A riding suit if money was no object..

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bastimentos, Jan 22, 2013.

1. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    But, the mesh Kevlar and the body armor don't absorb water. It's not like wearing leathers and having them get soaked. If I ride out of the rain, the Motoport suit dries out in minutes. If I arrive at my destination and it's still raining, the MP suit will be dripping some water as I go into wherever I'm going, but even then it dries out quickly. And I'm not sure it will be dripping any more water than my Roadcrafter would be, in the same conditions.

Bottom line for me: I thought the same as you, at first. I.e. I thought my Roadcrafter would be my choice for cold/wet and the MP for everything else. But, now that I've ended up riding with my MP in some cold/wet, I have decided that, for ME, even in cold/wet I prefer the MP mesh Kevlar with liners. It's simply more comfortable. And, after riding in my RC recently from SF to Roseville and back (220 miles, round trip) in one evening where the temps were low 50s, dropping to mid 40s, I actually think my MP mesh Kevlar with the liners in is just as warm as my RC.

And I'm not sure where the idea is coming from that a 1 pc suit is easier to deal with heated liner wiring. I find it a lot easier to run the wiring out between the jacket and pants of my 2 pc than it is to run it out the side pocket opening of my 1 pc RC.
  2. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Not sure why you'd bother. My MP liner will zip into my MP jacket and pants, but I never do it. To me, it's easier and more convenient to just put on the liner and then put on the jacket and pants. Once they're one, I'll take them off and put them back on as one unit, but they don't need to actually be zipped together for that.

So, if you were going to use a Darien for an external waterproof shell (which I don't think is a bad idea - if you remove the "armor" from the Darien first), I don't know why you'd care about zipping the mesh kevlar into it.
  3. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Being a gear geek who has owned BMW and Aerostitch gear, and who currently owns Motorport Kevlar Mesh and Klim Badlands Pro suits, I'll throw my two cents in here.

First, I have to say, I believe the Motoport gear has the highest level of protection. Haven't crashed in it, but it feels seriously protective. It does breathe very well too. But too well in my opinion.

I'm with Lost Rider and oz97tj, when it gets really hot and over long distances, mesh gear is too ventilated. You lose too much fluid and get easily dehydrated. At least I do. I much prefer to have vented gear, like the Rukka or Klim, and create my own "microclimate" within the gear. It's hot, but over 85 anything is hot. I'm actually selling my Motoport jacket for this reason.

I've never tried the Rukka gear, but I've ridden with Lost Rider a few times. :evil It's looks very well made. Very well. That said, I don't think they make gear that fits a Yeti, like myself. It's made for skinny dudes like Finn. :lol3

I agree with Lost Rider's impression that the early Klim gear was sort of poofy and oversized. That's actually one of the reasons I switched from the original Adventure Rallye jacket to the Badlands. (It was built that way as Klim originally intended the Adventure jacket to be worn over a pressure suit. The armor was somewhat of an afterthought.) The new Adventure Rallye 2, which I have on order, looks like it's going to be perfect. Waterproof with great ventilation and, finally, a slimmed down fit and larger d3o armor.

The the OP, I would strongly encourage you to consider the Rukka and Klim gear and see which fits you better. You couldn't go wrong with either. :thumb
  4. bastimentos

bastimentos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the considered feedback and opinions, all taken on board.

I think I've got it right (for my needs) in the AR2, but it's surely interesting to hear real world experiences from people about what works on the road (instead of on a spec sheet!)

Yeti - I would try them on for best fit, but they aren't out for a few months yet and the cut has changed drastically, larger armour etc, so I'm not sure it'd do any good. Just be taking a punt then that they have slimmed the cut down enough. I've been recommended a 34 tall pant and Large jacket for my 6'3 190lb slim frame, hoping it works out!

Not to de-rail my own thread but I am seriously considering adding a leatt neck brace to the suit (as it integrates so neatly in the AR2) - anyone have any thoughts about these to enhance a "IMWNO" suit?
  5. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised nobody has recommended this one:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_ztsPIoI65A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, thanks for everyone who has posted on this thread, very interesting stuff. For those of you with the Rukka or Klim suits how easy are the pants to get on and off when you have jeans on? Can you get them on and off over shoes? I was looking at both brands on Revzilla and saw no mention of zippers on the side of the pant legs. I am wearing the Motoport stretch kevlar and sometimes would really prefer something with built in waterproof/windproof instead of always needing an addional layer for this function. I had asked Wanye about why he didn't offer Gore-Tex as an option and it was a cost issue.
  7. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    They Klim pants are not designed as overpants. The leg zippers only go up to about the top of the calf so you can't really get them on or off over shoes/boots.

For commuting to work I use the Aerostich AD-1 pants. They're designed to go over your regular pants (full side zips) and they're waterproof. During the summer I use my Motorport Mesh kevlar over-pants.
  8. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    if one is only dealing with temp down to mid 40's ... I'd buy that.... but mid 40's is just getting started for cold/wet nasties.

all seasons means 110f to 20f for me, temp range that I typically would ride in. sorry but Motoport mesh kevlar is just not my choice at 20f.

not saying one cannot route wiring with any two piece suit... for me one piece RC is the least fussy with Gerbing jacket/pants/gloves with two zone controller.
  9. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd leave some money in my pocket and buy a two piece stitch suite. I love mine and though I haven't tried this Rukka stuff and I'm sure it good I just can't imagine how it could be that much better.
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Rukka Armas are definitely not meant to be used as overpants. Like you, I use my Motoport Ultra II for that. They're more like wearing a pair of jeans. Would you put your shoes on before your jeans?
  11. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    yeah my KLIM badlands pants are not overpants.. I can wear them over a couple of levels of high tech base layer.. but even my gerbings is hard to fit under it.. when it gets into the 30's and I need heated gear, or I need to wear pants under for my destination, I put on the Aerostich Dariens. If I was going on a months long trip though..I would wear the KLIM and just deal with the slightly tight feeling that comes with wearing the Gerbings under KLIM.
  12. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

I own and wear both, about 150,000 miles on both.

teens to 120 degrees.

winter and wet transitional season riding, stitch is it.
    And yes they easily layer over anything. Which makes it my favorite commuting as well as travel gear.

Yes, hot hot temps it is Darian for hydration control.

The Darian light Trousers however above 80 chaffe the living shite out of my legs

Hot summer riding where I know temps are 40 plus the entire trip, and I want to be badass in black, out comes the Rukka Air Power, jacket layers well but trousers do not.

Got a Vanson Leather Perf as well. it is a day ride show piece for the vintage bikes.

Tools!

This is so individual you will never find a true winner, except for the one that fits your needs, ya got to buy it to try it.
  13. luckygrownup

luckygrownup Been here awhile

Oddometer: