Nelson Rigg Survivor Saddle bags

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by effensteve, Feb 2, 2013.

1. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Has any one tried a set of these yet. They are pretty inexpensive at $129 per set, with 28 liters per side capacity. supposed to be "dry" bags. I'm a little leary of the price point, however, for the past four years I've been using a set of nelson riggs that I got off of c-list for 25 bucks and they seem to have held up fairly well.

[​IMG]
  2. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    No experience with those bags but in the past I had one NR tank bag I used as a tail bag and a NR bike cover that came with a bike. Going by the quality (or lack of) of those two items, if'n were me I free up a couple more bucks and get something of better quality. Not saying "those" are bad but so far NR stuff hasn't impressed me.
  3. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    IVe got a nelson rigg tank bag, from maybe 10 years ago, I use it daily.. I like it alot.

ill looki into those saddle bags.
    no reviews really available online.

available in orange, yellow, and black.
  4. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Might be worth a try ... comes with a lifetime 'no hassle' warranty so they must feel confident in them.
  5. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. I had not seen those. That may be what I am looking for for the KLR.
  6. effensteve

Oddometer:
    either these or the Giant loops for $649 I guess. They are a little bigger than either the wolfman expeditions or the ortleibs. Still on the fence though. I wish I could compare them side by side.
  7. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    effnsteve,

if I had to guess, I would assume the nelson rigg bags to be made of a thinner material, than the more expensive bags

like these
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/expd_dry_saddle_bags.html

say they use 22 and 34 oz vinyl, maybe the nelson rigs use 18 and 20 or something?

if the warranty covers falling over and puncturing them, Id buy and use them without worry.

does any soft bag manufacturer warranty stuff like that?

at that price point, I am very tempted to try them, it is unlikely any of my trips would be ruined by falling over and puncturing a bag.

but I do realize, that would be a catastrophe for some folks.
  8. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I have some older NR rolltop tail bags. They worked great, were totally waterproof but looked 20 years old after one year... sun fading turned them from nice black to ashy grey. They still work great now 7 years later and never got any older looking. I'd buy them again if I needed them.
  9. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Nelson-Riggs "sissy-bar" bag for my RS Shadow....great bag!,well made,durable.I'd say they have top notch gear!.
  10. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been struggling with what soft bags to buy for my Vee and my F800. I want something that will work on either machine, give me room to put some stuff AND not break the bank. I HAD decided on a set of Wolfman Expeditions, but balk at the price of the racks to mount them on the BMW.

Then I see these.

I have used Nelson Rigg products for almost 7 years. I had a Dayrunner Rigg Pack on my Vulcan 900 that I used for almost 30,000Km and never had a problem with it. I have a Nelson Rigg Tank/Tail bag combo that has travelled on my Vee and my F800, and its served me very well. To say I believe in their products, would be an understatement.

Hopefully, someone can post a review soon, or get their hands on a set for some detailed pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No experience with these, but I have had a few sets of NR gear and they have always held up very well.

Jim :brow
  12. sierraoffroad

sierraoffroad Long timer

Oddometer:
    these look very similar to the wolfman bags. the nice part about the nelson rigg bags is they are offered in hi vis lime green color for both the saddle bags and tail bag. the larger tail bag is 100.00. similar price to the bags connection brand.
  13. effensteve

Oddometer:
    I wussed out and dropped 2 bills on the wolfman expeditions. Sorry
  14. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If someone buys these, please let us know what you think of them. Thanks!
  15. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a set coming. Will start a detailed, long term review thread when they arrive. Right from unpacking the boxes, initial impressions and how they fit to start.

Then, when enough salt is gone to start riding, I'll really start testing them. I've got two bikes to outfit here, and if they work well - I'll be after another set.
  16. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I have an older model survivor bag sitting in the closet, bought it on a whim since I had a few of the smaller ones. comparing it side by side with my 5 Kriega bags, I swear they are made in the same factory. Both have the dryspec tags, both use the same rhinotek material on the front and the same thickness cordura on the sides. Only difference is the inner waterproof liner on the Kriega is removable. Not that that matters, you can always pull the inner out of the Nelson rigg to clean it.
    They even both use the same brand buckles (but not the same size).

I almost wish I had a bike to fit the bag. It's too large for the new FZ. (Anyone want it?)

The bag I have also has a 5 extra straps to mount to a sissybar. They are long enough and sturdy enough that you can use them to strap directly onto a seat.

Anyway, I use the mini bag all the time. I prefer it to the Kriega US-10 and 5 that I also own. Too bad they stopped making them.

I also have a rollbag as well, it works perfectly strapped to a set of forks up front with two straps through it's integrated loops keeping the weight off the fender.

The new bags look to be made in a different factory. But that does not mean they are worse than the old ones.
  17. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the high-viz yellow saddlebags inbound on Saturday. They should match my high-viz yellow Olympia Phantom suit nicely. I now have a set of NR CL-850 bags mounted on the eBay side racks from the guy in San Diego (losi3030). I won't be doing as thorough a review as C-Stain no doubt will, but I will post some thoughts.
  18. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I am glad some folks have them on order, and really looking forward to the reviews!

Do you folks intend to mount them on factory racks? or what will hold the bag off of the exhaust and stuff?
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is this factory you speak of? Don't you know V-Strom owners are slightly less frugal than KLR owners? :lol3

I have a set of custom fabricated racks that mine will be mounted on. I'll include plenty of pics of everything.
  20. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Just curious, I had not even noticed the bike types to be honest.

I bent up some racks for my dirtbagz a few years back, not really hard to do for soft bags.