New BMW Scooters

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by oldhippie1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    But you can link to a picture on the web. If you have a Flicker account or something similar, you should be able to link to that picture.
  2. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's this?
    [​IMG]
  4. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    That pic looks familiar.:lol3
  5. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    I'll have you know that's a brand new pic*

*New to this thread at least. :wink: besides, it turned out really well
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I have scheduled a test ride for this Saturday. I will be able to ride both the C650 and the C600. I am more interested in the C650 but it will be interesting to compare the 2 scooters. I've been reading about the C650 and it seems to be the new benchmark of GT scooters. I'm thinking it should be a good alternative to touring bikes. It's also half the price of a BMW R1200RT (loaded with options).

There's a comparo between the R1200RT and the C650 here:
    http://www.moto-station.com/article...moto-voici-le-meilleur-commuter-premium-.html

The article is in French but the rating is at the bottom. Considering how good the R1200RT is, I would say the C650 did pretty well.

There's also a comparo between the Burgman 650, the Aprilia SRV 850, the Honda Silverwing, and the BMW C650GT (also in French) here:
    http://www.scooter-infos.com/dossie...ki-burgman-650-honda-sw-t-600.html#ad-image-4

Google will help with the translation.
  7. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    When you go on your test ride make sure you get out on the highway and pass some tractor-trailers. I think you'll be impressed by how little the side drafts affect the bike. Also, find a couple of corners where you really lean over. This thing tracks like an RT. I've got over 2k miles on mine so far.
  8. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only negative I see with my wife's 650 is seat height. For the vertically challenged its a bit of a issue. Hopefully someone at the long beach show will offer a solution as several seat makers are selling there wears there. Still think its sounds a little pathetic pulling away from a stop, maybe drilling out muffler will help
  9. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    30" inseam here with a bum leg. I have yet to find a graceful way to get on it. The ride is worth the gymnastics. I only put 1 foot down when stopped so even though it has a wide girth, the stretch is no worse than on my skinny DR650 and Hypermotard. I'm interested in seeing what Rick Meyer comes up with for the seat but it would have to be pretty special to get me off the stocker. As far as the sound goes, I think BMW did that on purpose so they could sell more of their $700 Akropovic mufflers.
  10. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mrs. Samthg was with me at the LB show last nite, and she was smiling big time when sitting on the GT. Seat height is diffently an issue. Did you have any luck in the seat search? Have you aired out your GT yet? I'm working today, but I did drive by the LB BMW breakfast event this morning. They had a lot of bikes out there. Great to see events like this can still bring out the folks. Did you attened?
  11. sinned

sinned Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to test ride the C650GT yesterday. It was a short test ride - about 15 minutes.

the GT is a nice looking scooter and has very well thought out features: electric windshield, heated seats, a parking break linked to the side stand, and an easy-to-read dash that slowly dims away when you turn off the ignition.

The GT is easy to put on its center stand. It's a (very) heavy scooter but its center of gravity is so low that it's only noticeable when the engine is off and you're rolling it out of the garage - in this case the showroom floor. It handles really well at low speed.

The riding position is comfortable but the reach to the handlebar is too short. I had the chance to sit on the C600 and I thought it fit my body better. The C600 is very close to a Tmax in terms of riding position. In comparison, the C650's handlebar was wider, higher and closer to the rider. The width wasn't an issue and neither was the height but the closeness of the handlebar wasn't to my liking.

So what's it like to ride? The GT has lots of power. I used to own a Tmax and I could immediately tell that the GT was more powerful. It's not as nimble as a Tmax. Yes it handles turns very well and the wide handlebar helps a lot but you always feel the weight is there if you try and push it a little hard. It reminded me a lot of the Honda Gold Wing. Easy to ride, comfortable, powerful, lots of features.

Do I think the GT would be a good alternative to a touring bike? Yes until you ride it. Sure the ride quality is nice (quality suspension). Yes it is comfortable for you and your passenger. The load capacity is impressive. So what is it? The first issue is the wind noise. The windshield was noisy on its highest setting. I am 6 foot tall and I would need an aftermarket screen because the OEM screen creates some turbulence and noise at 40mph and above. The top of my helmet was buzzing. But that's a problem that can be dealt with pretty easily. The second issue is the engine noise and vibration. The engine was very noisy at low speed. I even thought it was weird but what kills the deal is the engine vibration. The GT was buzzing at idle speed and while riding. It vibrated enough to make the rearview mirrors buzz at idle speed. And it's everywhere. You feel it in the handlebar and you feel it in your feet when you ride. I know BMW didn't rubber mount the engine and it was a big mistake. My feet were tingly from the ride.

So in spite of all its good qualities, the vibration problem kills it for me. I wouldn't buy one. And that's a shame. If BMW fixes the vibration issue and rubber mounts the GT then I would buy one with my eyes closed as it would be a perfect alternative to a touring bike while costing a lot less. Why BMW overlooked the issue is beyond me.
  13. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    I never noticed the vibration that you speak of in my test rides up to over 90 MPH and lots of parking lot figure 8's etc. The BMW scooter that I road had well over 1,000 miles on it.
  14. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Given your signature you may be biased...

But yes, just start the scooter and look at its mirrors vibrate. Now if you've been riding a boxer you may think the GT is pretty smooth.
  15. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so you'd prefer it had no character, sound, vibration? be electric smooth? it is a motor bike... even though its a scooter or.... maybe not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    Also keep in mind the 270 degree firing order of this motor - does the Burgman have a firing character like this? What else in the scooter realm does?

I have a feeling the V-twin throb of firing design might explain this new sensation you're describing. Also if it's like other BMW's, the engine will smooth out with every oil change. (I fired up a 10,000 mile, 10 year old single 650cc BMW the other day and was SHOCKED at how much smoother it feels over a new 2013 :eek1)
  17. 2wheelfish

2wheelfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my test ride I don't remember the vibration, but I do think it was awfully noisy (stock exhaust). I came away from that ride thinking that was the biggest problem. I kind of like scooters to be/sound smooth and came away from that experience as though the scooter was so loud it was annoying. Now that I have heard other people's impressions of vibration and engine (not exhast) noise I want to go on another test ride to check out the vibration and noise to see if this is livable or not.
  18. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    I had someone at work comment on how good the bike sounded going by him in the parking lot. This surprised me since I think it sounds like an outboard motor. I had a friend ride it around the parking lot and make a few passes by me so I could hear what others do. I was impressed. Cruising along, it was almost silent. I've got to remember that when riding up behind a pedestrian in a parking lot. When he came by on the throttle it had a nice throaty sound to the exhaust. That little experiment saved me $800 since I don't have the overwhelming desire to get the Akropovic slip on can that the dealer sells. I can live with the sound of n my end as long as it doesn't sound like that to everybody else.
  19. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you didn't feel any notable vibration when you rode it but now that you've been online and seen that others have said it had vibes, you need to go and see if you can now see this... awesome.

:rilla
  20. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    +1