (wimpy) impressions. This baby will rip it in the woods if you stay on the revs hard. Most people don't ride bikes like that. But sounds like you do. If so, I think you'd have a big fat grin on your face. Then, when you dismount....you'll look back and wonder "that's a 250 street bike...?"

Its not earth shattering, heart stopping, unbelievable power. Nope! Just maybe the most darn FUN I've ever had with a true dualsport machine. I finally quit trying to figure out why. Now, I just RIDE! :wink:

HF[/quote]

Great post...I could'nt say it any better myself.
  19. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
  20. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    My friend Joel let Corbin use his WRR as a Guinea Pig
    and got himself a brand new prototype seat out of the deal!

These are now up and ready for sale on Corbin's
    website if anybody is interested.

http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/ywr250rx.shtml

[​IMG]