Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    Modrover.....were you able to test the clearview windscreen with the nylon spacers yet? Curious to know if it straightens out the air flow on that swept back screen design. Did it make any difference if you put some weather strip in on the sides? I've been too busy to mess with my 'alp this week.
  2. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Nope. I haven't really had the time to ride it with the spacers yet. I will for sure inform you, in this Thread, when I do. :nod

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TransAlp
    Van., WA USA
  3. Raidrallyrider

Raidrallyrider I am bored

Oddometer:
    This is a TA belongs to a friend. It IS a Transalp.

Attached Files:

4. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Your Mate there has one nice looking devil tape job! :evil

I'd do the same to mine if I was doing a mountain pass exploration or something. Remove all the fairing stuff... then you won't break it AND it's a lot lighter. :thumb

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  5. transalper

transalper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could add a XL600R light, instruments, and spoiler to the TA and make it look like the XLV750. I've seen that done before somewhere . . .
  6. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Hey! Yes, I'm in the process of trying to find a nice low mile excellent shape TransAlp. I plan to keep it that way after buying it! :D
    The TransAlp I have now... I want to put on a diet and modify it a bit. Nothing that can't be put back to stock. I will for sure be removing all the fairing parts and side panels. I will be putting on a smaller headlight assembly and such. Hopefully, I can reduce the weight up top and get it lower on the bike. Then, a bit more aggressive tires... maybe some better sus. springs... hmm... yes, this will be fun! :thumb
    I just don't want to start doing this until I have another TransAlp to use daily for commuting and the like. :nod

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA
    Van., WA USA
  7. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    some nice TA here, mines a bit flogged compaed to your bikes, i bought it ( cheap !!) last fall, working on getting it up to spec, fork springs, bearings, CDI's, ohlins rear shock

Anyone hang some bigger forks on theirs? I have heard XR650 fit fairly easily, I have 2 sets and may do the swap, they will need to be lowered natch', I have some USD forks, Showa that I might try to graft on also, it would reduce turnign radius with the USD, I have some ohlins USD but those might go on something else (hmmm DL650....)

anyone lengthen the rear suspension? how would a 1" longer shock work ?
    check this out
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanzw/jpg/dave01.htm
    note the 650V engine

anyone know Dave?
    this was pinched from the same web site, about the above bike, is this trick or what ? CR frame .....
    SA
    red
    Â*
    See below

Â*
    Â*
    It is great to find so many Transalp enthusiasts on the web. As you know not as many TAs in the USA... 89 & 90 only... XLV-750Rs and African Twins are grey market only.
    I have a 1989 Transalp which is White and one of the first in the USA. It has approx. 7K miles and has been modified with a fabricated carbonfiber exhaust, de-smogged, re-jetted, K&N air filter, BMW luggage racks, Enduro 4 Tires, dyno-tuned, etc... I recently purchased a 1990 Transalp with 12K miles ( I always wanted a red one. It is stock for now. I bought it to install my spare NT-650 engine in it but the original equipment is still so good that I'm hesitant to molest it. So I think I'll look for a thrasher to build up.
    I mostly ride in the coastal mountians of Northern California where I live. We ride year round here and dual sport alot using XR-600Rs made street legal. A group of us ride on every Tuesday night in the Santa Cruz Mountians near Los Gatos, CA. Lots of fun.
    We are allowed to modify our bikes here. I would like to build up a TA with a African Twin 750 engine or equal. Is anyone already doing this?
    Harry a friend of mine and expert craftsman recently completed a TA with a 700cc NT-650 built to TWO BROS. specs. He says it bolted right in. he also lowered it and installed CBR wheels and sport bike rear body treatment. This bike was on the road before the new VTR and is very trick.
    I also own and ride a Hybrid Dualsport bike built by Harry for himself in the early 90s as a desert racer. It has a NT-650 Twin also built as a 700cc special, mounted in a custom fabricated frame using CR-500 suspension componetry. I have riden this bike for the past three years and it thrills me every time.
    (photo attached) I would enjoy e-mailing with anyone who has similar intrests or has experience and knowledge of AT & TA modifications and engine swaps.

:1drink
  8. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    image went to the bottom of description, I want this Bike!!
    I would guess weight maybe under 400lb, maybe less
  9. transalper

transalper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That IS an awesome bike. Not really a TA any more, but a very cool set up.

Now I feel like the simple little mods I've been posting are pretty boring.

Oh well, here's another one.

Protect that rear shock with a mudflap extension!

Attached Files:

10. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

11. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the headlight treatment

Attached Files:

12. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Yes. I've seen that TA motor in a CR frame bike before. Very very cool! :thumb

As for that other "thing"... hmm... I believe I've seen that in the original Mad Max movie! :lol3 Oh man, what a project bike! :lol3

Still... it's cool to me in that F'd up kind of way... I'm not sure what it's saying, but I wouldn't get in it's way! :eek1

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TransAlp (and looking for another TransAlp)
    Van., WA USA
  13. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    WPBarlow, for a second I thought that was a Buell muffler but its too small :wink:

ya just need to add a shotgun or small missle launcher, cool bike!! :1drink
  14. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Not really a mod at all, but still an important part to keep properly cared for. I was forced to replace mine. I found there to be a small bur in the metal speedo housing that really caused the problem... the plastic gear is the weakest link so it goes first! :nod

The typical speedo gear problem. :eek1

Regards,
    Michael
    '89 TA (and looking for another TA)
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

15. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    And this is the replacement. Nice and new right from Honda! :thumb

Be sure to use white lithium grease of this... it doesn't react with the plastic like most other grease.

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

16. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    it's ride time! I mean, that's the best part of seeing if your fix actually worked! :lol3

Funny thing... one more step back and it's a 30 foot drop down to the stream! :eek1

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

17. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    It's nothing to ride, but it's a wonderful thing indeed! :thumb

It's really called the Transalp. Made by CamelBak. Man, that co. has come a long way since offering just the little bladders with straws. :lol3

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

18. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Check this Mad Max TA out... this rig's got more room for that machine gun. :eek1

Regards,
    Michael
    Van., WA USA

Attached Files:

19. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    10-4 on the speedo gear , mine needs replacing too

say motupaiki do you have a overheat problem with your aircooled xr? I have heard the back cylinder can over heat. that is a great bike, if ya ever want to sell it post it here on Advrider, maybe I could sneak it back in luggage :evil

Modrover sounds like you are looking for the same type TA as me, keep the stocker and get another hard core version. I would like to find out more how Dave bertrams was put together ( i posted photo earlier) I do not know him, just found the photo, caption says its a CR 500 frame mod., with all the chopper builders around you would think it would be possible to find someone to do the mod , weather it would be in reason is another matter. hhhhhmmmm, a Water cooled bike that has rad's in place.

could be a fun winter project
  20. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    check the forward muffler on the hack.......