Northern VA Tag-o-rama!

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by zcooney, Apr 4, 2009.

1. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ali was under the mulch, marked by the rock; NE quadrant of the westernmost signpost standard:

[​IMG]

If Ali's been gator-napped, FBI spy Hanssen and his handlers could never have pulled off a dead-drop on this guy!

I expect a grab image, and an intriguing tag picture!
  2. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I'm going mountain biking there tomorrow a.m. I can check if nobody lays claim to the grab. I won't be on my motorcycle, so it will be recon only.
  4. mow0709

mow0709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ali has been extricated!! Sitting on the box waiting for next destination.

[​IMG]

Fountain Head Regional Park....great mountain bike trails back in them woods!
  5. mow0709

mow0709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I ask "Ali where should we head off too?"

Ali replies with the typical smile "Another park somewhere west of these parts. I've enjoyed my stay but would like something a little more quite."

I reply "Hmm, let me think about that for a moment. I've got it! A place of historical significance, westward bound and quite for the most part."

After errand after errand and a number of miles south and west we have reached this quite little park next to a cow pasture well west of the last location.

[​IMG]

"Ali is this kinda what you were looking for? I'm sure that this is a dupe but who cares great spot and was the birthplace of our country's longest serving Chief of Justice."

Ali replies "This site will do just fine. The aroma of the cow pasture in the field near by is a bit foul but hopefully someone will come save me soon!"

Ali atop of the helmet at new location:

[​IMG]

X marks the spot where Ali is hiding out:

[​IMG]

Now you see 'em

[​IMG]

Now you don't (kinda tail is still showing)

[​IMG]
  6. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
  7. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    :y0!

Very nice. . .. :thumb
  8. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talley ho, too. But chained . . . . :cry
  9. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Me too. . .. :bash
  10. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pleasure to meet you Mr. Ali! Found at: Justice Marshall Birthplace Park, Germantown Road, Midland, VA
    [​IMG]
    How about a little ride before your next destination?
    [​IMG]
    "Absolutely!" said Ali, "and you can tell me a little about yourself along the way..." Sounds good to me!
  11. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Tag-o-rama, Jthewood!

CUSTOMARILY, the grabber posts the location of the grab; Street address useful for accurately marking the Northern Virginia Tag-o-rama map at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%2Fms%3Fie%3DUTF8%26oe%3DUTF8%26msa%3D0%26output%3Dkml%26msid%3D105356897332601592866.00046b4d8cbe04e24c4c1&sll=38.565348,-77.124023&sspn=2.35365,4.943848&ie=UTF8&ll=38.796908,-77.596436&spn=1.173046,2.471924&z=9
    The map is useful for pre-selecting tag locations; one can ENLARGE the prospective tag area and determine whether it's been tagged before.

Also, "Inquiring minds want to know" where the tag/grab location was, in case they were unable to decipher the clues.

You may wish to edit your grab post, adding something like, "Justice Marshall Birthplace Park, Germantown Road, Midland, VA."

Regardless, good grab! (Early new tag appreciated.)
  12. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After an invigorating ride through the Va countryside, Ali's battery's were recharged and he was high on life. He wanted to keep on riding into Manassas but, on SECOND thought, he decided the "first" park we could "drive" to would be a good place to rest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ali found a nice tree to squeeze under and went fast to sleep.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Happy hunting!
  13. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Very nice tag! :clap
  14. Tupperware

Tupperware Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bruced w SteelB12[​IMG]
  15. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    The Double Bruce. . ..

[​IMG][​IMG]
  16. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you guys can tell, but in my hand is a printout of the photo of Ali's hiding spot. The Brucer is a calculating bastard. I'd wager that he pulls the heads off of kittens to be used as ash trays. This was a pre-meditated Bruce!
  17. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm out. :rofl
  18. Tupperware

Tupperware Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing XDragRacer, on a KLR, at the Battlefield, with a Knife.
  19. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Ah, my reputation precedes me!

Grab; Battery Heights, Manassas National Battlefield Park, US 29 1.8 miles west of Route 234.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outstanding tag and clues.
  20. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    So, we rode past field and farm for a ways, ending up on a highway named for a man who uttered a doctrine.

After a few miles, I pulled over, driving through a tasteful brick entrance-way and up a well-groomed gravel driveway.

"I want you to see this, Ali," I said. "A rather classy and most historic establishment!"

After a half-mile of gravel, we came to this building:

[​IMG]

"Wow, what a beautiful place," said Ali. "Such a sumptious dwelling, on these lovely grounds . . . "

"Ali, I must tell you," I said. "This is only the CARRIAGE HOUSE! The manor house will blow you away!"

"Can we see it, can we, please?" Begged Ali. "I LOVE architecture, 'specially this neo-classic stuff; even more if it's ante-bellum."

"Sorry, not today, Ali!" Hated to disappoint, but . . . couldn't justify the entrance fee, with so little time before my decent respect for the Tag-o-rama players demanded this post.

This lady was plantaion hostess during the War Between the States:

[​IMG]

The war came here, after the Battle of Ball's Bluff, October 21, 1861. Confederate troops bivouacked here, and General Nathan "Shanks" Evans used the manor house for his headquarters.

As the lady of the house evacuated for her home in Upperville, she had her servants prepare food for 130 Union prisoners of war in transit.

"Well, I KNOW you don't want to tag me where the grabber must pay a fee!" said Ali.

"Right," I agreed. "I think I'll put you outside the main entrance, so you'll be freely and economically accessible, any time, night or day."

We stopped at the entrance (also, the exit, 'til 5:30 p.m.):

[​IMG]

Here's a plaque on the right gate structure:

[​IMG]

Now, note the left gate structure:

[​IMG]

Ali's wedged between stone and brick here, covered with bark:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bidding Ali goodbye, I stopped for lunch, at a restaurant named as an affectionate diminutive for "James," barbecued pork, collard greens, beans . . . YUM!

[​IMG]

------------------------------------

O.K., bonus clues: The last paved road's digits add to 6; and, I didn't work in any reference to, "Quaker," but . . . I could have.