For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    I have 2 KLRs with krapped out fork seals on the right side. Mine is leaking badly and the wife's is just weeping. Got a quote from Excalibur in TBay to replace for $85 plus parts (if I just bring them the fork legs). Headingly sports in Winnipeg was a bit higher. Think I will take them off and let Excalibur do it so it is done right and will last longer than my shade tree mechanic ability can provide.
  2. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey there, chris_689 and I were working on his busted fork seals last night and found a way to do it ourselves without having to pay someone to do it. If you're interested, you could do the same. I'll link you to the youtube video we used, it's actually very helpful and it's very simple. The only thing you may have a problem with is getting a 24mm bolt and 24mm socket into the upper fork, but if you have a bunch of ratchet extensions, you're halfway there. what we are going to do it weld a 24mm bolt to a socket that fits in the upper fork and using the extensions, reach into the tube and loosen the dampener. Anyway, this will all make sense when you see the video. The do-it-yourself method is very simple and you'll be spending way less money AND it'll be done withinnnn let's say an hour if you had all the parts at your disposal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITE7ByETVk

Cheers,
    Mel
  3. Tothelake

Tothelake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years ago I made my own by welding a 24mm bolt to a pipe that was long enough to fit into the bottom of the forks. It worked well but I don't think I have it anymore.....might be in my garden shed but can't be sure! I may get a chance to look next week but that likely won't help you for an immediate repair!
  4. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries, we're gonna make our own bolt/extension tool so we can keep it in a tool tube and have it with us anywhere we go since both Chris and I have KLRs
  5. Tothelake

Tothelake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About an hour ago I saw a helmet the same colour as in John Fry's avatar on a KLR headed south across Fermor on Archibald......is that a bonifide John Fry sighting or is it the liquid lunch I had???:1drink
  6. on-off

on-off Six String Slinger

Oddometer:
    Could have been HVee he's got a bright bowl too.

KLR at the Smitty's, your picture was taken in Selkirk,usually people take a pic of the big dumb catfish "Chuck",our claim to fame.
  7. worm

worm Tailgunner

Oddometer:
    There is a bike rally called The Stony Creek Smoker being held at Neepawa the second weekend in July. I have heard it is a nice time bikes beer BBQ and blues music. There was about 800 people there last year with a fairly good variety of people and bikes. I will be going taking an enclosed trailer full of camping essentials- beer- however there will be extra room if anyone wants gear transported to the site. The information is on Facebook.
  8. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    Hey B
    Code:

rian can't say I have seen the sidis anywhere in my travels, backroader is likely the Guy who knows but he is at the ralley. Have not seen your posts before, are you new to the site? Welcome by the way. And if I read right u riding an explorer? Very cool. It was right on my list but I went to the new Tenere, we will have to compare notes! Hopefully get to meet up at a ride soon!
  9. Brian06

Brian06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I am new here. I lurked for a while though. I picked up my new explorer 2 weeks ago. I got the farkled out launch edition. I'm waiting on the Jesse bags as the factory stuff looked pretty cheap.
  10. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    That is going to look great! Did not know of a special launch edition. I assume you bought it at Wildwood? What color did you get? Post a picture if you have the technology!
  11. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    I assume you mean Triumph Explorer. Here is a link to a review of the bikes and gear from a couple women who drove them up to Alaska. They were the prototypes guinea pigs for the Triumph Jesse luggage. From everything I read they are a great choice for an all round bike.

http://advgrrls.com/final-triumph-tiger-review-plus-gear/
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Went for a nice loop thru the country and back thru the city last night. Nice evening for a spin, especially after all that rain we've had last 2 days. It was gorgeous out at Assiniboine Park last night at sunset:

[​IMG]
  13. Brian06

Brian06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I got it from wildwood. I got the graphite one. They have an all black one in stock. [​IMG]
  14. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian awesome looking bike. I only had one choice Black! Waiting on my cases to arrive.
  15. Brian06

Brian06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Calan. How are you liking it so far?
  16. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    There's a pair of good looking machines. Keep 'um right side up guys. I'm GREEN! Bet I'm not alone? The mufflers on both bikes look like stinger missile silos?
    Lyle
  17. chris_689

chris_689 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So first of all Sunday was the best day for riding we have had in a long time and I'm glad we took full advantage of it. We left lac du bonnet around noon with John Fry, headed down the 307 through the park connected with the 44 and on the kenora, Absolutely awesome riding, and Mels first time in twisties, or what we call twisties in manitoba.

Secondly, if any of you want to borrow the handy-dandy tool that we had made for doing your forks, your welcome to it. but you will need a 1/2" drive rachet and an extension of unknown length. (about 12-16 inches).

Lastly huge thank you again to John Fry for saving our bacon last night after we had more bike issues.

Lac du Bonnet to winnipeg via scenic route + our luck = 14 hours.
  18. Mark-II

Mark-II Turn The Gas On

Oddometer:
    Didn't do much interesting myself this weekend. Nearly got into a head-on in Assiniboine park on Sunday when entering the curves to the south of the steam train I met a silver minivan coming the opposite way on the ONE WAY ROAD.

Fortunately none of the cars behind me chose that moment to pass, so I swerved into the other lane.

Funny that before hitting the curve I got a mental reminder to look as far through the turn as I could. Spotted the van through the trees.

Took a boot out to Portage today to find the DMV, for when I take my road test in a week. That has to be about the most out of place looking building I saw there. On the way back I was getting tired of leaning into the wind, so I took the highway south of Elie to #2.

For kicks I pinned the throttle wide open and just managed to lumber up into the neighborhood of 120. Some headwind.... :lol3

The bar risers seem to take some of the strain off the arms (just got them fitted Sunday). I don't think I'll bother with the fork brace now, unless DSP gets muddled and sends me the proper one instead of the requested refund. I'm used to how this thing handles, and through sheer dint of not having ridden anything better in a nasty wind, I'm not spoiled by the memory of sweeter handling.

Ignorance is bliss :D

One thing that I just thought of, though. Will a bike with the low buck exhaust mod pass safety?

I'm wondering if this is something to NOT do if one is perhaps pondering the hue of the grass beyond the demarcation...
  19. Whyswoman

Whyswoman The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer:
    Well, I made it home, safe and sound, from Isplat 2's NoFAR jollification, and I have to say, I am glad I went...

I did the trip there solo, over two days, and rendezvoused with my PifflePartner in the Soo last Tuesday ... spent a couple of days at the camp before the other rally-folk arrived, and really enjoyed being off the grid...I came back with company for the first day (good thing too, cuz I was riding in some pretty inclement weather, through some pretty twisty areas between Marathon and Nipigon - it was good to have Old Fart at Play and Nanabijou as wingmen)....Today I headed out of Nipigon solo at 7:30 am, and arrived home 12 hours later...once again in the rain..

Met some new folks - including Isplat's "Lovey" aka Tiggerr on these pages...his sister Nancy, and her husband Scott...Fine folks for sure...

Other names that come to mind are Finndian from WaWa, and NoFate from Chapleau...I met other folks too, but cannot remember all the names, so I will just say - if you ever get a chance to go to an ADVrider rally - do - I have gone to 2 of them now, and I'm hooked...

I will be posting pics on my Picasa page, and will put a link up here when they are in place...

John...I thought you were going to Alberta?
  20. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer: