North American Tag-O-Rama!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Blinkerfluid, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
  2. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    So...are you suggesting that I make a run 2/3's the way across the country, to play with an EGG???

....and one that I've already played with at that???

Thanx anyway...but I kin wait till he's a bit closer!! :lol3
  3. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    No...to play with someones nut. :D

The USA TOR is in the PNW. :nod
  4. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    26 days. :lurk
  5. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could have gone to get this the one free day I had, but it would have been a dash and grab slabbing it all the way there and back. :cry

Instead I chose the much more fun excursion of trying to find the curviest roads in south eastern OH. I don't think I succeeded but it was fun trying :lol3

While the location is cool, it would only be fun riding there if one were on a longer trip that continued on past

Craig
  6. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    exactly what I was thinking when I dropped it there.

I have been trying to pimp it on some of the other forum threads

oh well such is life. :1drink

Yankee Dog
  7. Bikehigh

Bikehigh Not Dead Yet

Oddometer:
    Living in a van down by the Schuylkill River
    I could get one or both of the iron butt rides under my belt if I did this grab. Are there any cool sandwich joints in the area for a food payoff before hitting the slab back home?
  8. Bratso

Bratso A Heluva Sack o' Potatoes

Oddometer:

Quay St Brewing Co. on the river in downtown Port Huron.
    http://www.quaybrewing.com/

We ate lunch there the day we dropped the tag.

Ride safe !!!

:ricky
  9. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    The egg has been set on the Detroit radar. This week it will move.:evil
  10. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    Better move it quick. If it sticks around much longer, I'm dragging the thing back into Canuckistan. Getting kinda cold for that........
  11. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoot, could'a grabbed it Tuesday but wasn't watching. Too busy playing ST-Owners Tag. Anyhoo, passed it by on my way to Northern Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. PoSTing the PA Tag fotos now. Won't be back to MI any time soon. :(
  12. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    32 days, a few "threats" about getting the egg, I say it
    will just sit until spring.
  13. 42

42 Bokononist

Oddometer:
    :cry
  14. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Nope, I picked it up about noon today. It is getting chilly here in Michigan but we are a long way from 'cold.' After the next tag it should start heading to the deep south for the winter like Ohio or something. :wink:

[​IMG]
  15. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    hallelujah!!!! :clap

good job. I was getting worried.

Yankee Do
  16. dceggert

Oddometer:
    Okay, here is the new location:

Canal Park [​IMG]

20100 Clinton River Rd, Clinton, Michigan 48038

It isn't very far from the last location in Port Huron but it is historically significant. Many even in SE Michigan do not know the historical aspects of this area so a write up will be forthcoming.

In the meantime here is the new tag.

[​IMG]

The details of the sign:

[​IMG]

Oh, and one last tidbit; you even have to ride on gravel to get here for 50 feet or so!

You walk down the path towards the woods and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Follow the path straight until you get to the canal; it is about 200 feet from the above sign. When you get there it looks like this:

[​IMG]

The 'item' is under the log! It is all the way up to where the log is laying on the ground and hidden well!

[​IMG]

Historical write-up to follow.
  17. dceggert

Oddometer:
    Here are some historical tidbits about the area the ‘egg’ is now located.

Following the Revolutionary War the area west and north of the Ohio River was in dispute with England. The area, later to be known as the Northwest Territory, was technically supposed to be handed over to the new United States but England did not vacate the northern forts, including Fort Lernoult in Detroit, which caused a lot of tension between the two countries.

The English finally agreed to hand over the territory in 1796. The territory was carved up into 'counties' with Wayne County being defined as what is now northern Ohio, northern Indiana, all of Michigan Including the U.P., Wisconsin, and Minnesota east of the Mississippi River. The capital of this ginormous country was set as Detroit. Survey efforts to determine what was there as well as plans for the subdivision of the territory went into action. The survey grid plan, complete with identified ‘townships’ (even though no ‘towns’ yet existed at the theoretical grid line intersections) was the mastermind creation of Thomas Jefferson. The egg now resides in one of these townships, Clinton Township.

In 1798 a young student visited Detroit to join a survey crew led by Christian Clemens to locate a survey marker in what was to be Macomb County. The young man was Lewis Cass.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Lewis Cass must have been impressed with the wilderness surrounding Detroit because he later relocated here. Lewis Cass would go on to become the first Territorial Governor of Michigan Territory, lead survey expeditions throughout Michigan and Wisconsin, become the first Grand Master of the newly formed Grand Lodge of Michigan, become Secretary of State (I forgot under which Prez), and would run a failed bid for President of the United States. All in all, Lewis Cass is a forgotten hero of the area.

With the opening of the Erie Canal in the 1820&#8217;s, Detroit boomed with immigrants. Canals must have been the technological marvel of the time and Lewis Cass proposed a canal to cross the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. Cass contributed personally to the project with many surveys of the areas the canal would pass. The plan was to locate the entrance off of the Clinton River by the town of Fredrick only a few miles from the survey marker Cass helped locate years earlier at what is now Mount Clemens.

The canal was to link the Clinton River in the east with the Grand River in the west providing a shipping canal from Lake Saint Clair to Lake Michigan complete with many locks to manage the elevation changes. The canal would have been a boom for Chicago and north throughout Wisconsin since the only way from Detroit to those areas at the time was by ship up and around the tip of Michigan. Unfortunately, after many years of construction, the workers went on strike and refused to complete the final section of the canal unless their demands were met. The strike lasted long enough that the project was cancelled as the new fangled railroad was coming to town!

Canal Park is situated where Frederick was located and marks the entrance to the subject canal.

Here is a map to the park:

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>The canal, as shown on the map, is still visible today. Here is the canal:</o:p>
    <o:p>The entrance from the Clinton River:</o:p>
    <o:p>The dam in this area to raise the water level for the canal is still visible although in ruins:</o:p>
    <o:p>Although the canal located within this park area is in a rough decayed state, the remains of the canal are still visible on the 'developed' side of the road:</o:p>
    <o:p>The road immediately adjacent to the park, Clinton River Road, is a fun road to ride for one being located in a city. There is also a road here called Canal Road which parallels the route of the old canal from the start all the way out for several miles. There are many other locations where the remains of the original canal are still visible as seen along Canal Road.</o:p>
    <o:p>An amazing little piece of history nestled in the midst of a developed city! Enjoy...</o:p>
  18. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    very interesting to hear the origins of place names you have know most of your life.

thanks for the lesson.

Yankee dog
  19. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Time to "Bump Up this Thread"!!!

first order of business....great job with the drop & with the history lesson there Dceggert!!! :clap

and second...SOMEBODY GRAB THIS DANGED EGG BEFORE IT BECOMES PART OF A SNOWBANK!!!! :deal :eek1

Fall colors are a great reason to go fer a ride!! :norton
  20. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, only 724 mi. from my house. I wonder if I could get a couple of days off...

Now, where did I put that Passport? :D