tiger 800xc crash bars

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ButtonPushingMonkey, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ButtonPushingMonkey

ButtonPushingMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am getting ready to bend up a set of crash bars to protect the engine, tank and radiator and was hoping to get some of you with bars to post up pics of your installed bars to help knock the cobwebs loose so I can get started.

If you can include the diameter of the tubing and what you think could be improved that would be cool. Not a vendor, just a guy with a bender wasting away in the garage
  2. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are great pics of the Motech on the Twisted Throttle website. I did a good bit of looking and those are what I went with. The only others that provided similar coverage were the Hebco's and they consisted of two parts per side and were significantly more complex for no increase in protection.
  3. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    One of the best options for crash bars is the Holan bars. They go for 250 bucks and protect engine and sides of radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you already have the stock crash bars then adding a Touratech upper crash bar/radiator guard will accomplish the same thing. They go for 196 bucks and look pretty cool in conjunction with the stock crash bar.

[​IMG]
  4. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    How beefy are bars makes no difference, it is mount system that matters.
    Setup from ALT have same kind of mount as Hepco bars. And those are known to break cylinder wall with top mount. Generally - on those bars mount system is totally inadequate for this tubing.
  6. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    They also leave the engine exposed. Poor design over all i think. Not ridiculous like Happy Trails but they could have done better.

[​IMG]
  7. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to Altrider's webpage:

"100% made in the USA, these Tiger bars utilize the strongest mounting points the bike has to offer. Like all AltRider engineered crash bars, these will fit seamlessly without any grinding or bending on your part. Unlike other crash bars, we don’t use flanges or weak tabs and are not hung, they’re actually mounted."

Of course what they claim in their ad may not be absolutely correct. :wink:
  8. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    They make good stuff and i doubt there will be a problem but that said i don't think its a well thought out design.
  9. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    A good design offers good protection and also compliments the ascetics of the motorcycle. Functionality is one consideration but style is another.
  11. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Happy Trails indeed well thought and made good. Just ugly. Usually this would not bother me but...I must admit. 800XC is my first ever brand-new bike, I always had second hands or ex-demo before. I can't force myself to make it ugly :) so I went with Triumph bars + Touratech tank bars :)
    Vegas800XC likes this.
  12. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    If I'm going that far, I would just put on outriggers. :lol3
  13. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Scaffolding

[​IMG]
  14. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Just like the police; crashbars are there to "Protect and Serve".

[​IMG]

If pretty mattered there wouldn't be any tankbags, top boxes or V-Stroms....:D
    CodyECSL and mint julep like this.
  15. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails, while (in my experience) strong and utilitarian, never seems to give a thought to aesthetics. I know most dual-sports are kinda ugly anyway, but why make em uglier if you don't have to.

I don't have a pic to post, but I put GIVI bars on my Tiger 800. They mount to the cylinder mount in front, and to the rear engine mount behind the footpegs in the rear. I haven't tested them, but they look like they would protect the engine well enough. The radiator/tank shrouds, maybe not so much. I think I paid 180 or so for mine. They just baaaaarely fit behind the shifter linkage.
  16. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, while the HT bars aren't as svelte as some of the other options, I don't think they're bad looking. And considering the amount of protection they provide for the price, I don't think they're a bad choice at all. If we're critiquing the way crash bars look, I think the Hepco upper bars are the least appealing--they make the bike look like it's wearing a retainer. But in any case, if you're looking for sex appeal in your motorcycle, then you're barking up the wrong tree with a dual sport/ADV bike. Sure, WE like them, but our views aren't exactly objective here.
  17. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    The Happy Trails racks would be impressive if one of you made them in your garage. I would say bravo excellent work!! But for commercial guards they have a hobby shop type look to them. They are 250 bucks the same price as the Holan guards but don't wrap around the bike like the Holan bars. The Holans represent better quality and more professional workmanship. When they are the same price why not go for the better choice?

Holan
    [​IMG]

Happy Trails
    [​IMG]
  18. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree the Holans look nice and for the same price I would opt for them over the HTs too. Only thing is that the Holans are only available for pre-order from the link you posted, and it looks like their previous US distributor gave up on them. http://holanusa.com/ While the end product may be good, what little I've seen about their business practices don't inspire confidence.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards the SW Motech crash bars myself.
  19. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    The new distributor has a thread on advrider. You do have a valid concern. Once you order you'll probably have to wait longer for the product.
  20. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's function over form for me! The Holan guards provide little tank protection.....too each thier own:D