Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the rest of you (those looking at the Beta) but I'm surprised that we're seeing Waypoint Sort by Symbol and not seeing Waypoint Sort by Alphanumeric (as well as a general Sort by Alphanumeric feature for all data lists). Based on my subjective tracking of Feature Requests, that one has the lead over all of them.

Cheers,
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If anyone has doubts about the durability of the Montana 600 Series you might want to check out the Andes Moto Extreme Team. They are using the Montana for there historical altitude attempt.

Hope they make it!!!

Cheers,
  3. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope they didn't load the v3.93 Beta firmware update.
  4. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those who wondered how Raytech (Garmin's Repair Depot in Canada) would respond to Garmin's Montana replacement authorization, I mailed my Montana to them on Friday afternoon. They received it on Monday and this afternoon (Tuesday), I received a shipping notice from Canada Post informing me that they had picked up a parcel for me from Raytech. I'm presuming this is a new Montana 600. I think I'll pass on the Beta firmware this time 'round.
  5. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    That is good to hear. My experience must have been isolated. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers
  6. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The HDD is the issue, I ran a diagnostic tool after I had all the BaseCamp failures, I also had a number if BSOD over the past 6 months so i was a tad concerned and it told me 21% failure of some sectors so I did start to back up prior to getting a new HDD under warranty. But, it now fails to boot, it has lost the MBR and wants an install disc, which I never got so today it went into the doctors with the explicit instructions about reinstalling windows so I can recover data, then they can have it back to replace the HDD . Hopefully I can get all my routes, tracks and POIs back, plus other stuff of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    TravellingStrom
  7. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I do have an adaptor after my original lappy died, but see my post above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    TravellingStrom
  8. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    I finally got a chance to spend some time on the bike with the Montana, courtesy of some record warm temps up here in MN, and I am very happy I took the plunge! Certainly, there was some frustration with figuring out how to set up and use this new technology,( I am a long-time 60Cx user), but this thread was a huge help. Especially DRTBYK Dan!
    I love the display- easy for these aging eyes to see in sun or shade. And the touch screen is actually more glove-friendly than the small buttons on the 60Cx. After making ,(and borrowing),some Shortcuts that seem useful for me, I realized that there are several ways to access Shortcuts and Apps available. They can go in the App tray, which can grow as large as you want, or the Main Menu page, which can also grow to several pages if desired. You can also put them in the Favorites Dashboard, so you can access them on the Map screen. I found that having more than 3 favorites requires you to scroll down to find the next ones, and there is no up or down button for this dashboard. When I try to scroll by touching the bottom of the dashboard and flicking it up, I usually just end up starting the closest App or Shortcut, so I limit the items I have put on the Favorites Dashboard. And, then there's the Power button, which can access several functions.
    You can mix and match all of these however you want, just make it easy for you to find your most-used functions, and spend some time getting used to using them.
    So- two thumbs up for the Montana!
    Basecamp-not so much.
  9. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I am on the Basecamp beta program. Every time I start it a new version seems to come down down.

Some of the things are just stupid, like Search for an address. Why can I only search the area of the screen?
    If I tell it 1234 South Main Street, Roanoke VA and it should be able to figure out I want to only search for Main Street in Renoke VA even if it's not shown on the map.
  10. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW.....That is quite an undertaking!

Cool that they are using the Montana.

On a side note...
    When I was checking out their site I noticed this... http://www.adventurebikerider.com/
    I can't believe I have never heard about that magazine before.

Jon...
  11. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdvRonski
    So- two thumbs up for the Montana!
    Basecamp-not so much.

True that!
  12. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    I previously reported a problem to Garmin where the Montana gives error when loading a Direct (off-road) route that has more than 50 waypoints. They agreed it was an error and would fix it. It isn't mentioned in V3.94 Beta and I don't want to upgrade while I'm travelling. Could someone with the upgrade please try a >50 point route and see if it's fixed. Most of my off-road routes have 100-250 waypoints.

Thanks
  13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Not changed in v3.94. Still has a 50 point limit. The "error" message is also inappropriate.

Cheers,
  14. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    FYI - "Who Posted"

Not sure people realize this but there's a way to see all the posts anyone has made in the threads on this and many other forums...

You can't be in the forums when you try this so if you go to the list of "Laying Down Tracks" threads here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37 then find the thread you want to check, look at the right end where you see the number of replies and click the number, and lo and behold, you'll see who made how many posts, and be able to go to any person's posts all in one screen by clicking their number.

So if you want to see all of DRTBYK's posts, you can do so!
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Fortunately for all of you, I'll be on the road soon and have fewer opportunities to hang out here. :norton

Cheers,
  16. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Yahooooo! I am number 3 and I have only been on this thread for a couple months. I know i asked a lot of questions in the beginning, but I hope i also post usefull information as well. :D
  17. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW....I never knew about that feature.....Thanks :thumb

That will make it so much easier to find posts when I'm looking for stuff.

Jon...
  18. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day trip to the Hill Country of Texas

I've been planning routes for weeks and finally done
    I've got a Day 1, Day 2 thru Day 4, converted the routes to tracks and named them as such.

I then click and drag them over to the memory card while I'm in Base Camp. They show to move and after I can then click on the Device and see the correct tracks on the memory card. You can click on them and see the track on BC map.

But after unplugging my device from the computer, one of the 4 tracks will disappeard completly from the card/device. I've tried this 6 or 8 times, I've renamed the tracks, I've deleated a bunch of old tracks. But everytime I load the missing track, it appears and another one disappears.

Whats going on???? I need all these tracks and leaving tomorrow.

Helppppppppppp!!!!!!!!
  19. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    No expert here, by any means, but instead of dragging and dropping routes/tracks etc., why not just select the appropriate List in Basecamp and then use the "Send List To Device" function to upload them to your Montana (or its microSD card)? Using that function, there will be boxes where you tick off what within that List you want to transfer, e.g., routes, tracks, waypoints etc. BTW, I'm using Basecamp for Mac.
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    How many Tracks do you have in the Track Manager on the Montana? Sounds like it's full (200). You don't have to delete tracks from the Track Manager just move the ones you don't want "active" to Archive.

If this same Track is the only one causing a problem, I would suggest looking to see how many track points it has. Can't be more than 10,000. But even then, that shouldn't cause it not to load.

Cheers,