Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Aaaaah much better today! 50-ish and sunny vs. 40-ish and sleeting on me.

I went sssllloooowww-ly. :nod The goal was to not break a sweat and I pretty well managed it. :thumb

M
  2. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Humidity? What's that?

Oh, wait, I'm kinda remembering, now. I'm also remembering that there is plenty of it in a New England summer.

Peak summertime temperatures in Boston are only about 10 degrees cooler than where I grew up in Florida. But wintertime highs are about 30 degrees cooler. There's just a greater seasonal variation in New England than in the southeast, and a dramatically greater variation than where I am in Cali these days.

But IMO, that variation isn't a bad thing. I mean, this is Adventure Rider, right? And the New England seasons are a bit of an adventure, and the contrast between the extremes makes both of them more interesting.
  3. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:
    Two gold medals/world champion rainbow jerseys :clap:clap:clap:clap

won both the individual pursuit and omnium at the track world championships

she was the only american riding there :huh
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that every year when I lived up North. :dunno
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    A SMIDSY got another one.

Be careful out there!

M
  6. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    stories like this are why i try NOT to ride main roads, especially when theres heavy traffic...i prefer back roads and bike paths for the paved riding...
  7. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    That's really no safer. I ride back roads and country lanes all the time and get hassled there too.

See 'dear bicycle riders' in JM if you doubt me. Had 2 people passing me into oncoming traffic yesterday. :bluduh ...and honked at and then smoked at by a diesel PU hauling a 'farm use' trailer. :baldy

...on a SUNDAY! WTF?!

M
  8. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont seem to have that issue on the back roads around here....
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the same thing.

Sundays it's the "blue hairs'" going to church who, for whatever reason, feel compelled to buzz me. I mean, WTF? I'm in the country, there's no oncoming traffic, and they have to pass a couple feet from me. I've had that a couple times, on the same road, just down the from a church.
  10. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Happens in the city, too.
  11. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Yup. I was out riding around town this weekend, riding with traffic down a 'back road' hill about 20mph, had a tinted Cavalier with a fart can exahust and gold rims turn into a driveway right in front of me, I could have kissed the trunk on the way by. Lady gets out, still texting with her 2" long fingernails, doesn't even look up. I resisted the urge to slice all four of her low pro tires and kick in her windows, but I knew my tax money would be buying a nicer set shortly thereafter. Instead, I let my adrenaline work for me, and I was flying for the next couple miles!

This is why I mtb, trees don't move (or text). At least when you're on a moto you have armor on and the option to throttle out.
  12. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Very short ride yesterday. Uphill into a 25kt headwind for 35-40min, then downhill and home with a tailwind for 15min. :lol3

I signed up for my first race. It's a non-sanctioned event that will crash the LA Marathon course at 4am when they start the road closures. Last year's winner was CA state champ John Gabriel. I won't be riding at that level, but it should be a blast anyway.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/23613093?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  13. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Man, thanks for sharing that! It looks like a hell of a good time! Hopefully you have good weather though, when you race it. I would love to try that someday!!:D
  14. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Old people are the very worst about not wanting to drift into the oncoming lane to make the pass. 1200 o'clock on a sunday, stand by for close passes by a bunch of Ford Crown Vic's and various Buicks.
  15. YakSpout

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Wet or dry, it'll be a little chilly. I'll run the GoPro for sure just to capture the insanity.
  16. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I did this yesterday. Wicked headwind as I was headed either west or south. Woof.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/activities/42166095/embed/b7b22002e450fc2be4af1004d3259ea54893b7d1'></iframe>
  17. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Awesome, that should make for quite a video!

I've ridden along that part of the 101, before you turn East to go to Napa. Pretty scenery, but damn, yeah, the winds...Well done!
  18. YakSpout

Oddometer:
    Nice!

The winds were pretty nuts yesterday. It's always so disheartening when you're cranking along and you can feel your HR spiking, but you look at the bike comp and you're doing 15mph. I was actually chanting "H-T-F-U" while I was huffing upwind. :rofl
  19. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    that's a lovely area; most of the rides that i still do moto-ham support for are in that area. but like an idiot, i was on the bicycle yesterday instead. into the wind,... :cry

one more reason i don't spoil a ride with a cyclometer anymore,... dang things never seem to be able to sense the wind, and the work i'm actually doing,... :lol3
  20. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    When it gets really windy out, I find myself riding my MTB for some reason. :D At 6'4", I'm more sail than aero. Gimme a nice, long climb over a headwind any day.