A Fist Full of Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by swamp, Mar 5, 2011.

1. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, great report.

Early on i was going to ask if you wished for one of the bigger bikes. Then I read your bike bike home was a 225.
    So how'd you like the extra beans of the big 250?

I rented a XT 600 from Wild Rider a few years ago.I didn't get into the deep shit as much as you. I only had 5 days.

I remember getting gas once and the young attendant looking at the bike trying to figure out what it was.
    In my best pidgen Spanish I pointed and said "sei ciento". No reaction . Then I said that's right isn't it ciento means hundred?
    Then the penny dropped, he said "Six Hundred, six hundred!" and went to get the other guys.

The other cool memory was on the Nicoya Penninsula heading north. I rode past some houses and up a hill and the track got thinner. I kept going til I was in a pasture.
    I turned around and back down the hill , an old man was crossing the road from getting his mail.
    I shut it down and asked which way to San Francisco.
    He came up and got right up in my face, he had coke bottle glasses on and couldn't see well at all.
    He looked at me and said "It's a gringo! and put his arm around my shoulders and said "Hello gringo"
    Good moment.
  2. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:

Honestly, i wish that i had my xt225 with me down there. if i would have had
    "El Chupacabra" with me i would have hit some extremely difficult stuff. there are foot paths/horse trails that go deep into the jungle, through the mountains. the stock Tornado is not the bike for that shit: too heavy, geared completely wrong, small gas tank, all the safety switches (which were beginning to malfunction towards the end of the ride) etc. .. a built xt225=small displacement , bombproof, kick starter + electric start and light weight with a large gas tank. would be the perfect bike to get into some serious jungle madness down there. ... if you weigh around 155 pounds :D

however the Tornado is a cool bike (air cooled with an oil cooler) and i enjoyed riding a bike that is not available here in the states. it was badly emissions restricted and i didnt like that the gas tank was so small.. however this did make me stop more often to interact with more people. The Tornado grew on me. i hated saying goodbye to the little whore :lol3

i chose the Tornado over all the other bikes that were available
    (including the KTMs.. i wanted to complete my trip...). It really was the best choice for what i wanted to accomplish in costa rica
  3. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    ok everyone .
    the Costa Rica DVD is finally ready.
    its about 1 hour and 20min long.
    and is done in the same tripped out style as the "a fist full of baja" DVD.
    im selling it for $12 (paypal)

i also have a GPS track/waypoint CD. $10
    the tracks cover volcano single track, difficult double track, horse trails, dirt roads, water crossings etc. around the entire country.
    waypoints for the good places to camp, visit and avoid.

probably the most comprehensive set of "difficult terrain" tracks that you will find for Costa Rica.

Send me an e-mail / personal message
    if you would like either or both of them

all proceeds will go towards buying more motorcycle stuff.. and beer..and maybe some weed.

keep in weird.

-swamp

4. MARTYJK

MARTYJK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Effin great ride report, love the pics, love the style, great stuff !!,
    I'm a fan, If you ever get over to Oz for a ride PM me and I'll sort you out a decent smoke for your travels..

:clap:clap:clap
  5. mill

mill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I managed to sit my fat ass down behind the puter and read this report! You know the deal EO!!1

WHIMSICAL............

Now to start on the next read :wink:
  6. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    :bow:bowWe're not worthy! We're not worthy!

:bow:bowWe're scum!

:bow:bowWe suck!

That "bridge" video from Turrialba scared the :topes out of me from the comfort and saftey of my desk. Literally felt the blood pressure rise and the beginings of a panic attack. F*ck me!

+1; like your style. If ever in the area, drop a line.
  7. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    im going to take you up on that invite ! :freaky
  8. blues bob

blues bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, oh my god!! Watching you mount your bike over that chasm on a 2 foot wide tree bridge, almost made me puck. Swamp, you got the biggest bravest balls out there. I can't believe that ittle 250 carried you around. That crossing made the Vitum Bridge on the Road of Bones look like a highway.

Thanks for this excellant RR
  9. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    believe me, when i mounted the bike from that log thrown across the chasm my ass puckered up so tight you couldnt have hammered a nail into it with a sledge hammer.
  10. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    :clap
  11. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    Never trust directions from a local, we have gotten alot of laughs from this. Maybe they've never left their area? I think I know more of Costa Rica than alot of ticos now.
    What was in the box? a moto fridge? Classic. I'm sure you saw the whole family on a bike with their weeks worth of shopping too....
    I know this spot with the palms, just up the carretera from my place! Good trails close by, have to cable the bikes across the Sierpe. They grow those for palm oil, you smelt the factories....
    I'll send you some colones for a dvd, I don't do gps but have some questions about the Bibri route.....:evil