rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Hey - it's me! Was commuting home from work on a Saturday. Ummm... fail... jeans? sportbike gear on a dualsport? Making an Elefant look like a small bike? Wearing backpack too low? Damn. :shog

[​IMG]
    _D3X0507 by RockStorePhotos.com, on Flickr
  2. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the road is slick right there, but the real problem is it goes neutral camber right at that spot :) Hard to see, but when you ride it you can see it... That is the #1 crashing spot on that road pretty much...
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    yeah, it is pretty flat.

strangely, I never hear of anyone wadding into the overhanging rock.
  4. Mista Bob

Mista Bob ^The other one

Oddometer:
    All these people moaning about how the photographers are a distraction should quit riding right here and now.

There are always distractions when riding on the street that are out of your control.
    If you can't handle not acting like a dolt at some tiny distraction you really don't belong on the road.

Hell even on the racetrack there is going to be distractions. Like photographers, spectators and so on.

You crash "because of" a photographer? Guess who's fault it is. No one but your stupid self. The photographer doesn't make anyone crash, people make themselves crash.

You crash trying to show off to a photographer? Also your own damn fault.
    Gotta love the "it's everyone else's fault, not mine" world we live in. :huh
  5. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    didn't there used to be a big bullseye on the huge boulder right on that curve? i used to ride there years ago and seem to remember that.
  6. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Pointing out that photogs are a distraction is not moaning. It is merely an acknowledgement of reality. And yes, it is still the rider's fault if they crash.

There's a post on ADV where somebody at a track day had the course photog tell them "If you want to see some great crash pics then look for me out on the course." or something to that effect.

But I will take your sage Internet advice and quit riding as of today.

NOT.
  7. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody is blaming Paul, reads-at-a-5th-grade-level guy. It's the overwhelming consensus, including from you, that the people showing off for the camera are crashing.

What's the big deal.

NEXT VIDEO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OykSRyPU1us" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    kvango likes this.
  8. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chill. Pill. :D
  9. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    This looks like the west coasts equivalent to the dragon. Carnage. After watching the out of control cars in the videos, I think I'll pass on riding the Mulholland. :lol3
  10. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    It's shorter and has less rhythm than dragon. Angeles Crest is where the real riders go, but Mulholland is a good place to ride for lunch at Rock Store.
  11. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah the bit of road in question is only about two miles long. It's mostly second gear stuff - not very fast. Angeles Crest is so dangerous I wont even go up there anymore. I personally know of at least three people that have been hit up there, one that have died.
    On that road I've been passed by delivery vans on blind corners - PLEASE stay away from that place. Motorcyclist magazine even publish my diatribe on it. It's an unbelievable road.... and a dammed shame
  12. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. There are many, interconnecting gloriously twisted roads up here in the Santa Monica mountains. Stunt, Decker, Latigo, Piuma, the rest of Mulholland, Topanga, etc, etc. That "little" stretch is famous because of the Rock Store and the celebs, and because it's been a "street race track" since the beginning of time (very tight, decreasing radius stuff with great views).

It's a zoo now on the weekends, but I found that this ebbs and flows over the years...
  13. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Well, yeah. There's more than Dragon around Dragon too.
  14. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    Just past the lookout, a few years back. 60 something idiot in his old ferrari challenges 20 something idiot in his 5.0 mustang to a duel. Carnage ensues...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had ridden through mere moments before this happened, remembered seeing the guys (idiots) parked at the lookout.
  15. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
  16. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Do you know if the rider survived?
  17. mneblett

mneblett Professional Lurker

Oddometer:
    Watch the slow-motion part from his entry into the scene -- four fingers firmly wrapped around the throttle, and rear wheel locked. Fingers never even reach for the front brake (in the still pic from when he's down, the bit that looks like a forefinger on the lever is the grip guard).

Classic noob error -- at that low speed he could have *easily* scrubbed off enough with the front brake and rolled into the turn -- instead, classic target fixation (look where he's looking through the entire clip) and failure to use the bike's controls/capability.
  18. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
  19. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    Yeah... what I said! :evil
  20. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Is it wrong that I want to stand at the "lookout" and throw beer bottles at the jerks crossing the center line barely in control?

Never actually do it ... but damn those are some idiots