The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    I just got a complete BCG from Four Guys Guns. Its 158 carpenter steel, mpi tested, and priced fair at $169

www.arpartsfinder.com helps
  2. TexBiker

TexBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    Took the new savage 308 out for it's maiden voyage...
    Sadly only had PMC 147 gr and a box of Federal soft point 180 gr, but figured they'd be fine for the break in/sight in stuff

[​IMG]

Got on the paper quickly- way R, worked it over. The burris 10x40 mil dot was super clear on a cloudy day, but the windage clicks were inconsistent :dunno
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The PMC seemed warible also, but that could be size as well.

Looking forward to dialing in some loads
  4. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for all you knowledgeable types....

Thinking about building an AR lower I have, into a 9mm PCC. Before everyone says 'get a real rifle', I have real rifles. Point of this gun would be to cheaply shoot the AR platform for fun and the untimely death of pieces of metal scrap.

Question is, why is there no other options (at least that I seem to find) for mag-well adapter, other than the standard that takes the Colt mags or modified Uzi mags? Colt mags are tough to find, and $$$ when you do.

Why hasn't someone created one that takes, for example, Glock mags? Plentiful, 30 rounders available, etc. Is it the inherent rake of the pistol mag and the straight nature of the mag-well? seems like the mag-well adapter could sit at the angle it needed to, although it would and back toward the shooter, i suppose. I could put up with a funky angle, in exchange for plentiful and (usually) inexpensive mags.

Just a thought, figured some guru on here would know the answer.
  5. GoGo Gadget

GoGo Gadget Long timer

Oddometer:

Lone Wolf Designs makes an AR lower that takes Glock mags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D-33NsAh-oY#t=0s
  6. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    This topic, a 9mm AR, reminds me of one of the greatest gun videos of all time.

I love this gun, the M-169, and I love LRM for once paying a beautiful girl to shoot it while filming it. I'm not sure what happened to LRM, but they had a winner in this gun. I only ever saw one, and had a blast shooting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBMvpyxlJM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/euBMvpyxlJM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    'mericuh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. VegasKLRider

VegasKLRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an Olympic upper and a Hahn lower adapter that uses standard STEN mags. The adapter slips in from the top, so it can't fall out if you hit the mag release. The mag releases via a heel latch- like an AK. STEN mags are dirt cheap at most gun shows. I paid $75 for 10 still in cosmoline last year. Keep in mind that not all 9mm upper ejectors work the same, so the mag well will need to be set up for the appropriate upper. The Olympic uses a wire ejector that looks really flimsy but works great.

http://shop.hahn-precision.com/Sten-9mm-Adapter-A9OST0105.htm

To be honest, this setup is much more fun than an AR in 5.56. No recoil, minimal muzzle blast and cheaper to shoot. I shoot my 9mm whenever a match or class stay within 100 yds. If you "roll yer own" ammo, you can get 124 gr ammo up above 1600 fps at normal pressures using Blue Dot.
  10. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Hey, is it wrong that I started laughing my ass off watching a Russian gal shoot an 'american' gun while the music talks about american thighs...honestly, all they needed was a Chevy with a big fucking flag in the bed.....

or something - I got a mixed message there somehow.
  11. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Nope, not wrong at all. And it is sung by an Australian band. That's one of the things that makes that video great. :lol3
  12. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will scope that out. Better than unobtanium Colt mags...
  13. ride4fun562

ride4fun562 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love it sooooo much [​IMG]
  14. 00SS

00SS Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer:
    So i decided to put a stainless mil spec slide on my RI A2 (wide body), this was mostly due to the fact i wanted some aftermarket fiber sights (front were pinned in and not dovetailed). Pretty standard swap, since it came stripped i swapped out the extractor and firing pin, added the green fiber sights and then reassembled. I did a bit of research as the slide fits 'very' tight.. any thoughts on the best way to 'lap' it in? i've been working it and applied a pretty liberal amount of Hoppes gun oil, but still pretty tight.
    I don't mind a tight slide as opposed to a 'loose' one..i've heard both sides of the coin on which is more accurate/preferred.. the standard consensus is it should be 'butter'.. which it is not. any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    dust that lamp!:evil

is that half jaw decoration or you use it for something!?
  16. 00SS

Oddometer:
    yes, i'm lacking in my office dusting skillz :lol3
    The jawbone is ornamental, although i wouldn't want to get hit with it :deal
  17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    This is just a guess, I am not a gunsmith.

But is it possible that with a tight, non-fitted (yet) slide you could get some valve lapping compound (like for a car engine) and put that on the rails and slide then spend an hour (or a few) running it back and fourth?
  18. TexBiker

TexBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garnet lapping compound works well. I attended a 1911 build class with Bob Rodgers a few years back and that's what we used on our customs.

Get it here: Garnet Lapping Compound - Brownells

Ended up with this Dan Wesson CBOB homage when we were done:

[​IMG]

Fun little 10mm beast.
  19. 00SS

Oddometer:
    Kind of what i was thinking, maybe some lithium grease. I was also thinking no harm in putting a box through it and see if it'll lighten up a bit. I guess the worse that will happen is it won't cycle if it's to tight?
  20. 00SS

Oddometer:
    Nice piece - i'll have a look at that compound.. thanks for the tip.