First Post, First Bike, First Bad Decision?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Maliwal, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Maliwal

Maliwal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey again folks, I just found some time to poke around and see what may have been wrong and I've discovered a few things.

First off, more metal shavings located in the oil filter area, though not very many. They were mainly accumulated in the cover, which I think I neglected to clean properly initially. The oil filter itself had quite a few chunks of good-sized crap caught on it, and this is after only about 600 miles. So I'm thinking I need to completely flush the system, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. Any suggestions?

Second, I pulled the sprocket this morning and lo-and-behold, the oil seal was A) plastic, B) old, and C) half melted. I'm guessing that C) is the issue. It came out incredibly easy: It stuck to the back of the sprocket when I pulled it off. So I'm thinking that MAY have been a contributing factor in my leak. Just a wild guess, but something tells me it's related. After tootling around Kaman Industrial in Ontario for a while, I've got a new seal (and an extra, since it was basically free due to a $10 order minimum) and it's installed. It took some convincing to get in the hole, but it's seated and seems like it was made to go there (imagine that!).

After finishing with the seal (and giving it a slight de-greasing bath) I moved on to the carb once again. Long and short of it: I'm going to need to rebuild it. At least that's what I've been told by a couple people. There's a small side diaphragm assembly (http://www.johnburrcycles.com/fiche...ry=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1992&fveh=490) [the thing in between objects 6 & 17] which needs to be replaced since it's currently being held on (and together, it's in pieces) by some JB Weld. Additionally, I need new jets. The pilot jet is completely stripped out and I can't remove it, largely due to the last guy who offered to help out: my father. Heavy-handedness + brass screw = no more screw head. I've got a friend with a milling machine, so I'm going to go plead for help in drilling out the jet and re-tapping the threads. It's either that or I'm going to need a new carb. At least those are the only options I can see right now.

On to the engine: Leaking oil for the valve covers, the front particularly. Not a big deal, it's a liquid heat-exchange for the front of the motor :D and that way it looks cool and smokes when I'm stopped. So new gaskets for those. I'm really (REALLY) hesitant to take the motor off the bike, since it IS the lower frame. Seems like a lot of work to do in my driveway since I don't have a shop to work in. Everything has to be re-assembled and put away or it will grow legs between the times I can work on it. I've yet to check for blow-by since I don't want to start the bike without oil (someone once said that engines need the stuff, but I can't imagine why :huh I mean, scraping sounds means its working, right?). Basically, at this point the whole thing gets shelved until I find a new job. Lol for anyone who read the ride report: Work is pissed. They don't actually have anything on me, since I was under doctor's orders not to be there. But I now have 1 day (5 hours) a week for the forseeable future. And the supervisor REALLY doesn't like it when you tell HR about him breaking labor laws, so I'm on the shit list permanently.

Anyway, enough ranting. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to ideas now XD Though I need to work out a bit more before I can do the male-stripper-lumberjack thing. Things jiggle that shouldn't jiggle for that. :lol3
  2. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    I have a TTR225 which is mostly the same bike set up as a begginer trail bike. That plastic thing on the side of the carb breaks on everyone and Yamaha does not sell that part, only whole carbs. It is poorly designed and will crack as soon as you torque the screws that hold it. I did not find a source for that plastic thing and ended up using JB weld like everyone else.

Also those carbs are notorious for cloggin up if you leave gas in the bowl for a few days. I just drain the carb bowl before putting it away. Otherwise you can shut off the petcock and let it run until all the gas is gone.

Check the XT225 forums. A lot of XT fans replace the stock CV carb with a Mikuni pumper. I think you need to modify or fabricate a bracket to hold the throttle cable.
  3. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Dave at Motohelp sells the part.

He has a connection and I believe he said they retail for around $60.

http://www.motohelp.com

Tell him John Gil sent you.:freaky
  4. Maliwal

Maliwal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic, thanks guys. I'm afraid a new carb is out of the question, though that would probably be really nice. The carb isn't clogged (this time), it was actually surprisingly clean.

