World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Since 8.0 my t-50-2 is less and less fun. With the ubiquitous ELCs around, I started grinding towards one yesterday. Loking forward to it.
  2. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    ELCs aren't scouts... just look at the radio range as compared to one of the true scouts. they are far more effective running around madly sniping a few shots and running away before they die to go do it again somewhere else. People in the game just think its fast so it's a scout.

with that said why the hell or they so hard to kill with so little armor?
  3. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the small cross section and weird shape has a lot to do with whether or not it gets penetrated.
  4. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Dude, that's awesome!

I think I may still have binocs on mine from what some of my friends keep saying - that the ELC is also a good sniper. (I really don't know its view range) So, I probably have binocs, camo and a vent for situations / wooded maps that it would make sense to hold back, and on city maps, while the binocs and camo aren't used much, the advantages of smooth city streets more than make up for it.

And I'm not even skilled with the damned thing like I've seen a few guys play it. Two play styles that I've ... been the victim of (and have since used)... that seem worth honing come to mind:

The grind: side to side against an alone 3601 or a KV-1S, or similar tank that might only have enough gun depression to shoot you when the highest part of the ELC slips past (a very small moment that they will usually miss), and grinding back and forth continuously. The turret on the ELC can pivot just enough to keep the tank tracked every other shot (when you're backing up just a hair more on your back and forth grind against his side), and for the other every-other shots, once he is tracked, backing up just a hair more to place a shot in his side.

It goes from the tier 6 being totally confident in the beginning to an 'oh shit' moment for them when they realize that if they don't get lucky with a shot, they will die.

Yeah, that's a pretty advanced way to use it, but I've seen guys do it well.

Second: the Japanese Dive Bomber. I use the Japanese term because they are so agile (like Jap Zero's and other planes were compared to ours). Best used for city maps with flat streets, you wait and see the action and an open route, then come out of nowhere on an otherwise engaged (ideally, rear of) high tiered enemy right down the street at him, fire while still rolling at speed, zip around him and keep your speed up around the block(s) as you're reloading and getting lined up for another run (on that same street, same target).

But yeah, then on some maps the passive scout is needed.

For using the gun in combat, though, the whole AMX line seems to me to be one that holding back and being one of the last in is the best way to use them. With my 13-75 and 12t I'll wait for larger tanks to engage larger tanks, then be their 'drone' that comes from the side and up behind, or to the side, to add the DPS for my side's larger tanks.

Even with the 50-100 series. In a battle yesterday my platoon mate was telling me about how weak his 50 100 was when I commented about it being a cool tank it as we went into battle. It was the 'Highway' map, and we were in the south-west spawn. I suggested that with the good view of the eastern city approach from there, and since I was taking my T34 north, that he sit at base and get ready to support the heavies that went to the city (XVM showed them as not too good, so it was a bet that they'd fail and let enemy tier 8's through... and I was the only tier 8, and really only tank, that went north, so it wasn't like they didn't have enough tanks). He was apprehensive because, well, who doesn't like supporting the team and being right in there for the main battle?

Sure enough, it came down to him in the end - with a weak arty - sniping at the enemy T34's that won the city and were headed west, and then he had to do clean-up on a full health premium 122 TD in the middle, and an arty at their base.

Had he been in the city with such a weak tier 8 team, he would have been crushed during one of his 45 second reloads (where, instead, he had the buildings at our base to hide behind, and the slow-approaching enemy tier 8's to snipe at and light up for arty), meaning that the last player left would have been that weak (and not too good) arty (who wouldn't have a spotter) for our team.
  5. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Sorta reminds me about a tenet that the 60% and above sister clan, who are easily some of the best in the game (they don't really do clan wars since they own a bunch of land, and few are stupid enough to try to challenge them... so they just get free gold for no battles), play by.

I can tell this to you guys, but I can't say I have the mindset to practice it... extreme patience. This basically is giving the enemy as much time as possible to make the mistake of being the one(s) to move (which breaks their camo, and puts them into harm's way).

Another that the best on my team yell at us on clan wars, and the other clan probably uses, is "DON'T PEEK!" ... if you don't peek, the enemy will and that means you (and the team mate you are with) get a side-shot on them (preferably tracking them where their gun isn't even able to hit you) while they have to shoot your front.

