Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enough about tire pressure.

So, uh, what oil are you running in your bikes? :zilla
    :lol3
  2. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shell Rotella T, 5/40 of course. Are there any other oils on the Market??

:D:D:D
  3. firejosh

firejosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No one told me I need oil in my bike...:rofl
  4. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you know:D
  5. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    What's up with the Safari tank for the WRR? justgastanks still says "out of stock until June '12" :huh

Have they (Safari) decided to stop making them? Anyone manage to buy a new one recently?
  6. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys got cabin fever already & thanksgiving hasn't even come yet...
  7. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Tire pressures are dictated by so many things....which tires, what conditions, suspension settings, rider style and weight, and even outside temperatures. Picking one set of numbers that someone posts online just seems crazy to me. Maybe as a starting point. :D
  8. mbhunter

mbhunter OnTheEdge

Oddometer:
    Fri, Nov 9, 2012 9:30 am
    We are expecting them to arrive next week. I have the tanks here but no internal parts. So thats all im waiting on right now.

Thanks, Thomas

Just Gas Tanks.com
    Customer Service Dept.
    T. 760 758 3725
    F. 760 690 9116
  9. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Correct DougZ73;

The numbers I posted above are a starting point based on the Yamaha factory recommendations for the factory TW301&302 trailwing that are OEM on the WRR. They have the same 33psi Max Load as the Kenda 270 we were talking about. So for street I run around 28-29psi rear(which is 4-6psi under max that I alluded to above to allow for heat expansion) 22psi front for a Loaded WRR and My 240lbs. others will be less/ or more. I am just changing out the front OEM original @ 5500miles. The rear lasted to about 4800miles. Mostly hard road and gravel roads of East Tenn.
  10. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  11. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    I tried searching the thread, but to no avail, so thought I'd ask.

Have a 2008 WR250X. Love the thing; keep intending to buy dirt wheels and make it a semi-R, but money keeps getting in the way.

I've been having a coupleof battery issues lately -- I suspect the battery is weak after the second time it dropped. Didn't think it was a huge issue, until this last time.

Battery was dead. Charged it, started the bike, and the speedo was registering 3 or 4x my actual speed. (And, yes, the odometer clocking along merrily with it). Figured it had to be electrical, but decided to drop the battery 'just in case' it'd magically fix it, but to no avail.

A quick google sees Internet evidence that this is not 'uncommon' (Couple of posters over on wr250forum, at least). Consistent low voltage to the gauge will, maybe, break it and cause this speedo error. The fix -- replace the gauge cluster :eek1. Called the local dealer, but they didn't have any idea short of 'replace the battery and bring it to us to run thru' the service manual'. That sounds expensive to me, and if it's just going to end up with buying a new gauge cluster, then I guess I'd rather start with that.

Before I go out and order a new cluster:
    Has anyone here seen this?
    Any suggestions on anything else to try before I just bite the bullet?

And, if I do have to order the cluster. where's the cheapest place?
  13. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    You probably checked, but just in case, you're sure it didn't just reset to km/hr? (I realize that wouldn't be 3-4X, but I got surprised once when I accidentally set it to read km instead of miles)
  14. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This problem has been reported on the WR site (I saw your post). It appears that the problem occurs when the battery is drained while the key is on. If you pull up, turn the bike off with the kill switch, forget to turn the key off, and run the battery down while the key is on it FUBARS the head unit. I have seen a couple for sale on ebay, but I don't think there is any way to repair one once it screws up.

I don't know what the adjustment ranges is on one of these, but maybe????......................................................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SpeedoDRD-Y...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cca906bb8&vxp=mtr
  15. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi I've had one on order since sept 2nd safari tank that is and they gave me that same line Oct 24th when I posted on there vendors thread on here. I hope it is this coming week I'm gonna call them and given hell. It shouldn't take 2 months to get small parts shipped from alstralia.
  16. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW I ordered these bolts from Service Honda and they were perfect
  17. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

Just curious, did you try the local Honda Auto Dealer? Parts like these are a lot easier for me to get from the car parts department--they're much closer than the nearest Honda MC dealer, no shipping costs, and they usually get them next day if they're not in stock. But if you're not close to a car dealer then I guess it's no big advantage.
  18. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    First -- yeah, I've been surprised when I shoved it in km/h. It's further off than that, and in mph still. I wish I was that dumb. :)

Didn't /think/ I left the key on; it wasn't on when I loaded the thing to take it down to Arroyo Seco.

Still -- definitely got the unit FUBAR, showing all the symptoms of the buggered head unit from the WR forum. I just haven't seen it reported anywhere else but there, and it's a pretty serious issue.

I have one; I don't think it's do /that/ much of an adjustment. It is at least 3x off, and possibly more than that. Quite exciting, really.

The new head unit is less than I feared, more than I hoped. I'll probably just stalk eBay for a bit and if that fails, get a new one. Boo.
  19. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the four local (within 20 miles) Honda car dealers but due to the Hurricane they all were having problems with their computer systems. Being the impatient bastard that I am I decided not to wait and ordered them online.
  20. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    This is a problem with (at least one) WR450 also, my riding buddy's speedo went apeshit in much the manner you describe, reading crazy high. In his case it just happened, there was no dead battery or other event to point your finger at.

Looking at the 250 and 450 components, they are very similar.

You may want to expand your Google search for solutions to include the 450; though I don't think he ever solved the problem.