Which used trials bike to look for???

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Gordy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    I can't believe my kids got this old with me around and never caught the bug.
    the 18 secretly lusts after my Lc4 but dagwife is way over the top about him riding.:bluduh
    the 13 yo would kill himself in 0-flat. no fear is an understatement...and common sense is a reach:lol3
    I figure a trials bike would settle her fear and Reed wouldn't actually kill himself on one.:rolleyes but even that is a reach.
  2. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Don't you need a new couch first? Sandy could help Debbie pick one out.

What is the worst that could happen?

:evil
  3. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are new, a 200 cc will do fine. Power is not required as the bikes are geared so low and the engines are torquey right off idle. A Gas Gas 200 Pro would be an awesome first time bike. Many top riders use the smaller engine bikes, and for you traction will not be a problem in the slick stuff.

Some Beta's have clutches that wouldn't release when cold, causing it to be hard to put into gear or shift for the first while. As well, the kicker is on the left side, some find this odd. Great build quality though...typical Italian finish. The 250 Beta is a killer motor...you will not need 270-300 CC's...and yes, it is an American thing.

I have a Scorpa with the Yamaha engine, and it's really soft on the bottom end, but hits like a freight train when the revs are up, for a hill climb or a splatter. Bullet-proof engine, but the carb is Yamaha's old TK piece of dung. However, a very very good bike. One of the first flyweight bikes. (160 lbs in 2000)

Montesa's have the reputation of one of the better drive trains, little things like 2 seals on the water pump etc. (2 stroke)

Sherco was originally the retro version of Bultaco...and were a clone of the previous Gas Gas in a lot of ways. Andreu Codina left GG and started Bultaco/Sherco. Good bikes and one of the strongest dealer/importer networks.

Go to a National event and see who is there as far as factory support trailers...then see who is in your area, as this is how you should choose.

The bikes are ridiculously close for the average rider. Choose by the network closest to you. If you need a non generic part, you'll want your dealer to be close.

Watch how much your road riding and general off road riding improve with a trials bike as a cross trainer. Can you say "David Knight"?

I have had a 91 Yamaha TY 250, a 97 Beta Techno 250, a 99 Bultaco 250 and now the Scorpa 250. I've ridden all the others, and as Sammy Miller always says, it's not the bike, it's the rider.

Good choice on a newer toy. You will just love those great little bikes.
  4. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    i have a 2001 scorpa 250---great bike, bulletproof yamaha motor, lightweight, good suspension. i don't really ride it antmore, might be convinced to sell it or trade for a good dualsport??
  5. Ned1

Ned1 intentionally keeping it unserious

Oddometer:
    He was. It lives in the BC mountains now and has a good diet of alpine ridge riding and snotty one track where an enduro just aint gonna happen....:evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

It's small enough. You could take it apart and ship it UPS! :nod
  7. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  8. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Would the smaller engine be a problem at altitude? We typically ride at 7-10,000 feet. Some of the guys I ride enduro with have the 200 KTMs and they are puked out at anything over 9,000. :ear
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

You had to remind me of that...:cry ..........and no, I can't afford your wife's help! :lol3
  10. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:

The riders I know will re-jet for the higher altitudes. (not req'd on the Montesa 4 stroke with EFI)

As well, you can advance the timig for that particular day or trip. If you will be mainly imitating an enduro bike or basic trail ridng, 250 would be good, however if you want to compete in a club trials event or ride the tight technical stuff, smaller is better.
  11. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    If you are going to be at altitude a lot and are more play riding than actual trials sections, I would definately go for a 250 or 272 machine.

Your price of under $3000 should net you an early 2000's machine in good shape. If you can find a GG 280 Edition or 321 these are very good dependable bikes. The motors are slower reving than current bikes, but that's usually good for a beginner.

You probably won't find a Beta, Sherco 250's in these years. Most were the 272's. A Monty 315 would still be a good choice. Try call Lewisport in CA. They usually have a good selection of used stuff and ship all over the states. As someone mentioned earlier, hook up with the area trials club. Bound to be some machines for sale.
  12. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    One more valid thought:

The modern Scorpa and Beta are the only bikes without the dreaded dog bones to look after. A link-less shock is used, eliminating the maintenance and replacement of those parts and bearings...even the periodic re-greasing.

I bought my Scorpa for that reason and would look at link-less again for my next bike. Trials designers don't put grease nipples on any of the suspension parts anymore, so a disassembly is req'd to do any maintenance.

Have fun and spread the love. :D
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Checking on an '03 Montesa 315 right now. Supposed to be in excellent condition. :scratch
  14. Ned1

Oddometer:
    ^ excellent point (linkless).

How much for the 315?
  15. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

I'm offering 3K.

This is what I'm talking about:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_wyAUcyPqKE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_wyAUcyPqKE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

These guys didn't get to that level without riding trials. :evil
  16. Ned1

Oddometer:
    That'd be a pretty good price of the bike is in good condition. Hope you get it.

Good viddy, those crusty old bags of moto boot leather have roasted a few bikes I'm sure.... :D.

I found the trials bike a nice crossover from old school North Shore mountain bike riding. I've got lots of practicing to do but so far so good.
  17. vuugti

vuugti Pretty much...

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the local trials club shit if you wheeled in to race on a KTM RFS????:lol3

That is one impressive video, also doens't appear you need to be a physical specimen either.:rofl

I face the exact dilema, the Monty's are holding a good buck, but the Beta's that I've seen can be had very reasonable. '03 for 2.5K. I really like the Honda powered Monty but the Beta parts are far easier to come by where I'm at.

Andy
  18. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll second the 200 for a new trials rider. Or a Scorpa 250 or one of their small four-strokes. Something with gentle power off-idle. You will lose fewer points that way. Before I got my Scorpa I had a Beta 250, which wasn't all that fierce for a trials bike. I did better with it after I retarded the timing to reduce the low end hit. The softer response was less fun on the loop but easier to control in sections.

Even though I've been riding off and on for quite a while I'm not very good, so I want the bike to make it as easy for me as possible. As a new rider, unless you are unnaturally gifted, you'll be the same for a while.
  19. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:

Some of the best Trials riders I know have a mountain bike background, either the North Shore or Whistler/Garabaldi.
  20. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    yes, i actually had a bultaco sherpa t shipped from colorada to florida that way a few years ago. interested??