The most boring bike you've ever ridden

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ph0rk, Dec 27, 2012.

1. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    A set of Dale Walker Holeshot slip-ons and a Teka box tune and it totally woke my DL1K up.
    Still had shitty brakes and rode way too soft but it sounded good and was fun to ride.

Most boring bike I ever rode was... well... I don't know. I kinda like everything I've owned even if it didn't suit me very well.
    I'd say the most boring bikes I've had were the ones with limited range due to tank size. I don't really care to ride much in the cities and if I need to fuel up all the time it takes the fun out of it for me.
  2. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Ducati. MV Agusta. Triumph.

Yup, I rode the XB9 and had the exact same reaction. I PROMISE that the XB12 isn't even close to similar: 2nd gear exit wheelies are just a throttle-whack away.
    CCitis likes this.
  3. elementalg20

elementalg20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an early 80's kaw 250ltd I was bored to tears with. It was my first street bike and I should have loved every minute of it, and part of me did. The other part was afraid I'd get passed by a hopped up moped, not entirely sure it ran as it should of but it started/idled/rev'd ok.....just ungodly slow 40-45mph topped out. The vfr750 was a great improvement, even if it was a honda(no issue personally, but honda is getting dinged in this thread and others lol).
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:

My first brand new streetbike was an '81 Suzuki 450LTD, and I loved it. Rode it full throttle most of the time. And that was coming from a Suzuki GT380 2 stroke. I loved it too. My '95 Goldwing is basically a transportation appliance, some even call them 2 wheeled cars, and they are not that far off. But it has taken me and a ton of stuff all over the country in comfort. I guess the bike itself could be considered boring alright, but to me, traveling is not. And the Goldwing was designed from the ground up for traveling. But I still like bikes that vibrate and make a nice noise, they can be a lot of fun just riding around town. A KLR might seem boring, but a trip from AK to the tip of South America on one sure wouldn't be.
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's one saving grace, believe it or not, it handles logging and forest service with an ease and grace few street bikes can match. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise as the layout and geometry of classic cruisers are from an era when most roads were dirt.
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying I never had fun on the bike, quite the contrary, I brought my own fun with me. However it was still a boring bike! It was bland and uninspiring. If there was a row of bikes available, I'd choose another.

Couldn't fault, or the bike just didn't have that extra something, pizzazz, mojo, whatever. When the ZX9R was released, I spoke to a lot of riders and almost all of them had got rid of their Fireblade because it was boring, but the ZX9R with Kawasaki's signature seductive intake noise and raw top end rush really rang their bell.

Totally agree. I've said that many times, expressed as "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow." Some people don't get it though.

<Cough> KTM.
  7. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    For me it is a twofer'. First is the BMW GS1200A. It bored me for all of the very reasons that it is a fantastic bike. :lol3 It seems to do everything exactly as one would expect for a world touring bike. Unfortunately for me I seem to not like that very much.

The second bike is the new Bonneville. It seems very much like a pedestrian conveyance wrapped in what appears to be a soulful bike. I very much wanted to love it but came away disappointed. It was like having sex with a hot girl you've been lusting after only to find out that she was lousy in bed. Strangely enough the Scrambler was very fun and had a dynamic personality. How did Triumph pull that off ? :huh

One thing that I do have to mention is that even on the two bikes mentioned above I was still able to enjoy the ride. I may have been bored by the bikes but riding will never bore me. :deal
    matbaugh likes this.
  8. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    For me, it was a Kawasaki KZ400.
    It was slow, heavy, and was beaten all the way around by a Suzuki GS250, lol.
    It was reliable though, but sporty was not in its vocabulary.
    I really missed my Yamaha RD350 when I rode that thing.
  9. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not nearly that simple. Folks are different and break things down differently, depending on their wants, past experience, abilities, opinions, etc. That's what makes this threat interesting, I think. I've ridden a lot of bikes for a lot of miles and I love Honda for their refinement and engineering prowess, which most people think is boring (At least most "enthusiasts."). "Character" in a bike is usually a bad thing for me, as it means some sort of raw, unfinished, poorly designed/executed, whatever-type failure. You also have to figure on a "Theory of Relativity" scale. Yes, any bike can be fun and (at least) more exciting than it's intended purpose but there's still relatively boring bikes out there.

