puregas.org listings in question

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Steve G., Jun 15, 2013.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found out yesterday that 2 gas stations with regular ethanol free fuel no longer have it. This in Watcom county in Washington. Gotta be carefull not to trust the list.
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Sounds like this is important to some of the folks here, but in the areas where I've lived for the past 20+ years 10% ethanol has been all that is commonly sold and all that I've used. I have never sought out non-ethanol gas and as the saying goes "nothing has happened". Not that I want ethanol in my gas, on an overall economic & policy level I think it is a poor idea. But living with it has not been any crisis at all.

This is for cars, motorcycles both 2-stroke & 4-stroke, chain saws, mowers, brushmowers, snow blowers, generators, hedge trimmer, whatever. (I do not, however, have a boat.) Ethanol in fuel is not a good thing but it hasn't been bad either. I'm not at all surprised that the list of non-ethanol stations is getting smaller. It's a vicious circle as more stations abandon it and the remaining stations lose economies of scale in the distribution to them. It's a competitive business, and fewer and fewer people give a shit as the automotive fleet turns over and nearly every car on the road is made for ethanol in the fuel. The demand declines more, and the regulatory environment tightens more, every year.
  3. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    And there is a chain of stations near me that is not listed but all their gas is ethanol free. I know family that owns the chain and they said retail fuel is pure gas, stuff they deliver commercial and to farms, contains ethanol. They don't bother advertising that fact because it has always been that way and if they do advertise and then somehow have a tank mix-up, they said more hassles than it is worth.
  4. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Puregas is a user-supported list. It depends on user reports for updates and corrections. If yo ufind a gas station listed that no longer sells ono-ethanol, you can have that erroneous listing changed.

--Bill
  5. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

That's right, even if you didn't post a station, you can comment on it or delete it.
  6. txwanderer

txwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even at that I see a lot of "Top Tier" stations in there. By their own definition that means they have ethanol in their gas, advertised or not.
    That throws a mix into the mud.

Cheers
  7. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    WTF does that mean?
    Most states require stations to disclose if there is ethanol in their gas. Why does a "Top Tier" station by definition have ethanol in it's gas?
    I think you have been sniffing gas...
  8. txwanderer

txwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Instead of making lame accusations, why don't you use your time for something constructive.

Since you seem challenged I'll hold your hand this time.

http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

Pay special attention to section 1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. It will answer your question.

Yes MOST states are SUPPOSED to have the disclaimer, not all do have it or require it. Maybe you should get out more.

The answer to others is GOOGLE, Bing, ASK.com or what ever you choose.

Cheers
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even Top Tier stations are allowed to sell non-e10 gas for boats and equipment. :D
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not going to kill your bike to run a tank of E-10 through it. :deal
  11. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    WTF is google?
    If getting out more means going to Texas, I think I will respectfully decline. As my grandpa said I would rather slam my balls in a drawer than go to Texas.
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you've done it. You picked a fight with:

[​IMG]

:lol3
  13. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

It won't hurt my 1200GS. It's proven to fuck up certain nylon fuel tanks, like the one on the V11 Sport Moto Guzzi I sold. The Norton and Laverda carbs are not impressed either.
  14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    They've never been right about this region, and have never corrected or updated it. From what I've observed, it's a static list of stations from many years ago.
  15. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again- it's user supported. If you know the list is in error, report it.

1911fan
  16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to be fake user support, as the mistakes have been reported for years by many people, and it's never been fixed.
  17. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, because the list in my area changed within days after the local Cenex quit selling non-E. I know I reported it, dunno who else did.

1911fan
  18. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've put comments and had things change within hours...

not sure what you're doing wrong if you are reporting it and it's not changing.
  19. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I don't obsess over ethanol. I just prefer to not run it in the bike. Once or twice a year I'll print the List for for stations the part of the State that I frequent and if I find a station that is mislabeled, I'll mark it off and try to remember to go online. No big deal. It beats the heck out of trying to remember which stations in Boaz sell the good gas, especially when you're puttering thru town on Reserve...

--Bill
  20. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    I have a gas station right around the corner from me that is ethanol free.
    So i try and keep a few gas cans full in the shed and fill the bike up from those.
    (ktm 450, I'm already doing an oil change, why not fill the gas at home.....)

lawn equipment and my old boat was where I had the biggest issues with ethanol. If I got ethanol gas for the boat, and did NOT put ethanol treatment in it, or burn through the entire tank that day, I'd have serious issues next time out. (hard starting, ran like crap, etc etc)