daanbaan in Kiwi country

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Daanbanaan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Whew! big job. I must admit I haven`t been following Pampa`s thread, even though I had seen it.

My plan is to have just one bike. My body is too fragile to do much knarly stuff, but I still need a bike for long distance and dirt roads, so an R100GS will be perfect for me. My 1100Gs is a great bike, but is getting too heavy for me in heavy going.

When I buy a R100GS, depending on its condition, it will either go for profe$$ional rebuilding straight away, or I will ride it and get things done when needed.

I`ve got a couple of options on how it can be set up, depending on whether I end up with a GS or a PD. Whichever way I go, the bike will still have to be able to do fairly comfortable back to back 1000Km days.
  2. Daanbanaan

Daanbanaan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Yeaah kaipara was cool! Been travelling for 8 day...I'm in love with NZ here some pictures so far
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    Great Photo's Daan :thumb
  4. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    I`m interested to know how the Xchallenge front end handles on that bike. From what I have read, a lot of Xchallenge owners replace them as they are difficult (if not impossible) to improve.

I must admit though, it does look good, especially with the small headlight.
  5. Daanbanaan

Daanbanaan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About the front: I know the Xchallenge front isn't the best fork. But it was a free gift from Walter Colebatch(also here on the forum, syberski extreme). Changed the inside of the fork with hyperpro spring for a F800GS with a big touratech gas tank. It handles better then the original fork...but it's still no real dirtbike. Especially when you jump with the bike. But it was free and it's kinda cool to have a fork that've been in siberia
    The bike has quite a history. Used by the Bmw dealer as a Demo bike. Then sold to a customer. The customer traded the bike back to the dealer. The accountant of the dutch bmw GS club bought the bike for a low price because the engine makes a strange nosie(engine has been taken apart for three times and we never found the source of the strange noise).
    The Accounant used the bike for off road use:
    [​IMG]

He burned down all the electric and bought a Xchallenge. He traded the bike for a Hyperpro rear shock. At that time a was doing work experience at the hyperpro workshop in holland. We made the bike a little bit more off road and used it for saturday after work rides in the mud.
    then the bike looked like this: self made seat/ r65g/s sub frame/ self made exhaust/acerbis rear fender etc:
    [​IMG]

I needed a bike for the my New Zealand trip. I've got a bmw r65g/s as well. but dad said "no way you take that bike to NZ":
    [​IMG]
    So three months before I left. I bought my "work experience" bike. Spend almost every evening turning the bike into what it is now. The bike has been used as a "donor bike"so when I started the bike looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Some features:

modified r65g/s sub frame
    [​IMG]
    rear rim is a 18 inch "front bmw cruiser wheel"

headlight/fork is from the Xchallenge made some brackets for the headlight

indicators also from the Xchallenge

Custom seat...welded the front part of a R100GS seat to the rear part of a R65G/S seat. Then a guy wo normally does
    car interiors made the rest of the seat.
    [​IMG]
    Front brake caliper is from the Xmoto. The brake disc bolts are to high, so I drilled out the spacers and used some other inbus bolts( hope you understand this, really don't know how to tell this in English
    [​IMG]
    Mirrors are from Adventure spec

Modified G/S pannier racks
    [​IMG]
    Self made lugage rack above the cilinders

Handlebars are some after market dirtbike handlebars.

Front hub is from a bmw cruiser with the original R100GS around. Made some spacers to fit the hub in the fork

Rear shock is a Custom made Hyperpro shock (it's great to have some good connections)

Acewell speedo, with the special "bmw sensor"wich fits in the original place
    [​IMG]
    Self made rear foot peg...you never know:D

And lot of small things I forgot

Some pictures from today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there any other questions, you're welcom!

Cheers
  6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    You've done a great job with that bike. Colebatch front forks, that have been places... now you're on your own adventure.

inbus = Allen-head screw or hex socket screw

Tell us more about the R65G/s looks like it's a military version. So Dad is more worried about the bike than the son? :-).
  7. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Well done db! Great job on the bike.
    The exhaust on that top pic is excellent:D
    You've given me some great ideas
    Did you get the wheels laced or do it yourself?
  8. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Ha! I knew it. When you mentioned your nationality and it was revealed that your bike has an Xc front end, I thought of Walter.

Good thing is, if you ever make it to Siberia, all you need to do is lock the throttle screw in tight and let the bike have its head, as it will surely know which way to go. :D
  9. andy mac

andy mac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update: I saw Dan in Hanmer Springs on Thursday 24 Nov. All's well, he was going up the Rainbow Rd to get some photos for a Euro magazine. I advised him not to attempt to go thru to St Arnauld as there was a major slip at 50km that we had struggled to get thru on 250's.
  10. Daanbanaan

Daanbanaan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Yep I've met Andy at the gas station. In Hanmer springs I also met the two other guys on all road bikes (Andy knows who they are) They gave many tips about the south. On Rainbow there were two farmers who also told me about the big slip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I reached the slip I first thougt: "ow not to bad" But when I walked over, the ground was moving like a big waterbed. And there was a big "go back" arrow made of rocks. The farmers also left a note that it was to soft to go through. Played safe en turned around. On the way back I did the .....cycle trail. don't know the full name anymore. To be honest this was even beter then rainbow road because you don't have the powerlines in your view all the time.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I did "Lees pass" They allready told me that I had to cross a river. When I arrived at the river there where 4 other guys on motorbikes. 1 ktm 990, 2 F650GS and 1 F800gs. They crossed the river first en waited to see me safe on the other site. I'm glad they waited, Beause when I reached the other side, the rearwheel slipped away and I dropped the bike. With my feet stuck under the bike. Two guys walked across the river to help me...THANKS!!!

[​IMG]

About the R65G/S, It's a ex dutch army bike. from '89. It was used in the war in Bosnia( I thinks in '92) It's the reduced power version with 27hp...YEAAH

Because Dad don't want anything bad happing to this bike I decided to make it more road going. Again I used the BMW cruiser hub with a rear 18inch g/s rim around.

The brake calipers are easy to find, they are on many bmw models. The fork is original, but the inside is from a honda cbrxxxxrr with hyperpro springs. It's great because now I can adjust rebound and compression. Other people who rode with the bike said the front felt like there fast japanese race bike. The double brake disc are very good.........but still it only has 27hp:D

[​IMG]

A company laced the wheels of the R100GS for me, seems to be a art to do this properly.

cheers
  11. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Was that you riding thru Queenstown yesterday ??? If u are around Te Anau and want a meal , workshop, I might get in a days riding as well .email me or txt 0273439959 Cheers Toddy
  12. Daanbanaan

Daanbanaan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I stayed at DOC campsites the last nights and missed your message:(. I've gone further south allready. But thanks a lot for the offer!
  13. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I was in at City Mcs today in Nelson. The crew there were telling me I'd just missed a cool GS with usds etc being loaded onto a van. Turned out it was Dans bike that had crapped its gearbox:cry
    Hope you have a good rest of the trip
  14. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I was in City MC today and they didn't tell me a thing.

About 11:45am though.
  15. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Tooo much power.
  16. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Just caught up with this thread. Groetjes Daan! I hope the gearbox isn’t the end of your trip. PM me if you need a spare ‘box to get you back on the road.

Igor
  17. Sascha

Sascha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW! no more.... knock on wood.... cheers... going to queenstown tomorrow.... maybe... or the day after.....

cheers Sascha
  18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    How's the lad doing? I hope he's ok.
  19. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Any more news?