KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    The Wolfman bag spreads the weight along the subframe in front of the junction with the two struts that head out to the rear. My bracket localizes the force past this joint so only this relatively unsupported part of the subframe carries the weight of the Dirt Bagz. That is my concern. I do not anticipate any problems as long as I keep the weight within limits. I intend to get the Wolfman Beta bag with the 8" channel as well and am not worried about that weight. I've seen some pretty hefty guys slamming around on RFSs without trashing the subframe but then they are not literally sitting out on the fender where the weakest part happens to be. I've also been in some pretty spectacular crashes as well without damage to the subframe. I'm just cautious.

Stu
  2. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    For all of you that may still be wondering about the RFS as a dual sport bike the indecisiveness is over. The latest issue of Cycle World (August) picked the '07 525 EXC as one of the 10 best bikes winning the dual sport category. They had high praise for the bike. They have a 450 EXC in their long term testing as well. Zero problems with it to date.

The latest issue of Dirt Rider (August issue) also singled out the '07 450 EXC as the best enduro bike for the year. They also noted on page 77 that, "We've put more than 30,000 miles on an RFS motor, and this isn't bad for a bike that was introduced in 2000 as high-performance and possibly short-fused."

End of discussion about reliability and the RFS! Go Ride it, guys!

Stu
  3. WoovsHoovs

WoovsHoovs RUN SILENT

Oddometer:
    +1 ride on!!

Mine's strictly off road duty-but sometimes I think a little asphalt would be just fine on the 525.

Anybody ridden a cush hub off road for any significant time?"
  4. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, my balance isn't as good as yours so I just squeezed mine together with a clamp. It went into the swingarm easy. I love my Woody's :lol3 Wheel, that is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    Well, Brian, I see that you believe that anything worth doing is worth doing to wretched excess.

Stu
  6. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's a good motto for me :lol3
  7. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    04 450 MXC just crossed into 17,000 all street miles after 18 months of original owner riding. Valves adjusted once, still in spec but put to loose side. No mech problems at all.
  8. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed. I hope to get as many miles out of my 525.

I have had PMs about the Dirt Bagz and what they look like. First, I've had several sets of these bags. They are very durable, flexible, out of the way for tight trails (unlike hard bags) and classy looking. I've had nasty crashes on them. They seem to survive my worst. Highly recommended, guys.

I also mounted Sicass Racing LEDs for rear turnsignals, keeping them close and drilling new mounts toward the front and up. This keeps them from frying with the Akrapovic exhaust and makes them fairly crash proof. (More on that as I crash more.) You can see how they are up and forward.

Pix:

Attached Files:

9. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice job, Stu.

Yeah, my right indicator is getting a little sooty in its stock location, even after going to the Sicass. I may remount mine like you did yours so it doesn't get any worse.
  10. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Greetings. I've been lurking on this thread for a while. I have a KLR650 which I use for long distance on/off road trips, but the KLR is a big fat pig for anything except fire roads.

The 525 looks like a good solution to my desire of a 90/10% adventure bike. Regarding luggage, though, I havent seen anyone on this thread talk about using Tank Panniers.

On my KLR, I use the Wolfman Beta, Explorer tank bag, front fender bag, and...tank panniers. Would they be too much in the way on an EXC? They are an excellent way of unloading the rear subframe a bit.

[​IMG]

Thanks.
  11. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Nice bagz and setup, Stu! I also like the way you mounted the Sicass LEDs -- I'll have to get mine on soon. Dig that Akra silencer; no louder than the de-restricted stock unit, but a much nicer zaus note.
  12. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    Woodsrider,

Thanks for the compliment! I am a good source for destructive testing since I crash a lot and the Dirt Bagz have survived.

Do your leg stretches if you mount the turn signals up high. That is the only compromise. I don't have any problem with my 29" inseam but my buddies with their 32+" inseams seem to tangle with them. I don't think they stretch....

Mark,

I have not used the tank bags. I have seen guys who have and seem happy with them. As a hare scrambles guy I just like to be able to move around. My choice. I have run across lots of KLR riders that like their bikes for everything except nasty trails. A week in Moab usually has them looking at KTMs and Huskys. Some of them have gone to 400DRs and like them better than the KLR for that sort of riding. (The '08 KLR looks like a road bike and apparently is about 50 lbs heavier than the earlier ones. My neighbor got one. He is profoundly disinterested in going with me to our riding area. I don't blame him.) The new 535 and the old 525 both weigh about 250 lbs. (They both are 510c.c.s) The old one has lots of after market stuff for it such as the Clarke 3.1 gallon tank. The new one has a new frame and some after market stuff might be delayed in getting out because of that. Check first. Either one will fit your 90% trail / 10% street criteria.

Happy riding!

Stu
  13. leesbian

leesbian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mines in the clamp right now (is that the worlds slowest wheel change or what?:rofl )

That gap I can see there.... I guess its around 5mm... is that how it should be once its fully "in place"? I've already had in that far, and was able to remove the sprocket carrier again quite easily using just my hands... I guess once its on the bike, there are no lateral forces pulling it apart, so it's OK, right?

BTW, anybody got a phone number of adventurers workshop? my wolfman stuff I ordered back in February STILL hasn't shown up, they don't answer emails, and the website no longer lists a phone number. I'm not a happy bunny. :cry
  14. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    Leesbian,

Look at my post back on page 10 of this thread. You can see that the gap is pretty narrow. 5mm might be a bit much for the wheel to go in the swingarm.

If Adventurers doesn't have your money I'd get the bag directly from Wolfman. Just explain the circumstances so he can ship to you.

Stu
  15. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Stupid question apropos of nothing in this thread (except the KTM, of course) . . . everytime I ride my 450, I have blue grease coming down the left side of my swing arm. Can't figure out where it is coming from . . . any ideas?

Gracias
  16. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Do you oil your air filter heavily? I have seen excess air filter oil drain from the air box and find its way onto the swingarm.
  17. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    It is air filter oil. From my dealer, it dripped blue...I use PJ1 and now it drips red. It is super common. It comes from that flap under the airbox. :thumb
  18. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I was really puzzling over it . . . this is why I love this forum. :D
  19. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take it you didn't order from Eric (wolfman) directly? My stuff is always here in 3-5 days.
  20. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    Yea, but you are in Texas and Leesbian is in London. Wolfman may have some sort of marketing arrangement with Adventurers. However, if they are not fulfilling their end of the deal, i.e., failing to take care of customers, for example, Eric needs to know that so he can ship directly, or so he can contact Adventurers directly and light a fire under them.
    Stu