In other news, I also cracked the upper diaphragm cover today. All four bolt holes split out without much pressure. Joy oh joy XD

John, you're awesome. I've got Dave's page and ebay bookmarked and as soon as I find another job, I'll be ordering that cover. I don't see the upper cover anywhere though, so I'm going to have to be creative there.

I'm thinking that I'll try to scrounge enough cash to buy a liter of oil and check for blow-by, and go from there =o
  5. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Just call Dave. He will keep you on two wheels. He has a small shop, but has a lot of resources.

Ride on!
  6. Maliwal

Maliwal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey again folks, if anyone's still listening =o

Got my new carb in the mail the day before yesterday, got new jets in it yesterday, and spent most of yesterday and today making a custom choke cable since the nifty knob my buddy Mike gifted me won't fit this new carb and making a rather complex throttle cover / throttle cable bracket combo.

My documenting skills have fallen prey once more to a lack of forethought... A.K.A. I completely forgot to take pictures of the construction process. However, it runs! Almost like it should too =D Lol What I mean by that is it's in need of fine tuning, it's experiencing a loss of power at full throttle, it chokes and tries to die. I blame fuel mixture since it smells really rich.
  7. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Rode my xt225 from Dana Point to Eagle Id. 2 summers ago. Up coast to Carmel then east over Ebbits Pass 9,000 ft., covered in snow!!! Back home through Nev on Great Basin Hwy 93. Then to Vegas and home on I-15. Geared it up and 100 miles north of Vegas temp was 103, winds 35-40 mph. No faster than 38 in 3rd. put in 4th and with the wind and my fat ass it would shut down. Into the emergency lane every time a car or truck would almost run me over. It is 2" lower than the other lanes so is was like MXing for 200 miles. Terrible ride home from Vegas but great ride overall. 2.5 weeks 2500 miles.
    Trucked my tw200 to Eagle Id. last summer and rode with friend, xt225, to Yellowstone, Tetons and back to Eagle. 1750 miles camping, for 10 days, great fun. Sweetheart said no more adventures unless get bigger and safer bike for freeways so now have dr650, great bike but smaller bikes are WAY better for me off road.
    Freind came down from Id and we rode from Dana To Julian and Anza-Borrego. Camped and got up to ride up Coyote Cyn.
    4 sections of big rock uphill, he made it on his xt, no problem. I fell 3 times going up and once going down!!!! YIKES.
    Just got stiffer spring and am trying again. xts are great. Keep yours and have a blast plus 75 mpg.

Heirhead
  8. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I know you guys love your XT225's ... I only wish I could share your enthusiasm. In easy dirt going they work fine for just putting along at moderate pace in easy off road conditions. I've ridden my buddies wife's bike around in the Mojave and it did pretty good on well groomed trails and Desert roads.

Rode another friends XT225 Serow on some fast two lane twisties and I had a hard time keeping up with the group. (Mostly KLR's. DR's, a couple GS's) I swapped back with the owner who was on my DR650. He ended up buying a BMW F650GS after that, sold off his XT225.
    (I tried to warn him!! :D )

YES! the DR650 is tougher to handle off road, but I would not give up. There is a way to ride the DR650 off road (within reason of course ... it's no moto crosser or Trials bike!)

I came from an XR250 to my DR650. I sort of had to re-learn dirt riding on the big DR. With some practice and change of techniques, I now do pretty good. Nothing knarly mind you and most at moderate pace, but with good knobbies and suspension work, the DR works pretty well ... even in deep Baja sand! (this really surprised me!!)

And of course, on road it rocks. My DR did great on the several Baja rides I've done ... no, I did not truck the bike to Baja, I rode it down from SF Bay Area ... and back. Once there I did some off road. (mild stuff) Not bad at all ... and I could still cruise at 80 mph on highway!

[​IMG]
    Nice ride out to Moab, UT from SF Bay Area ... not in a truck. Rode Moab for a week, then rode the bike back.

[​IMG]
    Following the Baja 1000 course near Loreto, BC. I rode the DR650 there ... and back from SF Bay Area. Bike now at 45,000 miles.
  9. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    You fell while off-roading?!?!?! Oh my. Unheard of. :rolleyes:lol3