War Thunder

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Jeffy, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    Did...did you land a bomber on a carrier? :huh

Jesus my BB-1 takes about 1000' of space to stop. I hope there's some sort of arresting hook/cable on there.
  2. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    I really have to start recording all my battles. I just had two very nice runs for wins. The second one was a single plane, 10 ground kill, 7 air kill mission.....:clap

Really pisses me off when I'm trying to get xp on multiple planes, and I only get to get one of them in the air. :lol3
  3. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    That is a hellva run, mate! :clap

I'm pretty streaky myself...but I usually find myself at the top 3 of the leaderboards. :deal I'm finding myself bombing more and more and focusing on objectives than just getting kills.
  4. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Yup, stopped it without an arresting hook. I'm not sure if I would have been able to take off if I started at the rear of the deck. There's no way to rev the engine while holding the brakes and the Avenger seems to barely have enough room to take off. You basically have to glide it in then power up to get altitude and cutting power as you climb over the deck to stall it.
  5. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    Wow, the US planes just flat-out suck at low lvl. (0-1)

Gonna stick with the Germans for 0-1 and the Russians for 2-3.
    Not ready for the higher lvls yet.

Starting to love bombing with the Catalina. 4 1000lb bombs do a lot of damage!
  6. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the US wouldn't be my first choice. If you want to really rack up XP then start with the Russians. Although I've heard the Developer has a bias since as they are Russian. US is pretty weak early on. When other countries give you two 20mm cannons at lvl 4 you're still stuck with two 30's and two 50's. The first plane with a 20mm on the US side is the P-39 and that's a lvl6. It has two 50's as well. For comparison, a British Beaufighter is lvl 5 and has four 20mm's, six 50's and one 30.
  7. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    Turn on auto saves for your battles, it's in the settings. After a session, delete the ones you want to forget and rename the good ones to distinguish them.

I tried to move to lvl 2-3 germans, I'm back in the middle of the pack at the end of the battle.. Of course the planes are bare stock but it's clear that the players are much more experienced...
  8. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    I've got the replays on, but War Thunder's replay system leaves a lot to be desired. I can capture it live without a performance hit, I just have to remember to turn on my recording software. I'll probably still go back and capture those two if I get a chance in the next couple of days. The following vid was recorded live....no frame rate hit noticed at all.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/b_8CurgolQM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/b_8CurgolQM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  9. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    One of my better runs tonight. I usually start out with the Catalina or BB-1 (depending on the mission) then switch to the I-153 or LaGG-3 to help out with fighters/attacking aircraft.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My current Russian 2-3 setup is pretty sweet. I'm maxed out in everything except for BB-1 XP. It's a bit like seal-clubbing at times. :lol3
    Having rockets on all my fighters helps out a lot, and I've learned to use the OPed cannon in the LaGG to great effect.
    [​IMG]

Question...I saw a Spitfire twice tonight in a 2-3 game. How is that allowed? I mean the fkn Hurricanes are bad enough. :bluduh

I don't have any experience with higher, but 2-3 is pretty sweet. It's well-balanced, plane-wise and while you have some skilled players there, there's still enough n00bs to not be on the edge of your seat all the time. Plus, people actually go for the objective in 2-3 and the action is faster-paced. One thing I've noticed is a lot of bird-dogging going on, people that are afraid to break away from the pack. I usually counter that with my LaGG which is faster than most for some hit and run.

In 0-1 you start out so friggin far apart, it takes forever to engage at Biplane speed. Plus people are ramming you, it's n00b city. Fun, but fights can take forever.
  10. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Just because you're only running 2-3 doesn't mean that's all you're going to see......the Spitfire Mk 1 is only rank 5 and only carries machine guns. Your LaGG-3-11 is more than a match when flown right, especially when it's fully upgraded. That I-153 in your lineup....well, just turn inside him and stay there.

Keep in mind that with the way this game is balanced, anybody can shoot down anybody. If you can use your plane's strengths to get an advantage over the other guy, you can drop him.
  11. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing he's seeing what I've seen. He's selecting a 2-3 tier game and is seeing 4-5 tier planes in it. I've seen this happen over and over again. I think the game is not only looking at the tier of your planes but your actual country LVL. I was playing a 0-1 tier and when I was Lvl 1 it was ok. When I got to LVL 2 but still flying 0-1 planes I started seeing Tier 2 planes. Actually this last game, I was flying a Gladiator (1) and only had two Nimrods and and a Fury in my hanger and was up against a bunch of Hurricanes. It's a bit frustrating when you want to fly against people in the same class planes. Then when you play a Tier 2-3, you get to see Tier 4-5 planes...

I should add that I unlocked the Blenheim MK IV and it's pretty tough for a Tier 2. It's way more powerful then anything in the US that's in the same tier. I shot down or more specifically, the AI shot down three planes while I concentrated on a bomb run. You have to wait for the A-20 which has more guns but you have to wait till tier 5.
  12. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    There has got to be some sort of tier or ranking system they use. I swapped out my maxed-out I-16 Ishak for a bone-stock lvl 4 MiG and it put me into the 4-5 que. I would imagine it might be based on pilot lvl, plane mods, plane XP, etc. But who knows, really?

Believe me, I'm not complaining. I'm sure my tweaked-out LaGG 3-11 is a way better plane than a bone stock Spitfire. But a fully-tweaked Spitfire in 2-3 shouldn't happen, imo.
  13. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    It's generally though that the highest tier plane sets your playing tier. So if you have a tier 4 Mig then you should be in Tier 4-5 no matter what tier your other planes are. That's to be expected. What I was talking about is having all 0-1 Tier planes and going into a tier 0-1 game but seeing 2-3's in game. This happened when I moved from LVL1 to LVL2. I've also seen it happen when I play a tier 4-5 and see tier 6-7 planes in game. So I think it takes into account your country lvl as well as the plane tier you choose.

On a side note, I'm really liking the Hurricane and the Blenheim MK IV. They're both Tier 2's but they are pretty tough. More so then any of my US tier 2's.
  14. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, those 8 .30cals on the Hurricane suuuuck, especially when I'm on my I-153. :bluduh
  15. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    The Hurricane MKI is a tier 1 has 8 and the MKII has 12 and is a tier 3. Both are way better then the P-36 and P-40 on the US side.

I'm making better progress with my British planes then I did with my US. I just unlocked the MKII and the Beaufort. The Beauhiem is a beast for a tier 2. It has one crappy 30 cal you control and a 2x 30 turret up top. The one rear facing chin gun is strange but effective. I've let the AI take down plane after plane while I fly and drop bombs.
  16. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    Stupid game. My track ir should be arriving any day now.
  17. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    I think the Brits get you into the best planes early.. if you like the Beaufighter, wait until you get the Mk X... it's a monster.
  18. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    You can use that with ARMA 3... Just saying. :deal :lol3
  19. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah.....I experience a lot of this as well. Last night I was getting shot down all over the place by P-51's in my crappy bi-plane. It's next to impossible to shoot one down, let alone catch one.
  20. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I don't know why but my plane, it doesn't matter what I'm in, always seems slower then everyone else.

Luckily, I'm not high enough to unlock the P-51's which don't seem that heavily armed compared to the Brits, Germans, Russians.