All good fun. Keep 'em coming. I love compare and contrast. Good stuff.
    Alexander B and Phipsd like this.
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    one of those stupid overweight overhyped beemer singles called dakar or something, couldnt get out of its own way
  11. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Of all the bikes I have owned or spent time riding, there are two bikes that stand out as completely boring. The Versys and the Wee-Strom. I know they are budget bikes but if that was all I could afford, I would gladly get an extra job to pay for one of the many great bikes that are available.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Character" shouldn't be measured by flaws.
    Bikes are my preferred and only form of transportation, and my preferred form of recreation, so I desire "character" and function.

For example,

The Harleys I had just didn't do it for me because of their weight, handling and ergonomics. They weren't flaws per say but just didn't suit most of my needs and desires, Their one outstanding "character"? The seemingly endless torque that they delivered in such an effortless, relaxed manner.
    My V-Star 650 Classic is a much better bike in every way for my needs and desires except it lacks that one defining "character". Because of that it made a wonderful commuter, but I havent been "inspired" to ride it in 5 years.

On the Other hand, I had a Ducati E900 Elephant, another bike that had "character" because of how it delivered its power. It made it a wonderful bike on the open road, but that "character" came with a flaw. It snatched and jerked at low rpm's making it terrible in traffic, and even worse off road which is a serious flaw in an adventure bike.

The Ducati, a bike with "character" that was also a flaw. Exciting but not suitable for my needs, not "boring", just not right for me.

The V-Star, a bike with no "character", It does everything well and has no flaws when used as intended, but is the definition of "boring". Noting outstanding or unique about it to make it interesting. Dependable transportation, thats it.

The Harleys, Plenty of character, and again no flaws when used as intended. "Boring" because while they worked well for basic transportation needs, they didn't work well for most of my other desires and that made me unable to enjoy their positive "character".

My Ural Patrol and the RZ350 I had, bikes with tons of "character" that also have a flaw, the Urals low speed/power, the RZs need to carry 2 stroke oil. Yet both filled all my needs and desires, and have plenty of positive "character' to keep them engaging, never "boring". Not perfect, but very practical in the real world, interesting and unique.
    Alexander B likes this.
  13. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Sorry, forgot...and I have three of them. :rofl</cough>
  14. Reddane

Reddane Circling pi

Oddometer:
    R1200R, kinda boring.
  15. Scratch33

Scratch33 you're going to feel a little pressure

Oddometer:
    Honda Shadow ACE Tourer.
  16. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    R1150GS...boring exhaust note...boring power delivery...boring brakes...boring paint...boring in its lack of break downs or other drama...just a boring motorcycle all together. Absolutely perfect for covering huge distances, varied terrain, inclement weather, etc.. I think they designed it to be boring. Really nice bike, but I sure would have appreciated a more exciting exhaust note or the occasional power wheelie just to keep things interesting. I guess I'm just impossible to please. I'm riding the only slightly less boring R1200GSA now.

Incidentally...a heavily modded CR500R is the least boring bike I've ever owned...pure 2 wheeled hatred and anger...it tried desperately to kill me on very outing...horrifying nightmare of a bike...never boring though...it was more scary and exciting at idle than the GS at full speed.
  17. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed and that's why I put "character" in quotes. That's what a lot of folks refer to character as: some (IMO) crap that doesn't work right, was poorly engineered, is unreliable, etc.. That's cool for them, but not for me. If we're breaking down bikes, I currently have my 93rd through 97th in the garage. I've had my fair share of experience over the last 30 years and a half a million'ish miles, on and off-road. Great stuff. As I say, I love to compare and contrast. Interesting to see how other folks take things.
  18. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Great thread.
    Many have named bikes as boring, then went on to complain about brakes, seats, performance etc.
    To me "boring" means "no challenge", no "excitement", etc.
    I had an Ariel Square Four....couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! Awful brakes. Made me walk home......usually. Boring? Nope.
    My present ride will top 230 kph. Brakes are very good. Handling, just fine. Always gets me where I'm going. Always starts. Never needs anything but fuel and oil. This is "boring" to me. A Bandit. Begs the question. I "boring" necessarily a bad thing....?
    Lyle
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not surprising, but kind of disappointing how many equate less speed or power to "boring".

I have found that the most interesting, entertaining, and engaging bikes I have owned or ridden were not performance orientated, even what would be considered "underpowered" by many.

I like to joke that on my Ural, 0 to 60 is timed with a calender not a stopwatch, and needs to be done in a zip code not a 1/4 mile.
    Sometimes I do wish it had more power, but overall it is a minor consideration as 95% of my daily and recreational riding is well within it's limitations.
  20. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
    My DL1000 VStrom is appliance-like, but not particularly boring on Kentucky's secondary and rural roads. When I'm trapped into riding on flat, smooth and straight roads with my Harley-owning friends - then the boredom is mind-numbing.