Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    blabla...my neVV notebook is at the school. I use the old at home.

Bike is an runner, though a bad runner.

VVhen i ride the in the 0-150 km/h, vvith 50-100% full tank its pretty fine. Only thing i can´t do is tvvist the throttle complete. If i do that it vvill surge and stall like it dosn´t get all the gas needed. It vvill start at 70-80% TPS.
    VVhen riding vvith 10-50% fuel in the tank, i can only make it climb to 100-110km/h. And the surge and stalling vvill appear already at 40-50% TPS.

All above vvould make me think that the EFI bridge isn´t getting the gas it needs. As vvhen i´m 100% full on fuel i can go faster = more pressure.
    The pump i use is from the 990 Adventure. Does anyone knovv hovv much psi/bar the EFI bridge needs? Could i just use an external pump(they are cheaper).

Regards
    Mikael
  2. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    According to both the RC8 service manual and the Adventure service manual both bikes require 48 - 54 psi (3.3 - 3.7 bar) for the fuel pumps.

There is a special KTM diagnostic tool to test this but it's computer controlled, password protected, blah blah blah. Sounds like you'd just have to take it into the KTM dealer. Looks like, based on the pictures, that they connect the tool to both the tank and an empty fuel jug. The computer tool actuates the fuel pump to pump fuel through the line from the tank into the jug while a pressure gauge is attached to visually show the pressure. All the computer does, likely, is turn the fuel pump on at a set point (like full throttle or 50% throttle).
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Good info there KATOOM119

Maybe there is to much lifting for the pump. Mine is installed as per standard in the Safari and vvill have to go through 40cm hose up to the EFI bridge. hmm. If i recall right the RC8s have the tank on top and the pump right above or at niveau vvith the EFI bridge.

After searching around for some numbers to get the correct fuelpump i found this:

Hp * .38
    That vvould be
    176 * .38 = 67L per hour. That is a minimum an hour.

hmmmm
  4. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think height is an issue. 3,3bar pressure means it can lift fuel ca 40 meters (according to fuel density). 40cm is only 1% of that.
  5. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    What do the fuel filters look like? Having been through a similar problem with my 990, changing the filters brought it back to normal. Might be worth checking.
  6. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    I pulled the part numbers on the fiche and the pumps look different.
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    hmmm i thought i looked that part up back then. Thanks for the vvork KATOOM119

Edit:

I´ll empty the left tank and pull out the fuel pump next vveek. If the problem only should be a clogged filter, i vvouldbe happy.

Let you knovv
  8. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    The only other issue I can think of is if the hose running from the fuel pump to the engine stretches then you would be losing some of your pressure there.

Hope you figure it out. Bike looks killer!
  9. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should it end up being a faulty pump I have a 990 pump laying around you can have for cheap, well whatever you feel like paying for it, all the money would go to my attempt to raise some money for charity.

/Johan
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Well i got into the fuelpump today and tore it apart.

Filters looked like this when i opened them up. What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filters are on the way from Champ Gefr.
  11. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    The pump filter input doesn't look too bad, however, the paper filter on the pump output looks pretty gummed up. Similar to the one I took out of my 990 last week. It wouldn't rev above 4500 and acted like fuel starvation. Gefr's filters solved my problem. Bet it will solve yours. :deal
  12. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Of course there is some envy on exploring new territory like locul did. Needs great courage, bravery and imagination I don't have. After having accomplished this titanic project, here comes a production bike in the "same" lines with the "housemade" project. So there is competition. Apart from the internal mental wondering, there is the moment of logical comparison of two products: the industrial and the household application of similar targets. The household product moves in more personal options like more suspension travel and ground clearance while the industrial should have a more thought through compact design. My question refers to the comparison of the final product of a cold blooded tester. What virtues each bike has and how do they unroll through everyday life with each of these two niche bikes...:earwell obviously this cannot happen so I asked if locu has taken a test ride with the new breed.
    Cheers.
  13. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kay?
  14. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well new filters are never a bad thing. For what it is worth though those ones you peeled open are WAAAAY better than those I took from my 17k mile Adventure.... They actually look pretty good.
  15. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    put new filters in it, you will be glad you did...
  16. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    The tea bag is a drainage suction filter. Dirt and grim is supposed to stay outside, so the inside we see is immaculate as it should be. On the contrary the paper pressure filter inside is displayed correctly and seems there is a cover with greyish color?
  17. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I can assure you Gefr that the bikes are not identical. And that´s only with my road test in comparison. 320mm legs and those HP numbers don´t really go hands together. Hard accelerations will make the bike "sail" a bit and that is even without the ability to full throttle. The suspension setup is hard.

The 1190 Adv(r) will be way more nimble than my bike by far. Then again i´m sure if we hit some speeds mine will shine. But i can´t relate on that while the bike only has ventures exciting tar!?!?!?

My light output is insane, but the housing isn´t good enough. It vibrates to much. I´m looking into some complete LED headlight solution or just using rallyraid. A winterproject...

oh...i don´t know the seat height on the 2013 1190, but i would probably win that one. With my 17/17 setup its 98cm.

I´ve ben curious on how to maken a better seat. My tailbone suffer a bit on the long hauls. I´ve always looked at the DIY splitseat solution and thought it could be a valid way. Since i have 2 seat iand the bike was apart i choose the poorman way.

Behold the ass-keep:

[​IMG]

Regarding the fuel issue. I sincerely hope that you are right. If just this is what needed to go warp speed i´m all out happy.

Mikael
  18. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

Locul, since you have gone so far with your (fantastic) project, I think it would be a good idea to go a little bit further and install an external fuel pump-filter assembly. It will save you from a lot of trouble on the long run. There must be many options if you decide to take this route.
    You could even make a little sub-tank (something like a small box) which will sit below your main tank and house an internal fuel pump, borrowed from a bike like eg a hayabusa.
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Good thoughts there. I haven´t worked with these "touchy" injectors before and i will be more precautious further on.

The rear tanks are filtered before they join with the main tanks.

Bottomline is that i will revise my setup for fueling.

more to come.
  20. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Visit the Gym and pump the leg press more frequently, with plenty of weights!:ear