The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did read somewhere that pricing will be at or below current GS pricing...I will try to find that info today and post it here! Maybe $14,000 Teneres have kept the price down. Officially, "No news on price yet, but BMW has confirmed that the UK will be offered an exclusive R1200GS TE (touring edition) version with many factory-fit options as standard. However, at the moment there's no sign of an Adventure version, which in the UK normally accounts for close to half the sales of GSes." Also, there's word of a "Enduro Package" that will make it much more off-road worthy. Metal bags? Beefier skid plate? Engine and tank guards? Handguards? Who knows...?

One thing is for sure! I am liking this bike more and more! I would paint the "Samurai sword" radiator covers black and repaint the beak and tank cover in the same pearl yellow as my 2005 GS!

I also heard mention that BMW's LED headlight may not be offered as an option in the US due to DOT regulation :scratch...Harley Davidson offers a very similar but DUAL "Daymaker" LED set on their CVO Road Glide that supposedly is crazy BRIGHT!

See Link: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/568/14127/Motorcycle-Article/Harley-Intros-New-LED-Daymaker-Headlamps.aspx
  2. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    :clap:clapWhat color? I'm ignoring all the pessimism on this board. BMW continually improves these bikes! Can't wait to preorder mine.
  3. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would really suck if it isn't available in the US. But, as you pointed out, HD already has this option. I know you've been able to buy the single 7 inch round LED from Harley as an upgrade to the current Touring bike lineup. The CVO's have it as standard I believe.

With the number of cars sporting true LED headlights (available on most Audi's), you'd think the DOT regulation should be easy to pass in this case. Looks like the LED headlight for BMW comes with the LED turnsignals, too. I dig it...nothing beats awesome lighting at night...
  4. Midnullarbor

Midnullarbor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beemerlover (#2750) makes a very good point.

The gearbox/transmission is remarkably over-complex. Power from the crankshaft must go through four pairs of gears before reaching the shaft in the swingarm. (Versus only two pairs, in the current & past boxers ~ certainly one of the reasons contributing to the current fuel efficiency superiority over the transverse-crankshaft "big shafties" like the S10 and the Explorer.)

The extra friction must worsen fuel consumption a bit ~ probably more noticeable at lower throttle openings.
    Maybe the slightly higher compression ratio will counteract that, to some extent.

Still, you can see that the engineers were aiming at compactness of design, and were okay with some compromises in order to achieve it. (In the face of an un-compact cylinder layout which had to persist.)

Transmission efficiency aside . . . it all looks very impressive.
  5. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Except there is no water in the heads. It is a waterboxer.
  6. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    Two radiators and only one on the right has a fan
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Led passing lamps as well... :evil

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jj3qLJozbs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    what it sounds is ugly and about tenth grade.
  9. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    So what, that's not unusual. Can you not clearly see the water flow in the illustration :scratch
  10. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Do we know BMW's internal name, number, or other designator for this new engine? That might help to suggest a name we use.
  11. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Project Subaru"
  12. kvr929rr

kvr929rr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda did that on their SuperHawk and VFR800 in the late 90's. I wouldn't anticipate much of a problem with it.
  13. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

WHERE??
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The high beam is on the left cluster, at the front, you pull it in with your index finger to flash or push it out to keep it on. It's not visible in the picture, as it faces the front of the bike.

Attached Files:

15. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I like that, at least I'd like to see the switch.

16. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The S10 afaik has been reporting better economy than the boxers, despite having to turn the power twice AND using a hypoid rear end.

So while it may be true that there are more meshes in the new tranny than the old one, this factor doesn't necessarily guarantee increased fuel consumption. Factors that suggest better economy : no separate chain drive for balance shaft, gear driven rather than belt driven alternator, water cooling.
  17. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    :huh

The electronic suspension on the 2010-2012 Duc is by Ohlins. For 2013, both BMW and Ducati have gone with Sachs to get their "semi-active" technology.

And FWIW, the Sachs system does NOT have electronic pre-load, which was the source of the troubles with the Ohlins units (with the Ohlins, the pre-load servo fails, not the damping bits).

-SM
  18. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    +100

-sm
  19. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing, but look closely at the pics and you'll see plastic ducting that forces the hot air coming through the rads out away from the rider. :thumb

-SM
  20. Boxer-lust

Boxer-lust Banned

Oddometer:
    After looking at the pictures and let it all sink in I must say I like the looks of the new GS as the new engine is as good of a design for a motorcycle engine as it gets !
    The 2 cylinder boxer was always a perfect motorcycle engine for everything but roadracing purposes with it's balance,low center of gravity,no crankshaft gyro to affect handling in a negative way,ease of maintenance and unique ability to protect bike and rider in case of mishap.
    Now they made the intake runners straighter to get more power and put the clutch where it doesn't cause expensive bills anymore if it needs to be replaced.
    No alternator belt anymore that can break or needs to be replaced.
    As for accessability it sits under a cover that should beeasy to access after the tank is taken off.
    As for the valve adjustment it looks like the cams have to come off because the followers don't slide to the side anymore like in the camheads.But even this should be easy as no timing chain has to come of with the gears driving the cams.
    Should be a great engine powering a 135hp/nm R1200RS in the near future...:D
    My guess is that a water-boxer R1200RT and R1200GS-ADV are next for 2014 out in autumn of 2013...