Hey, if some of you guys can use either tip, then so be it. I can't claim I'm bright enough to follow them religiously like they do, but I know the patience part works from back in the day when I played the PzIV and the Marder II.
  6. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
    the PZVI-S as it is now lives by this rule. Sit back and wate.
  7. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    I have a real problem with patience :cry
  8. Smithy

Oddometer:
    Oh.
    My.
    God.

I just went through my depot, and found over 160 components for current tanks, and tanks sold, from various upgrades. I was sitting on 2.5 million silver, sold it all - old shells, turrets, suspensions, radios, guns, engines... and some of the "treats" from specials (chocolate, x10, at 10,000 each) :eek1:eek1:eek1

Check your Depot, gentlemen. There may be treasure there.
  9. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Tanksgiving specials (now to Friday morning):

2x crew experience
    50% discount on crew skills reset
    50% discount on equipment
    50% discount on garage slots
  10. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    There's a depot?
  11. Smithy

Oddometer:
    Every time you upgrade a component on a tank, "Buy and mount", it takes the one you just replaced and puts it in your depot. They're worth money. Go get it... anything in the depot is not mounted to a tank... and don't forget to check "tanks I don't own" to see stuff from the ones you've gotten rid of, too.
  12. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
    Yep. Found that last month. Had around 3mil. Worth of left over junk in there.
  13. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll some fall cleaning. Too bad we can't convert silver to xp.

I was out deer hunting and missed last weekends special. I was going to get a couple more weeks premium account. I played the Patton last night twice and lost around 50k.
  14. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Gotta finish up the SU-85. About 10k xp to go. Yay discounts!
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the 100 to be nothing till you got the top gun.....sounds like everything in the game....then it is pretty nice but with a SLOW reload.

I will have to look in there as well....I just spent about all my free exp to upgrade my tiger II....my god that was horrable with the base gun....taking those losses in just insane.

I had been saving my free exp from the start of the game...just spending a little here and there...this time I used about 30k of free exp...and that about cleaned me out.

Also had spend a lot of silver here lately....the new tanks, Pershing and Tiger II, a few upgrades to them....I went from 7mil down to 3 mil pretty quick.....I feel poor now.

Time to start working the way back up.

Oh and in the second game I was taken down to ~100hp in one shot by arty....the first shot. Fuckin amazing.
  16. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    I did SU-85 and SU-100 back in beta ... the SU-152 convinced me to give up the Soviet TD line. Lots of differences between then and now.

One thing about SU-85 this time around ... I never upgraded the gun. Doing so is a 15% drop in AP DPS, and the trade is 120 pen to 144 pen. Neither can pen the front of a T7 heavy, but both can pen the side. On the HE side, the upgraded gun is much, much worse. A 30% drop in DPS is inexcusable. I definitely miss the 107mm from before the nerf, but the TD still hits hard and conceals easily. I regularly do 500 to 1500 damage win or loss; not bad for a vehicle with 350 hp.

I have plenty of free XP saved for the 100mm when it is time to upgrade. Not so much with the credits. I keep telling myself to save silver for the tier 10 stuff. Oops.
  17. Smithy

Oddometer:
    I flat out skipped the Tiger II in favor of the E-75. Grinding it hard now, soooo much xp for component research. At least it's not stock, but it ain't pimped either. Just got my ass handed to me by a Su-152 Derpapottomus.
  18. Switchblade315

Oddometer:

the E-75 once maxed out is nice. i did everything except for the motor first. this was a big mistake. get off road driving for it as well. it makes a BIG difference on this tank.
  19. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw last night that they are doing Chinese tanks.....what is the point, they are soviet copies for the most part.

I would like to see some of the odd balls out there.....I would love a Super Sherman from the arab wars....I think it would fit with the game....just a sherman with a french 105 IIRC....there are bunches of tanks from those early wars that had all kinds of different stuff on them....all using the base tanks that are already in the game....even the arabs had shermans with goofy turrets and upgraded guns. I think a branch of the desert wars of the late 40's-60's would fit very well in this game.

Doubt we will ever see that tho....russians/soviets and israel are not the best of friends....or they would nerf the hell out of the IDF tanks...not unlike the nerf of the germans.
  20. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    It's about making $$$, why do you think the Golden Type 59 is only available in China.