Vans!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hayduke, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    That isn't up on Talimena is it?
  2. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    I guess vans are better than motorhomes...

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AG1HPTAOrBw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AG1HPTAOrBw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
  3. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:
    Hook up a timing light (assuming you still have the scale on the fan housing), disconnect the vacuum hose from the distributor, and rev the engine up. You should see the timing advance to somewhere around 30-32 degrees BTDC(should go more left as revs rise). This will tell you if the centrifugal advance is working. Under the rotor is a felt wick that needs a few drops of oil during tune-ups that often gets overlooked, causing the advance plate to stick.

With the vacuum hose connected, I've seen timing as high as 40 degrees. The important thing to see is the smooth progression as revs increase.
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Trying to help a friend out and i mentioned that this collective knows their van crap. My buddy bought a 2010 E350 that was a passenger converted to work. it has insert where the windows were. He saw a Chevy with a door setup he loved. It is a Chevy option, but he has a Ford. Anyone know of a setup like the one below for a Ford?
    [​IMG]
  5. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Now that is a cool idea....never saw one like that before.
  6. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    If that gutless POS :evil has a carb it probably needs the choke adjusted.
  7. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    you may be ready for yer own thread.

:lol3
  8. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Progress being made on the chopped 77 street van on Vannin.com

[​IMG]
  9. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:
    This may be your biggest problem. Get some tools, some books and start learning how your bus works. I've had issues on the road that I've been able to fix because I carry a tool kit and a manual.

Just a suggestion.
  10. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:

fixed :rofl
  11. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:
    Sounds pretty good. :clap

While the tank is out, replace all rubber fuel lines with proper NEW fuel injection hose and clamps. (I used BusDepot stuff, about $50). Horror stories result from a broken line running at 35psi.:cry

I didn't mean to come off as a dick with the tools/preparedness line, just to illustrate that when rolling in old VWs, you are your own best mechanic.:freaky
  12. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    When rolling in anything older, you're your own best mechanic. :nod

DAMHIK that old British cars break down on the road...

M
  13. kingbee

kingbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very true, but especially so with aircooled, F.I. VWs. If you break down with an old Chevy there's always someone with tools, parts, and know-how to get you rolling again. Not always the case with a Volks.

a1fa, Your posts bring back memories... During my VW phase I worked in various Volkswagen dealers, as a mechanic and later a service writer. The injection system on the aircooled Vanagons and late Type Ones was, shall we say, temperamental. Kept the tow companies busy though. I like V-dubs, but mine were all carb'd- the newest bus I owned was a '69. I always wanted to put a set of 44IDF Webers on a Vanagon, but California frowned on that sort of thing back then; even more so now I imagine. I left the car business, and the state of California, far behind years ago.

Could be worse- you could have a Waterboxer :huh

Cheers,
    Dave
  14. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    This 4WD Chevy just popped up for sale a couple of days ago. Its a mile down the street and I had to stop and take pics today. The for sale sign says its an '88 with FI for $6800. Obviously its been resprayed and the itnerior is not ideal. The PO installed two rows of bus seats in back which are only suitable for children. Cool rig, as these seem to be custom made.
    [​IMG]
    Check out the 110 and 220 ac plugs.
    [​IMG]
    If anybody wants, I'll be happy to PM the sellers phone number. I don't know him, but he has had some cool stuff for sale in his front yard.
  15. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Cross posted from the Aston Martin thread...many thanks to the OP who shared this.
    [​IMG]
  16. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you how hard that shit is to get back IN to the vehicle once its out. :bluduh

Did it to the Ford 8N tractor just last week. The magic smoke wanted out so badly it took the top of the coil off as it escaped! :eek1

M
  17. Hayduke

Oddometer:
  18. Hayduke

Oddometer:
  19. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
  20. Hayduke