F650GS lowering kit--exists?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zigyphoto, Aug 19, 2002.

1. zigyphoto

zigyphoto PAY ATTENTION Supporter

Oddometer:
    it seems that there are some rumours that BMW is now / or will be offering a lowering kit for the 2001-02-03 F650GS (which can be ordered lowered from bmw at no extra cost) similar to that for the original F650 series.

has anyone heard anything substantial/real and verifiable?

would be great if this were true, so we could get Elaine (the hi-whiz wearing, 5'1" redhead i am married to, and who was the subject of some discussion because she rides) a used F650Gs and lower it instead of paying full new price for one.

as usual, my dealer seems to have no REAL idea....

anyone actually know something (about this)?

thanks,

zigy
  2. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    I have a friend in CO who bought an '02 model that was factory-lowered. F650GSLA or something like that. I don't know if the parts are available separately, but I imagine they are if you find a parts guy interested in looking them up.

Jon
  3. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    right; you can order it factory lowered, but there seems to be some confusion--dealer initiated--about whether bmw will actually offer a separate lowering kit as they do for the older carburated F650 models.

z
  4. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    mike, thanks. am aware of the kit, and spoke with a dealer at the bmwra rally in Red River this weekend; he's checking on the other handling issues that the kit might create...

z
  5. hk_rider

hk_rider Urban Adventurer

Oddometer:
    go to the messageboard at www.f650.com and do a search. i believe there is a lowering kit from the factory that consists of a lower seat and a different link for the rear suspension.
  6. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    all, thanks for your thoughts, but yes, there IS a lowering kit from bmw, but it is for the OLDER F650 models, NOT the new 2001-02-03. the F650GS comes factory lowered.

the question was: does anyone know anything about bmw producing a lowering kit for those recent models,the F650GS?

z
  7. zigyphoto

Oddometer:
    \

mike, thanks.

again, looking for info on the about to be released (?) kit for the NEW series F650GS (2001-02-03). some whispers about it, but nothing definite.

trying to save some money by getting a standard and lowering it as we did with the older F650

z
  8. tommyvdv

tommyvdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know lowering kits exist.
    But can one make the f650 gs higher?

I suspect the same dogbone solution also works for making the bike higher. A larger tire would probably help highering the front. How high can one go with this bike? Without compromising the ride.
  9. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used 1" Kuba links on my '01 F650GS and slid the forks up, shortened the center stand a bought a short sidestand.

:freaky