GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanak for confirming !!

I thought it was just me. But I guess I was expecting a "live " image.

I use the preview when I'm moutif the cam on top of car.
  2. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Same on the android app.
  3. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I can't remember which gopro I used for this...maybe the H2...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DOxAc2kAn30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    It's roughly 2-3 seconds for me with my Black and my Android phone or tablet.
  5. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this will be of much help but I'll pass along what I can....

If you have a helmet mounted speaker/mic setup for the radios you might (???) be able to tap into the signals. I say might because I don't remember if those Midland radios can be used with Midland's motorcycle helmet setup and if the mic requires power from the radio to work.

As far as using splitters, I've had mixed results. Sometimes they work just fine like when adding speakers to a system. Other times you run into feedback issues or signal loops where a signal from one device gets into the other device. The only way to know for sure would be to give the splitters a try.

If you do run into issues with signals feeding back then the only way to avoid that would be to isolate the signals from each other.

If that's the case then something like a Mix-It that allows multiple inputs and combines them into one output which you would then feed to the GoPro mic input may be the solution.

More info on the Mix-It can be found here...
    http://www.mixitproducts.com

I'm not sure if something like that would work in your situation or not but the info on their site may give you some ideas.

What ever you decide to do, keep live audio output levels (like from the radios) low in the beginning so you do not drive the mic input on the GoPro to hard. I'm not sure what the specs on the GoPro are but it would be a shame to over drive the mic input and hurt it.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas on how to configure your setup.

If you get it all working post back here in case others wish to do something similar.

Jon...
  6. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looked like a great ride. Thanks for posting.
  7. scooterGdawg

scooterGdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank u...I guess I will head to radio shack and test some stuff out....ill post what I find
  8. Peirre O`Bollox

Peirre O`Bollox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a slightly different note:
    (discounting the possible safety issue while being connected to the bike with a cable)

Has anyone used their helmet mounted GP in a skeleton case on a dry day while riding (touring) and hooked the GP up to a USB power source on the bike using lets say a $2 10ft spiral USB A - USB B cable to give a virtually unlimited power source to the GP while in use. negating the need to stop & swop out GP batteries. As I`m considering this idea, especially as I already have comms cable connecting me to the bike, and maybe the power cable for the gerbing if req`d

discuss .......
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    If you read some of the posts from the GoPro forums they aren't having good luck using the GoPro in record mode while running off the USB cable. It's fine for playback running off USB. I'm going to sacrifice (take apart) a battery so I can connect wires to it internally, leave the metal back off the cam and run the wires out the back of the openings in the non-waterproof case cover, whan I can get around to it. Too many projects, not enough time.
    Here's a recent ride shot mostly with the H3 @ 1080/60, still working on the settings to get rid of the jello effect from stabilization.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e4G7SZE5AOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about how to produce video(I have a hard enough time with a P&S camera-:rofl) but this one was great! What do you mean by "Jello Effect"?

Pete
  11. The_Commander

The_Commander The Man. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indypup FTW
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

If you look close, ocassionally the picture looks like the screen is waving somewhat. That's due to the stabilization software I'm using when editing. There's allot of stabilization adjustment settings, I need to find the best ones to reduce the effect.
  13. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Awesome Vid Ridefreak!! Love the singeltrack stuff and makes my busted arm yearn even more for it.

I was thinking of charging the Go Pro via USB and saw your comments. Why prey tell does it seem to function well on Playback but not record do ya know? Have your heard if this is an issue with all Go Pro's or just the Hero model (I just have a HD Go Pro)?
  14. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:

The prev gen heros (Hero HD) charge fine off usb and give a solid 2hrs per battery. It's the new ones that are having the USB issues with charging from a computer and trying to film when running off USB.
  15. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A big tip of the hat for your answer, thank you.
  16. scooterGdawg

Oddometer:
    What about charging off the bike? Any issues?
  17. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage

Oddometer:
    n00b question. I've got a new Hero2. This one charge OK by USB? And I've been planning to go with a case mod and leave it plugged in to USB while riding from an onboard port. Any issues?

Thanks.
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    If you mean from the bike via USB that's a good question. There are issues charging issues, not recommended from a computer's USB port which is ~.5A, 1A seems to be the preferred outpt to fully charge the batteries, many folks are using an Apple IPOD wall charger (120V to USB @ 1A).

If I was going to charge off the bike's electrical system (or any vehicle) I'd run a wasabi charger that has the 12VDC/120VAC inputs, it's dedicated and frees up the cam while charging, available at Amazon.
  19. scooterGdawg

Oddometer:
    WELL....my cables came yesterday...to charge while operating. ..so I can report back... hereo 3
  20. scooterGdawg

Oddometer:
    i just tested two hero 3's recording while charging from the bike...... no issues....

what exactly am i looking for issue wise?