Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    I ran about 100 miles of the TetS and the Twvt connector Sunday. I need a few days to clean up the logs. Ride Report started here, it is a fantastic ride.
  2. TreeManG23

TreeManG23 TreeMan Racing

Oddometer:
    Here is a DS route I worked up across North Florida

Attached Files:

3. TreeManG23

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

4. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    This is as same as above but continues to Ft Payne, AL

Attached Files:

5. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    Here is my West Alabama DS route

Attached Files:

6. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    I am currently working on continuing south from my north FL DS route. I will post is when it is ready.

I apologize for taking so long to find this thread. I have been working on these for at least a couple of years.
  7. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Please, don't apologize. You made my day. I know how I'm riding next time I go to Florida. My route was fun (I posted it a page or two earlier), but yours is new to me. I'll ride yours south and mine back north.
  8. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    Most of this one has been tested numerous times

Attached Files:

9. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    I'm subscribed now :D
  10. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    This is what I have so far going south

Attached Files:

11. intothenew

Oddometer:

+1 on craftycoder's comment, don't apologize. Keep throwing sand this way. :lol3
  12. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    I just reread the grading scale thing. The routes that I posted are not graded. I will work on that :wink:
  13. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    I have some friends in central & south FL that are helping with going south

Here is one that goes up to Enterprise, AL

Attached Files:

14. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    I am also waiting on some ideas on going west from Pensacola from some friends over that way
  15. intothenew

Oddometer:
    TetS link and screen shot added to the list. I am adding the connector and another little diddy to the Twvt this morning.
  16. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Tpat link and screen shot added to the list.
  17. Gooch

Gooch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just getting into GPS work, having relied on a friend for the navigation to date. I'd love to at least be able to dirt-ride through to pick up the TAT from Maine.

Subscribed, and will add when I become capable.
  18. intothenew

Oddometer:
    O yea, it's still alive. The "ground" work goes on during the riding season, so not much chatter.

We talk about it and do the "digital" work when Old Man Winter visits, which is oh too soon.

I think your wish from Maine to Jellico has been granted, there is just some clean up work to do on the files.
  19. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Belly-up to the bar boys and girls, drinks are on the house. This has been a wonderful year on many notes, this Tet project being one of the most fulfilling for me. It has become HUGE, with an incredible amount of participation. I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you that have participated, in both large and small ways. EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS. So here is a toast, to all of you, for a damn good year in 2010.

But, guess what? The next drink ain't free. You can buy in to participating in the 2011 version overhaul. I'll keep pouring the drinks as long as you keep talking. So let me have it. Good, bad, or ugly, I don't really care. Just try to talk plane. If you start slurring, we're gonna set you in front of the big screen so you can at least watch football while we ignore you.

First, a confessional. Rob, Scott, Bill, I owe you guys an apology. There is an incredible amount of work, both on the ground and digital, that each of you have done that has not made the formal release yet. For that I am sorry. I have an addiction and am here to confess. I ride, I ride a lot. But now, I'm bar tending. I'm bar tending at least until the next reasonably bearable series of days comes, which is getting very unlikely in the near future on the home front. Old man winter just kicks my ass any more.

File consolidation, say it fast and it sounds easy.

Number of total way points? POI Loader?

Number of Tracks? Number of Routes?

Do we break it into “days”? What is a day?

Where does it start and end? North to South or vice versa? Or do all roads lead to Jellico?

Allowance for the Keys? That is aimed square at you Sand Fleas.

Way point naming conventions?

Who's in? TetS, ST from the Twvt, TetNJ, and the Black Hole are in the bag, I think. TPAT, TMT, PDR, C2C, and the UBDR I feel I must ask for permission. RidAv, we need a connector, or do we? That's one hell of a file to handle if all are consolidated. Too much in my opinion.

Enough of my blabber, let me pour you another one. Talk to me. I think I'll pour myself one.
  20. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    First off, I want to say thanks for all your hard work you put into this along with everyone else that contributed along the way. Projects like this couldn't have come together as fast as they have without everyone's help. :freaky

If I have this right, I think the original TET started as a way to connect different parts of the East Coast to the TAT in Tellico? I've ran the TAT from TN to OK, and it was fun, but I think the TET and the spurs off of it have the potential to develop into so much more. Personally for me, I'd like to see the tet & the other routes that have developed to keep emerging & changing until they have become a dual sport haven package of their own. It doesn't necessarily have to be a gateway to the TAT but rather its own destination of riding that others from all over come to enjoy. Sure, I look forward to some day continuing our TAT ride out into the West Coast were some majestic and awesome riding awaits, but living here in the SE, that's a big trip that take time and money to do that many of us working 9-5 jobs just can't pull off. The tet has made it possible for us living amongst it to get to enjoy just as full filling trips that are much easier to put together vs a 3-4 week across the US on the TAT.

When I think about everything that makes up the tet including the tetS that is closest to me, I want it to be an epic dual sport ride with as much off road as possible. I think I read where Northern Traveler in developing the tetS tried to include a mix of dirt and pavement so that you could still make it to like Jellico, TN in a reasonable amount of time, but I think I'd rather see it become more dirt oriented as much as possible so that it becomes a destination rather then just a "way to get somewhere".

I would like to see some continuation of adding varying loops and routes so that someone can take a part of this route and that route and make their own trip that hits the destinations they see fit. For example around the tetS, it traverses East AL before entering N. GA. There could be another spur of it that could travel down Western GA or maybe Eastern GA and people in the panhandle of FL or TN/NC could enjoy a nice loop that would take them down and backup or vice versa.

Sure around the big cities, the concrete jungle has taken over, but there's plenty of dirt still out there to be accessed and brought into work at hand!

As for files and what you include on what? There's one side that says it sure would be nice just to have 1 big master file to keep up with that is sent out and updated periodically. That way anyone can plan their trip around any portion of the vast scheme of things that have developed?

On the other hand, varying files between the different routes keeps things a bit simpler and easier to manage on the smaller level, but I think as things grow, this could prove to be even a larger hassle?

So what are you saying here? Are you looking to start charging for getting the updated files? I realize there is a lot of behind the scenes work that goes on keeping something like this updated, especially in this current stage where it developed and grew through 2010.

I personally like that the tet and the other routes have been free up to this point. I would really like it to stay that way since this is a project that so many different people have devoted their time and resources too, I'm not sure I agree if its right for 1 person or a small group of people to benefit from other people's work (if that's what you meant). Sorry if I got that wrong? If its man hours that need to be put in, I'm sure some people would be happy to volunteer to work it (myself included). Maybe come up with a "small team" that handles different portions of the routes and those updates are shared collectively and put into 1 master file? The great thing about something like this is there are plenty of people willing to invest their time and energy into something like this which you yourself have proven very much. I know at some point, it probably becomes almost a burden, but there are others that would probably very willingly step into that roll if needed? I'm very familiar with MapSource and other programs and definitely put in some time of my own consolidating or cleaning up tracks, routes, etc to make it more user friendly as updates occur.

Coming from a QA background and software testing, I think something for 2011 might be planning specific updates and version updates on a schedule. This will help keep updates from getting out of hand or getting the best of you, (or whoever handles the final say in the map versions). Maybe plan quarterly updates so that there's only 4 major updates a year and maybe minor fixes as needed?

Just some ideas I have.

As I said, I'm willing to help anyway I can, especially with some of the tedious stuff that makes up the vast majority of the map updates.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.